EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the backup light from the tailgate? The Owners' Manual tells you how to remove the tailight, but I don't see the backup light anywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Just curious, why do you want to remove it, to make a modification?
Maybe your dealer service manager can help you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was "on the road" and the bulb burned-out, how would I replace it?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. In my many decades of driving, with dozens of different cars, I have not once had a back-up light bulb burn out. In that time, I had only one tail light bulb burn out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I was just referring to removing the unit to replace the back-up bulb AND/OR the tail-light bulb. I realize that the back-up bulb may not be an issue, but the tail-light bulb is definately one. Again, how do you remove the housing for replacement, or do you have to "pop out" the whole rear panel of the hatch?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Wait till it goes out first of all, then either look in the manual as you said it tells you how to replace the tail light bulb, or take it somewhere. If it aint broke don't fix it (or worry about it). maybe I miss understood you, but the bulb isn't burned out yet, you are just wondering how to replace it if it does? ???

G

·
well, there are two back up lights, and there only used when backing up, i doubt both will burn out at once, also a back up light isn't that important, unlike tail lights, so dont worry, when it does burn out, just take it to the dealer and have it replaced, or even you local mechnic. :cheers:

·
Registered
432 Posts

KCorey said:
Actually, I was just referring to removing the unit to replace the back-up bulb AND/OR the tail-light bulb. I realize that the back-up bulb may not be an issue, but the tail-light bulb is definately one. Again, how do you remove the housing for replacement, or do you have to "pop out" the whole rear panel of the hatch?
The other day I noticed that the right side back-up light didn't come on, so I searched our trusty Forum and found this thread. Today, I had the E in for a fix by my nearby Buick dealer (not my home dealership 20 miles away). Sure enough, the entire lift gate trim panel has to be removed to access the lamp socket! This definitely something you don't want to do yourself. It requires a "trim panel removal tool" and there are lots of panel retainers and clips to keep up with. The E was in the shop 41 minutes for this little warranty item. (Bulb is Part # 12450313, BTW) Ah for the good old days when you just popped the cover off the light panel and changed the bulbs yourself! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
LOL...... Ah for the good old days when you just popped the cover off the light panel and changed the bulbs yourself! :banghead:

And coffee was .50 cents a pound! ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got too curious and had to find the answer to this. Yes...it's a big job...here goes.
Open the gate. Remove the pull-down handle (on the right side)...it's held on with 2 screws, then "snap" in half. On the bottom edge of the door (near the latch) are 2 plastic "snap catches". Look at it closely...the center pops down (use a small screwdriver), which sort of releases a locking device, then very easily pry the whole plug out. Then...gradually (and gently) snap the plastic rivet-like plugs out (there's about 5 of them). Finally, gently push (or lift) the whole assembly. On the top (by the window) are 2 metal slotted hold-downs and a sticky rubber cushion. It took me about 1/2 and hour to remove it, and about 5 minutes to put it back. I installed a back-up camera, and it's really easy once you do it. Just don't force anything, and take your time. Oh, it's the only way to replace the back-up light bulbs, too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
KCorey said:
I just got too curious and had to find the answer to this. Yes...it's a big job...here goes.
Open the gate. Remove the pull-down handle (on the right side)...it's held on with 2 screws, then "snap" in half. On the bottom edge of the door (near the latch) are 2 plastic "snap catches". Look at it closely...the center pops down (use a small screwdriver), which sort of releases a locking device, then very easily pry the whole plug out. Then...gradually (and gently) snap the plastic rivet-like plugs out (there's about 5 of them). Finally, gently push (or lift) the whole assembly. On the top (by the window) are 2 metal slotted hold-downs and a sticky rubber cushion. It took me about 1/2 and hour to remove it, and about 5 minutes to put it back. I installed a back-up camera, and it's really easy once you do it. Just don't force anything, and take your time. Oh, it's the only way to replace the back-up light bulbs, too.
LEDs would eliminate the need for rear bulb changes, but Buick decided the LED "dotty look" wouldn't be classy enough for the Enclave. ::)

·
Registered
432 Posts
KCorey said:
I nominate KCorey for a bravery medal! When I saw the tech manual diagrams and instructions to remove the lift gate panel, I knew this was not a job for me! ;D And, always good advice in all Enclave tinkering: "Just don't force anything, and take your time." :thumb:

·
Registered
389 Posts
lingohocken said:
LEDs would eliminate the need for rear bulb changes, but Buick decided the LED "dotty look" wouldn't be classy enough for the Enclave. ::)
I see burned out LEDs all the time. They most certainly do not last forever. On the other hand, my '99 Silverado has yet to burn oout a bulb.

·
Registered
314 Posts
rwagoner said:
I see burned out LEDs all the time. They most certainly do not last forever. On the other hand, my '99 Silverado has yet to burn oout a bulb.
Absolutely, "LED" is not a sure-fire bet for longevity, and certain types of incandescent bulbs can last and last. It all depends on the specifics of the current applied to the LEDs, along with the quality of the LEDs themselves. Properly done, LEDs can last thousands of hours, as we've found in various electronic devices at our company, where for decades we've regularly tested and owned hardware which includes them.

BTW, the longest-lasting incandescents are the original carbon filament models from Edison and subsequent replicas. At our home, which is over 200 years old, we have about two dozen replica bulbs that have been running quite regularly for a good quarter of a century, giving off a period yellow glow. There have been no failures except one, obviously defective, that died almost from the get-go. But they do darken slightly over time as carbon dust sloughs off and lightly coats the inside of the globe. (In terms of lumens, however, they are terribly inefficient. Mr. Gore would be most displeased.)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
lingohocken , most exc story! I have a couple of them myself. love the shape. And don't forget a bulb (no-led) burns out when you shut it off. So keep'm burning! And yes, ideally LED's do last a long time, but Murphy is out there ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
KCorey said:

·
Registered
9 Posts
KCorey said:
This job took me about 30 minutes total, 20 of which were putting the fascia on/off. Pretty easy.

Added pics to help out. Gallery forum pics are broken so added to flickr. I am a newbie on the forum so can't post photos. If @moderator will grant access, I will fix the links.

Remove the pull-down handle (on the right side)...it snaps off by inserting a small flat headed screwdriver here:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631110861

Handle removed
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631112777

Close up of handle showing tabs
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631111259

On the bottom edge of the hatch (near the latch) are 2 plastic "snap catches". Shown with the centers removed
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631111937

Look at it closely...the center pops down (use a small screwdriver), which sort of releases a locking device, then very easily pry the whole plug out. Close up of center and plugs
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631112361

Then...gradually (and gently) snap the plastic rivet-like plugs out (there's about 5 of them).

Hatch shown with bottom plugs pulled:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631113791

Driver side view:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631113131

I did not remove the 2 metal slotted hold downs and the rubber cushion noted by @KCorey. I just unscrewed the reverse light (clockwise to remove I think, counter clockwise to put back in). Shown with bulb in:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631114941

Shown with bulb out:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631115343

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
jgATL isn't able to post full URLs yet because he doesn't have 10 posts, so he wisely posted an easily converted URL.

For example, he posted:
flicker dot com/photos/[email protected]/6631113131 so you need to replce his "dot" with a dot, like this:
flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631113131

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
installer said:
jgATL,

Thanks, but I know nothing about Flicker.....how do I view the pix?

Thank you.
flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631110861

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631112777

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631111259

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631111937

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631112361

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631113791

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631113131

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631114941

flicker.com/photos/[email protected]/6631115343

Paste each link into your browser to see each picture. That's the only way I know how to do it. That's why I'm still spinning at 33 1/3 RPM in an MP3 world! :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts