EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Bad Throttle Body

32K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Dannycurt 
#1 ·
I am getting code P2135 in my Buick enclave it came out to be bad throttle body can, I install the throttle body myself looks easy only see four blots holding it on and one connector that plugs into the back of the throttle body. Asking because dealership wants $661.00 to replace it.

#3 ·
About $150 on rockauto. There is a relearn but if you do nothing, it may run rough for a day or two till it learns how to behave. Make sure the ignition is off, and that you release the retainer on the electrical connector properly so it doesn't break. Four bolts off, reuse gasket, four bolts on and you are done. Well you do need to remove the air intake and replace it, 20 minute minimum job.

#4 ·
My car is still acting up. Just today it kept stalling after starting. It is still jerky when driving down the road. Is it possible that it did not 'relearn' its codes after installing the new throttle body? The other night I got the trio of lights again....check for milkshake and everything was clean.

#7 ·
here is the relearn procedure as per service manual.
Throttle Learn
Description
The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle body to ensure the correct
idle operation. Anytime the ECM or the throttle body is replaced, the ECM must learn the idle
position. The engine idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the idle position is not learned.
Conditions for Running the Idle Learn Procedure
Idle Learn Procedure
Note:
1. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF for 60 seconds.
3. Turn OFF the ignition.
4. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
5. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
• DTCs P0121, P0122, P0123, P0221, P0222, P0223, P0638, P2100, P2101, P2105, and P2119
are not set.
• The engine speed is less than 40 RPM.
• The vehicle speed is 0 km/h (0 mph).
• The accelerator pedal position is less than 14.9 percent.
• The ignition 1 voltage is more than 10 volts.
• The engine coolant temperature is between 5-85°C (41-185°F).
• The intake air temperature is between 5-60°C (41-140°F).
• Ensure the above conditions are met before performing with this procedure.
• Do not perform this procedure if a throttle position (TP) sensor or other throttle
actuator control (TAC) system DTCs are set other than P2176. The ECM will not perform
the idle learn procedure with a DTC set.
© 2010 GM

#9 ·
Enclave26 said:
I didn't have to do a relearn on the New Throttle Body Enclave runs much better with new Throttle body, installed. :thumb:
Glad to hear that the replacement worked out for you!

#13 ·
This is an old posting, but I am having an issue with my 2011 Buick Enclave with codes pointing to this same problem. I called the dealer and I was told the cost of replacing a throttle body is $1,500-2,000 because the throttle body is located in the back of the engine and they need to pull the engine to get to it. Can you tell me if this is accurate?, since you replaced yours did you find it located at the back of the engine? Thanks

#18 ·
Not only never return but post a review so nobody else goes there. This is a 15 minute job with the couple tools ready you need. Don’t pay someone to do it. My enclave is a pos- replaced transmission motor, radiator, hoses. Almost everything. Paid more than 15k into it. Worse car ever had but went down the rabbit hole and got to point of no return.

#15 ·
The throttle body is fully accessible on the top of the engine, driver's side - it's what the large black air intake hose is connected to. If you're 100% that they are quoting for the throttle body, then never return to that dealership again.
Thank you for the input!
They replaced the engine in this vehicle about 4 months ago. I don't have more than 8k miles on this new engine. I am totally p o that they would not have told me then that this part should be replaced. They couldn't simply look at it and say - 'replace it now' while we have the engine out? Plus, now saying it is on the back side of the engine? Definitely not going to return to them.

#17 ·
It isn't a part that we see go totally bad, usually it only requires a good cleaning at least once a year. Remove connector, remove air intake snorkel, four bolts, remove TB, install new one, maybe new gasket, re-connect the connector, replace air snorkel. 1/2 hour job. Relearn procedure another 1/2 hour. Sounds like the dealer is slow and needs to make up some lost income.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.