EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Enclave with a tow package. The main reason is to carry 4 bikes and occasionally pull a waverunner (when I get my hands on it again).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to model/brand of the bike rack? I was considering hitch-mounted Thule Roadway…

Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Yakima hitch mount that I have been very happy with. I'm sure the Thule is just as good. I ordered mine online. I found a site that had a great sale going on - including free shipping!! I ended up getting the rack, the locks, two crossbars (for my kids bikes) and a 1 1/4" adapter shipped for close to what I would have paid for the rack alone in my local bike shop. Can I post the site on the forum? I guess I'll give it a try. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/ Check them out and watch for the free shipping sales. I bought the rack for my Equinox, which had a 1 1/4" hitch. What does the Enclave have? My Outlook didn't have the towing package, so I am going to have to get one added.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Which model did you end up getting?

I think Enclave has a 2" hitch...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Kingpin 4.  I've been very happy with it.  I can get it attached and get all the bikes on myself. 

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have "higher end" bikes that you are still paying off, you might consider the Thule T2 system - cyclingnews.com rated it very highly for the road bike racing crowd... It is pricey, but it definitely works well with the towing pkg.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TauDelt said:
If you have "higher end" bikes that you are still paying off, you might consider the Thule T2 system - cyclingnews.com rated it very highly for the road bike racing crowd... It is pricey, but it definitely works well with the towing pkg.
Thanks, but that's a liitle too much $$$ for my bikes.

I am trying to decide between Thule Roadway and Yakima Bighorn 4...

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sunshadw said:
I purchased the Softride Dura Rack. It pulls down parallel to the ground and makes loading fairly easy. We carry 4 mountain type bikes which fit, but I think taller thiner road bikes would load easier. The mfg. even uses a Lambda in its pics. ;D
http://www.fasttrackracks.com/p-119-softride-access-dura-bike-rack.aspx

Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. That's a really nice contender. Do you have any experience attaching women's or kids bikes to this rack? Will I need an adapter?

I wish I had $$ for the Elite version of this rack... :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
chumster said:
Thanks, Wayne. That's a really nice contender. Do you have any experience attaching women's or kids bikes to this rack? Will I need an adapter?

I wish I had $$ for the Elite version of this rack... :(
No adapter needed. My wifes bike is a smaller 16" frame model (the three others are 18"), and it loads OK but you have to maneuver around the water bottle bracket a bit more. I'm sure any size childs bike would fit also. We have to wedge cloth between some of the bike parts to keep from touching and scratching, but after a few falls we won't care as much.
Since we are all in our mid to late 60's, I'm sure the bikes will be able to take the jostling better than us. :cheers:

Wayne

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Based on recommendations on this thread, I purchased the Access Dura Softride 4 bike hitch mounted bike rack. I have to say it is very well made, solid, requires just a little assembly, and fits the Enclave like a glove. 2" rack, you do not need the hitch extender as the stock one gives plenty of room, it pulls away with the release of one handle, lowering the rack parallel to the ground and allows opening of the rear gate with lots of extra room. The only negative was the bike lock cable which pulled out from what is meant to be an anchor point. I would not have used that much anyway, but it is a defect that I will call them about.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased the Access Dura Softride 4 bike hitch mounted bike rack as well. did not use it yet though.

One thing about their Customer service - a small plastic piece was broken when I opened the box (really not an important part, I could live without it). I called them and it was in mailbox in 3 days, no questions asked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone purchased or have an opinion on the Buick/GM bike rack? My dealer is offering to supply it at cost as part of the purchase deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Will use an aftermarket hitch- no intention to tow anything just need the bike rack. Will go with the dealer rack. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
bsox said:
Based on recommendations on this thread, I purchased the Access Dura Softride 4 bike hitch mounted bike rack. I have to say it is very well made, solid, requires just a little assembly, and fits the Enclave like a glove. 2" rack, you do not need the hitch extender as the stock one gives plenty of room, it pulls away with the release of one handle, lowering the rack parallel to the ground and allows opening of the rear gate with lots of extra room. The only negative was the bike lock cable which pulled out from what is meant to be an anchor point. I would not have used that much anyway, but it is a defect that I will call them about.

... Posted by: sunshadw
I purchased the Softride Dura Rack. It pulls down parallel to the ground and makes loading fairly easy. We carry 4 mountain type bikes which fit, but I think taller thiner road bikes would load easier. The mfg. even uses a Lambda in its pics. Grin
http://www.fasttrackracks.com/p-119-softride-access-dura-bike-rack.aspx

Wayne
Thanks for both your recommendations. I'm going to checkout the Softride Dura ... Dick's Sporting goods carries it so I'll check a nearby store to see if they have it in stock.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My wife and I are considering getting bikes for next summer. Together with my kid's two bikes, we would need to carry four bicycles. However, my Enclave does not have the towing option. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
My wife and I are considering getting bikes for next summer. Together with my kid's two bikes, we would need to carry four bicycles. However, my Enclave does not have the towing option. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Throw a hitch on it and then you can install a bike rack; rbarrios posted a swing down bike rack so you can open the rear hatch without removing the rack

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
AA/78U said:
Throw a hitch on it and then you can install a bike rack; rbarrios posted a swing down bike rack so you can open the rear hatch without removing the rack
Looking into the Softride Dura mentioned earlier in this thread by bsox and sunshadw the Softride rack swings down while keeping bike rail parallel (I think the one from rbarrios post is a Thule rack which swings the bike rail down along with the upright.)

I learned there's also a Softride Dura with an Hydraulic assist; that should make it easier to swing the rack back up while the rail is loaded with bikes. but... there may be a problem opening the hatch as I don't know how much clearance is taken away by the hydraulic cylinder. Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GoldEnclave said:
You can go with a roof-mounted rack (many to chose from) or a trunk/rear mounted one (Saris makes great ones).

·
Registered
159 Posts
My two cents. If you're going to carry 4 bikes, go for Thule's 5 bike rack.

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/5826519.aspx

I have been carrying bikes for a family of four on hitch mount racks for years and switching to a larger rack is a wonderful thing. I had several 4 bike models and the biggest frustration was always the puzzle of actually fitting the four in the space provided. They don't leave a lot of room, and having a slightly larger rack is just a real luxery every time you have to load it. Thule's 5 bike tild down rack is a nice design that works well with the Lambdas. You can open the hatch when its tilted down (even with bikes on it). One of the nice things about the Thule is that it doesn't use pins for locking in various positions, there are releas handles and automatic latches so its a little easier for a single person to work with.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We've got a hitch mount 4-bike Hollywood rack. It swings down to get into the hatch, and when the bikes are not on it, it folds down as well. However, it's very hard to lower with bikes on, with one person. Really takes two, one to raise the bikes back in position, and one to put the pin back on the rack holding it upright. Ours just swings down, the bikes are not parallel with the ground, they just tilt in the same direction as the rack. (My wife kind of got stuck, I asked her to stay at the back to make sure the bikes didn't slam down, as I lowered the rack slowley, well, she kept going down under the bikes till she was almost on the ground! :eek: Next time we'll just take the bikes off before trying to get into the back). Anyway, here's a couple photos of last week where we took the bikes camping. I will say that the hardest thing about putting bikes on this rack is the kids's bikes (and women's frame bikes). Wow they are challenging to get on there right, not much clearance between the frame and chain guards, etc. PITA! But anyway, my bike goes on there perfectly, real easy loading my 17 year old TREK mountain bike. There's only 3 bikes on the rack in the photo, mine, then our friend's daughter's, then my oldest daughter's. We were able to put the little bike my 4 year old rides in the back with the luggage. Wife didn't take her bike this time. Anyway, I would say that the hitch mount rack is the way to go, vs. the ones that attach on the tailgate.....:thumbdown: Really would be worried with the bikes being too close to the vehicle. If you look in the photo, my bike is the closest to the tailgate, and even with the front tire turned, it doesn't come close to touching the car. Really nice peace of mind.

EDIT: GerryL, I agree with you about puzzling the bikes together, it's a tight fit for sure! (would like to see the type of rack that has hydraulic assist, that would be cool.)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts