EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our Enclave experienced its first "real snow test today". Handled quite well on "very slippery roads". Had our first good ole' UP whiteout this morning. We noticed that when putting the vehicle into reverse after it had sat the afternoon in the snow storm, it was beeping rapidly. We think that it had a build up of snow and ice on the sensors in the rear bumper. Anyone else had this happen?

We checked the back bumper and it was full of snow, so I brushed off what I could, but it still sounded off when we shifted to back up. I just let it go for now, but will check the sensor areas tomorrow for "ice build up". If it is the case, this will be happening alot because of the wind driven snow that gets on the back of the vehicle as you travel on snow covered roads!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its normal. Happened last year on the sensors on our SV6.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah.... It happened to me last week too then the sensors shut off..... All I can say is it is something I have to get used too because there is a whole lot of winter left to go like I always say " welcome to Wisconsin where you have 8 months of winter and 4 months of bad sledding" this being said you all take care at least those of us that have to drive in this crap.... as with any new vehicle there is always a little learning curve especially on snow and ice, take it slow...... I must say I was impressed with how mine handled.
All the best
Rob

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
This may be somewhat inconvenient but a suggestion that works...grab a bottle or can of windshield deicer and after you clean the snow and ice off, spray some on the sensors, it will melt what is left off the sensors. I had a Mountaineer that used to do the same thing and I would spray the sensors and it worked perfectly...!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
By sensors are you just referring to the camera or are there more and if so, where are they?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are sensors in the back bumper that warn you of an object in your path..... while backing up. It comes with the Drivers Confidence Package.

The ice/snow build up gives you a rapid beep, meaning "something is very close". In this case it was snow and ice. I like the suggestion of the spray on de-icer. Thanks for the tip!!!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
juglake said:
There are sensors in the back bumper that warn you of an object in your path..... while backing up. It comes with the Drivers Confidence Package.

The ice/snow build up gives you a rapid beep, meaning "something is very close". In this case it was snow and ice. I like the suggestion of the spray on de-icer. Thanks for the tip!!!!
Yes, I know how it works, I have the option, I just have not investigated where the bumper sensors are, I can check the manual tonight though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
They are the four round/square items in the back bumper. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
xrayman said:
They are the four round/square items in the back bumper. :thumb:
Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is the Power liftgate tied into these sensors in any way, i.e. does it not open if something is deemed too close?

·
Registered
214 Posts
New2Buick said:
Is the Power liftgate tied into these sensors in any way, i.e. does it not open if something is deemed too close?
I don't believe so. Reads as if it has to make contact with an obstacle to reverse. Have to hope for a soft encounter. ::)
Obstacle Detection Features
If the liftgate encounters an obstacle during a power
open or close cycle, a warning chime will sound and the
liftgate will automatically reverse direction to the full
closed or open position. After removing the obstruction,
the power liftgate operation can be used again. If the
liftgate encounters multiple obstacles on the same power
cycle, the power function will deactivate, and you must
manually open or close the liftgate. The LIFTGATE
OPEN warning message in the Driver Information Center
(DIC) will indicate that the liftgate is open. After removing
the obstructions, manually open the liftgate to the full
open position or close the liftgate to the fully closed and
latched position. The liftgate will now resume normal
power operation.

Wayne[/color]

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I believe the back-up sensors can be turned OFF thru the DIC options on dash. BUT remember to turn back on as it's a life saver!!! And yes, they are supposed to turn off automatically after a minute(?) or so, till next few back-ups, to relieve above concerns and give your ears a rest. No snow here yet so haven't experienced.............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts