EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Black carbon residue on exhaust tips

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Huskers 
#1 ·
Does everyone else seem to get black carbon build-up on the exhaust tips too often? It seems I remember someone else mentioning it, but don't know what they found out. I have to take a rag and wipe around the rim of the tips after every drive to remove the residue. Seems like only cars with a bad tune-up and a "rich" air-fuel mixture would do that so regularly. Maybe that is why the mileage is worse early on and improves around 2000+ miles as others have said. Does GM have the computer programmed to run a richer fuel mixture for the first couple thousand miles? Just curious.

#4 ·
Re: Black carbon build up on exhaust pipes.

Actually seems to only happen when it is raining and/or right after I have washed it and there is water inside the tips. I guess it is normal, just seems odd to happen so soon on a new vehicle.

#5 ·
Re: Black carbon build up on exhaust pipes.

Actually it is still happening. The below pic is taken only one day (and only about 50 miles of driving) after I had polished and cleaned the tips. What is going on? ??? Maybe there is something in the exhaust system that has to "burn away"? Any insight would be appreciated before I bring it up with the dealer.

Attachments

#7 ·
Mine isn't quite that bad, and probably not nearly so frequent. It does tend to get a little bit of carbon buildup there, especially after some rain/water gets down in the muffler, but it may be weeks before there is enough for me to worry about. I usually wash the 'clave every other weekend, and it is pretty light for the two weeks buildup. It comes off easily during washing. When my wife had it out of town for five weeks it went a month and a half between washings, and still wasn't quite that bad.

#8 ·
I have been meaning to check mine for you. I just went out to the lot, I have 2010 miles on it and I don't have any build up and have not washed the tips specifically, I have run it through auto washes, maybe that is enough that I can't see a build up, but they are really clean. Could yours be running too rich? Are you getting decent mpg?

Bsox

#9 ·
Our mpg is still around 15, but is ALL city driving and my wife drives like a bat out of _ _ _ _ ;D Haven't been on a "road trip" yet, but will in a couple of weeks. The residue builds up every single day and is there regardless of rain or no rain, so I am clueless. There is actually "condensation" coming out when first starting up the car (which isn't unusual), and as it runs out of the tips it leaves the black carbon residue that "deposits" on the lower part and underneath the tips as it runs out (ok, that sounded vulgar ::) ) Just seems strange for a brand new car.

#10 ·
CCAATS, Almost no build up at 4,000 miles! Occasional light cleaning done. Could this be a water drainage problem in the pipe?? As you stated, the water dripping out at cold starts is a normal phenomenon. Maybe it should drain through a "plugged hole" in the rear of tip??. I will look when wife gets back!

#11 ·
It is definitely happening from "condensation drainage mixed with black carbon in the exhaust system". The water running out of the exhaust is mixed with black carbon which deposits itself on the tips as it runs out. Obviously exhaust condensation has picked up in the last couple weeks because of colder temps here. Any my wife won't park in the garage because she is too scared of damaging the car (that and our cats stay in the garage at night and would sleep on the Enclave - :nono: ). She hit both mirrors and smashed the front bumper of our Montana trying to pull in/exit the garage, so I am glad she is parking outside. Many of you probably garage your Enclave, so that's why you aren't having this issue. Maybe it is normal. I noticed the same residue on the bottom of the exhaust tips on an '07 Acura MDX today, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about it, just keep some cloths handy ;D

#12 ·
I am seeing this as well. Maybe it is the cooler temps as you stated. No garage for us yet we are planning to build it next year...

#13 ·
I do garage mine in a semi-heated garage (never goes below 50 dgress). Thank God for power -fold-mirrors!! Can park otherwise , but it's tight! Damned builders couldn't give us 10 more inches????? Were cars so narrow in the 50's??? NOT!

Anyway, I would drill a small hole on bottom of pipe , ahead of tip, in attempt to drain water before it gets to end and stains! I had an OLDS that had a 1/4" hole drilled there, from factory!! Tips stayed nice. Just an idea.

#15 ·
My clave also leaves a residue on the exhaust tips. She currently has 5500 on the odometer. Weather doesn't seem to be a factor. Purchased the 'Clave in July - 90 degree VA temps, 40s-50s now and still see soot. I wash her every weekend so not too concerned. A neighbor has a Acadia with the same residue so it seems common to the 3.6 VVT motor.

#16 ·
I have the build up as well. I dont think it is anything that is uncommon. Any of my previous vehicles did the same thing. Hopefully the chrome is easier to clean and return to its original shine if you cant clean it regularly.

#18 ·
jerlem1 said:
I have the build up as well. I dont think it is anything that is uncommon. Any of my previous vehicles did the same thing. Hopefully the chrome is easier to clean and return to its original shine if you cant clean it regularly.
I only have less than 375 miles on mine and the Tips are still clean, but last week, I saw a New Enclave on the Dealers Lot and it also had the build up on the Tips.

#19 ·
Huskers said:
I can't believe I saw a green paw print sticker on your Enclave. :eek:
That would be from my kids elementary school.....they are the "Wildcats" and are green. Nice pick-up though :thumb:

Way off topic, but who are you guys gonna hire to coach the 'Huskers? You can't have Tommy Tuberville ;D

#20 ·
rocketman said:
I only have less than 375 miles on mine and the Tips are still clean, but last week, I saw a New Enclave on the Dealers Lot and it also had the build up on the Tips.
Rocketman, I think it has to be at certain climate conditions that cause condensation build up in the exhaust which picks up carbon build up inside the exhaust system and drains it out the tailpipe. On our way over to Atlanta last Wednesday, we didn't get any build-up the whole way and it was "mild 70s weather" the whole way. It obviously isn't limited to the Enclave as I have seen it on other vehicles with "chrome exhaust tips".

#22 ·
Enclavious said:
CCatts, My Enclave doesn't have this issue but I did notice a Mazda CX9 in front of had it on both exhausts.
Good, then that means my Enclave is as good as "The Motor Trend SUV of the Year"! :blob:

#23 ·
ccaats said:
Good, then that means my Enclave is as good as "The Motor Trend SUV of the Year"! :blob:
Wonder how the recirc button works in that baby... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :beer:

#24 ·
ccaats said:
That's funny. Way to go ccaats !

#25 ·
ccaats said:
That would be from my kids elementary school.....they are the "Wildcats" and are green. Nice pick-up though :thumb:

Way off topic, but who are you guys gonna hire to coach the 'Huskers? You can't have Tommy Tuberville ;D
Osborne will hire Bo Pelini IMO but others being interviewed are Turner Gill, Jim Grobe, Paul Johnson, and the Cincinatti, South FL and TCU coaches. NU will keep a couple of their assistants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.