·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
✖ 2MuchCoffee has removed the content of this original post. ✖

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looking like the standard mirror - wonder how hard it would be to replace the '08 mirror with the new one and hook up a front camera :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is pretty cool. I think the rear visibility is my #2 complaint of the vehicle. We just installed a NAV system and I can't wait until it warms up so I can install the rear camera.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
I just perused the official Chevrolet Traverse site and grabbed this picture of the TR's backup camera display. We don't have the backup feature (no navigation, except for OnStar). Is this like E's system or is it new to TR? (Click pix to enlarge.)
This new to GM, as far as I know. Enclave uses the 7" Nav screen to display camera when you put shifter in reverse. Many aftermarket co offer a mirror/cam package, but interfacing with Onstar mirror controls may prove difficult? Someone makes one that fits under the sunvisor. you must flip it down to see it, or you can mount elsewhere I'm sure.

This is a good way to offer the reverse Cam w/o having to buy the Nav system. Good for Chevy!

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is interesting, but I what I would really like is a way to see the backup camera when I am turn around and looking where I'm going! Right now when I backup I feel like a spectator at a ping-pong tourney, looking behind me, looking at the screen, looking behind me....

·
Registered
717 Posts
jbradfor said:
That is interesting, but I what I would really like is a way to see the backup camera when I am turn around and looking where I'm going! Right now when I backup I feel like a spectator at a ping-pong tourney, looking behind me, looking at the screen, looking behind me....
Ive come to the conclusion that the backup camera system is good for:

1. Check and make sure no one is behind you
2. When it beeps - using the screen to help squeeze out the last few inches if needed

Otherwise its all windows for me :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that's too tiny?? ??? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the backup camera view on the 7". Yeah, I feel like I'm at a ping pong match too, but I like the larger view.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
I really think the display is way too low for safe looking at. The predicted performance advantages of higher display include increased eyes-on-the-road time and reduced reaccommodation time, particularly for the older driver. This Lexus RX has it higher. Compare that to E's down low position. I think, given the E's cute clock, that the top of the dash compartment could pop up with a nav screen to view when needed. That would permit the driver to glance right to the screen and not drop eyes down from the road ahead. It could pop up on demand for navigation and pop up automatically upon shift to reverse if not already up. Think about it. Remember to click the thumbs here to enlarge. :)
As in the Enclave: As in the Lexus:
According to Buick literature, they put it lower so it was not affected so much by sun glare. I love it where it is and use it all the time for backing up. That doesn't mean it replaces the mirrors, but I use all three. My Pilot screen was higher and the glare from the sun made it useless quite often.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
That's valid. What do you think of the TR approach at the top of this topic? Is the screen too tiny?
I can see how they are trying to give an alternative to not having the nav, but having a back up camera, however, it does look too small to me and I think it would bug me as I would not be able to see out of the left side of the mirror, sort of an instant blind spot even though it shows you directly behind the car. I don't think I would like it. In all fairness, I have not tried it of course.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
All good points. I really use mine regularly to see if anything is IMMEDIATELY behind me, below sight line EG...a bike, a little kid, a tool, etc.

We tested, and the camera sees from right at the bumpers edge, almost straight down! Incredible. In other words, to remain concealed, the "item" would have to be under and forward of the rear bumper. No mirrors or eyes can do that from drivers seat. Helps when parking too.

Mirror camera is definitely small, but again, it will see what mirrors and eyes miss. (haven't tried it, but assume similar view angles/perspectives?) And with new Turn-By-Turn Onstar, a real econo- alternative to a $2,000 Nav Sys.

2 cents ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as being an instant blind spot, I would imagine that as soon as you put the car in drive, that little monitor turns off and all you see is mirror.

As far as I'm concerned, the rear camera is almost a requirement for this vehicle. The door into my house that we use all the time is near the back of our Enclave when it is parked in "the spot". Basically, I fear that a little one is going to wonder behind me while I'm backing out. That is why I really want the back up camera. I also suggest it if you have Little Ones in your area. Not saying you have to spend the 2500 on the NAV, just a thought. We went without and bought one off EBAY. Only 800 and I had it installed in about 2 hours. Now I just need the camera.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Richbub said:
As far as being an instant blind spot, I would imagine that as soon as you put the car in drive, that little monitor turns off and all you see is mirror.

As far as I'm concerned, the rear camera is almost a requirement for this vehicle. The door into my house that we use all the time is near the back of our Enclave when it is parked in "the spot". Basically, I fear that a little one is going to wonder behind me while I'm backing out. That is why I really want the back up camera. I also suggest it if you have Little Ones in your area. Not saying you have to spend the 2500 on the NAV, just a thought. We went without and bought one off EBAY. Only 800 and I had it installed in about 2 hours. Now I just need the camera.
No offense, but when I am in drive, I am not as concerned about a blind spot on the rear view mirror, I was thinking more of when I was backing up and seeing to the left side of the vehicle...but I have not tried this mirror camera, so I can't say for sure. It just looks a little annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Costco has a backup camera that works fine and its only $89. Easy to install and the screen is large and wireless so you can put where ever you want.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
dale said:
Costco has a backup camera that works fine and its only $89. Easy to install and the screen is large and wireless so you can put where ever you want.
Thanks dale, Great price. All you might really want to add is an automatic switch (connect to rear back-up light power) so camera is not on while driving, if you leave the built-in switch ON. :thumb: Any shop can do for about $50. Yes, good deal! I'm gonna look at one for my Yukon! :thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Having driven two Windstars and the current one has the audible backup system I would not be without it. When I had the demo Enclave overnight I found the camera was fantastic. I know with the Windstar's audible system it saved my butt many times. Especially in parking lots when backing up and someone walks behind you out of no where. In fact last summer I rented a Cadillac CTS and backed it into a post even though I was really careful but it was impossible to see anything with the crappy rear window and mirrors.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Yes, I can see the pod if I "scrunch" to shorten myself. With my normal mirror position and my height
My problem, too - I'm 6'4" and there's no way I can see the lights where they are mounted. Luckily, I don't care to see them... I can hear the warning, and I have the backup camera.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry guys, but I'm a towering 5'10" ! :D I can see them. And yes , Coffee "dorky" would be one way to describe such a back mirror!! ;) ;D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, I am 5'7" and I can't see them unless I duck down. It could be Smokin, that you are long in the torso and have short legs like my TechnoMarvel. He positions the seat low and forward and I position it high with the seat back. I just about break my kneecaps on the dash when I get in a car he just got out of.

·
Registered
743 Posts
rockyp said:
My problem, too - I'm 6'4" and there's no way I can see the lights where they are mounted. Luckily, I don't care to see them... I can hear the warning, and I have the backup camera.
I'm in the same Boat. I'm 6'2 1/2". I wasn't even aware of this feature until last night after reading these comments. I use my RV Camera and Mirrors. I had never seen the Lights before but if I slump down in the Seat, I can see them even with the Rear DVD. 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts