EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
axiama said:
Is anyone planning to follow the oil life display on the dash? I'm at 78% oil life with 850 miles on the Enclave. Usually I change the oil twice a year which is approx every 5,000 - 6,000 miles. :jaw:
This should actually be normal, should it not? The oil life indicator counts down. If you are at 78% and 850 miles, that means you would be do for an oil change at roughly 4250 miles, which sounds reasonable to me. You are supposedly due when it reads 0%, fresh oil starts at 100%. The system is supposedly smart enough to know what type of driving you are doing so the oil monitor will last longer with freeway driving rather than stop and go driving.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think the 4,000 etimate is due to stop and go driving. Others have mention almost 9,000 miles before it goes to zero, likely more highway miles

·
Registered
743 Posts
Also watch your Take offs, Jack Rabbits Starts, and Hiwy Speeds. All of that plus what the others have said will contribute to the decline.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I had a momentary case of dyslexia - I'm at 87% oil life. I'm lucky if I drive a full mile without having to stop for a red light or stop sign - if that makes a difference I don't know.

Yesterday, while stopped on a drawbridge in a rain storm (not fun, BTW) I researched this topic in my handy dandy owner's manual. According to the owners manual, the car will notify you when the oil needs to be changed by stating "oil level low." They then recommend that you change the oil within 600 miles. If a full year goes by and the car doesn't signal time for an oil change, change it anyway.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Even the best synthetics indicate the 1 year thing. Maybe the oil is only good for about a year after opening the bottle........ :drunk:

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks Canuck for that Info. That's good info but there are a few Die-hards from the old school. 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok, I went and had my oil changed yesterday, and after reading the above posts, checked my display. It shows oil at about 56%. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
krm said:
Ok, I went and had my oil changed yesterday, and after reading the above posts, checked my display. It shows oil at about 56%. Does that sound right?
The dealer or quick lube did not reset the oil life monitor. If reset properly, the oil life will again show 100% after a oil change. The reset is probably done by pressing buttons on the dash in a specific order - that is how it is done for our Odyssey.

·
Registered
577 Posts
krm said:
Check manual I think it indicates how to reset to 100%

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's correct. I've reset mine a few times in different cars. Also, you can take it back to the Service Dept that changed your oil and have them reset it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Consumer reports did an oil change study using NY taxi cabs. No significant wear difference after 100K miles on oil changed every 3000 versus other intervals, some much longer. http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

Mobil guarantees an interval of 15,000 miles for oil changes using their synthetic Mobil1 Extended Performance. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Those of you who follow your Dad's advice are not adjusting to the computer driven machining tolerances of a 2007 automotive engine. The engine computer knows what's up, and unless you drive in a very dusty area, it will calculate the rest based on number of starts, temp, city/hwy driving, rpms, etc.

save your money and follow the computer.

·
Registered
743 Posts
txag93 said:
Consumer reports did an oil change study using NY taxi cabs. No significant wear difference after 100K miles on oil changed every 3000 versus other intervals, some much longer. http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

Mobil guarantees an interval of 15,000 miles for oil changes using their synthetic Mobil1 Extended Performance. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Those of you who follow your Dad's advice are not adjusting to the computer driven machining tolerances of a 2007 automotive engine. The engine computer knows what's up, and unless you drive in a very dusty area, it will calculate the rest based on number of starts, temp, city/hwy driving, rpms, etc.

save your money and follow the computer.
I concur! 8)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts