EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took ownership of our 2012 Enclave night before last. We noticed that the black part between the edge of the door and the glass is "smudged" and has some wear/fingerprints on it where I guess the previous owners/dealer had been closing the doors. It's more on the driver side than passenger but all 4 doors are showing some sort of "wear" at these locations. With it being a flat black and some kind of film overlay, are there any suggestions as to how to clean this and get it back to where it was? I don't want to put the wrong stuff on it and cause the black to start peeling or anything. I don't have enough posts to post photos so I hope I'm giving a good description as to where I'm talking about.

Thanks ahead of time for comments/suggestions.

John

·
Registered
121 Posts
Often black trim is as much dirty as its faded. Your term of it looking worn has me thinking it's mostly dirty. I would try to clean it first with some isopropyl alcohol. Try a 50 50 dilution with water. If it doesn't work then Go stronger. Alcohol is in every good detailer's toolbox.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Or you could just pull it all off of the doors all together. The body color is painted under it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, Shenna_John!

You can do a SEARCH on the forums by using the SEARCH button on the top right hand side of the page'

One result when I searched "black door post trim" is linked below with some very good information.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=28889.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I cleaned it to no avail. We have a local flea market where I have been buying from a guy that makes his own polish, compound, glass cleaner, acid rain remover, tire dressing, etc. and he's very reasonable. And the stuff works. The glass cleaner is AWESOME. You put it on just like windex or any other glass cleaner and it will not fog. You can actually run your fingers across it after putting it on and there are NO finger prints. Water sheds right off of it. Anyway, I went Sunday morning and had him walk out and look at it. It's worn. However, he told me to put some of his Blue Conditioner on it with a sponge and it would HELP. I got it home, washed and polished the car and then put that on and while it didn't bring it all back, it done a **** of a job on it and all the black trim. I went around the doors and wiped the rubber molding, front air dam, behind the side mirrors, wiper blade arms and it looks awesome. Thank you guys again. Just made an appointment to have the windows tinted next Thursday. Maybe by then, I'll have enough posts then to post photos.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts