EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AP reports http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Blind-Spot-Mirrors.html that Ford, in particular, and possibly GM will be offering blind-spot mirrors to help reduce crashes resulting from changing lanes:
If all cars were equipped with the blind-spot mirrors, Megge said he is confident the number of crashes would be reduced.

''That tells me that potentially this could have an effect on nearly 9 percent of the traffic crashes in Michigan,'' he said. ''People don't just change lanes when they know somebody's there. When these sideswipe same (direction) crashes occur, people don't see the other car.''

Ford isn't alone in its pursuit of the new mirrors. General Motors Corp. and other automakers also are considering them, although GM hasn't developed a timetable yet to put them in vehicles, said spokeswoman Angele Shaw.

''We have done some studies and we're looking at where we're going to use them,'' she said.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The Traverse is supposed to have them so I would guess that the 09 Enclaves will as well, at least as an option.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Glad to hear! An Acadia (cousin-car to Enclave) almost changed lanes into me, a while back! I posted my pix of blind-spot mirrors I adhered to both sides back in Sept '07. $3.50 at any auto store! I depend on them. My GMC Yukon needed them also.

Highly recommend!!! See pix if interested.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Glad to hear! An Acadia (cousin-car to Enclave) almost changed lanes into me, a while back! I posted my pix of blind-spot mirrors I adhered to both sides back in Sept '07. $3.50 at any auto store! I depend on them. My GMC Yukon needed them also.

Highly recommend!!! See pix if interested.
According to the D.C. local news radio station Ford's solution is about the same as the stick on mirrors you mention. It may look better, but probably doesn't function any better. I guess we can all head to Discount Auto Parts for the upgrade to our mirrors.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
sometimes low-tech is best :thumb:

Don't leave home w/o them............honest! Absolutely necessary IMHO :thumb:

Plus I no longer need outside mirrors to tilt down (never liked that, de-programmed) when backing up! Convex stick-on mirrors show curb and parking lines easily!

·
Registered
1 Posts
DETROIT (AP) — For most drivers there's a lingering doubt when changing lanes on the freeway: Did I miss a car in the blind spot?

Starting early next year, Ford Motor Co. will try to eliminate that doubt. It will begin installing side-view mirrors on its vehicles that show the blind spots in the outside upper corners.

The Dearborn-based automaker and several industry analysts say they know of no other automaker that currently offers such a feature, although some are considering it and auto parts stores sell small mirrors that focus on blind spots.

"Those blind spots, changing lanes, we're always having some challenges seeing who's there," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's global director of electrical and electronic systems.

Ford says it will put the mirrors on a few Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models to start, eventually making them standard across most of its lineup. It also will offer an optional radar-based blind spot warning system similar to those marketed by other automakers, but with the ability to scan parking lot aisles and warn of oncoming vehicles as a driver backs out of a space.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Lisa-Adam WELCOME!! Good article. Yes, it is a major concern. When I ever loan my Enclave to a friend (seldom!) I say ........." don't change lanes until you look in the spot mirrors I put on!".
It's that critical. I posted some pix a while back to my album, if you want to see where I put them.

Glad the auto industry is finally doing something! I especially like Ford's idea of the parking lot warning system, while backing up.

Do you drive an Enclave? Not a prerequisite to join here!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I especially like Ford's idea of the parking lot warning system, while backing up.
Agreed. But the rear camera - if you have it - has a very wide angle field of view, and works a treat in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I posted some pix a while back to my album, if you want to see where I put them.
It seems to me that a better position would be at the top inside of the mirror rather than the bottom outside. Methinks it would be less in the way of my field of view in that position.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rockyp said:
It seems to me that a better position would be at the top inside of the mirror rather than the bottom outside. Methinks it would be less in the way of my field of view in that position.
I tried a few positions. This seemed best to my needs, but that's what makes horse races, isn't it? ;) Just get something on there before you "meld" with a new Smart Car! I think they may fit in the rear of the Enclave....seats folded down of course ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I tried a few positions. This seemed best to my needs, but that's what makes horse races, isn't it? ;)
Exactly!

Smokin SRX said:
Just get something on there before you "meld" with a new Smart Car!
Yup. I almost "got" a Mini a couple of weeks ago merging onto the freeway. :eek:

·
Registered
612 Posts
In regards as to where to put a little "blind spot mirror" on your side mirrors goes, I think I can settle this argument.

Here is an image of the Enhanced Visibility Side Mirrors on the Chevy Traverse. The GM engineers have determined the optimal position is upper right. (outboard top).
This conclusion comes from a Youtube video (50 seconds in). Check it out.

I am posting the image from the vdeo here (along with an image of the rear-view rear camera mirror feature.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse/ First Impressions (Cars.com at 2008 Chicago Auto Show)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8K4O6ilvx_Q

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I personally like the outboard bottom position. This allows you to use the mirrors for backing into parking spaces; you can see the ground at the rear wheels better from this positioning of the mirror. I learned this in trial-and-error on the Avalanche. If you think the Enclave has blind spots, you should try driving an Avalanche.

·
Registered
225 Posts
BadAV said:
I personally like the outboard bottom position. This allows you to use the mirrors for backing into parking spaces; you can see the ground at the rear wheels better from this positioning of the mirror.
True, but the Enclave's tilt-down mirrors and back-up camera (if you have them) can handle parking issues. That frees me to address the blind-spots (both sides have them, IMHO) at driving speed, which are a concern.

Another visibility matter: has anyone else noticed that it is possible for objects to hide behind one of the wide FRONT pillars?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
PrairieWind said:
True, but the Enclave's tilt-down mirrors and back-up camera (if you have them) can handle parking issues. That frees me to address the blind-spots (both sides have them, IMHO) at driving speed, which are a concern.

Another visibility matter: has anyone else noticed that it is possible for objects to hide behind one of the wide FRONT pillars?
I do have both the tilt-down mirrors and the backup camera on my Enclave; I was speaking more generically rather than specifically about the Enclave. I've run into the issue of the wide a-pillar moldings a couple of different times - the Avalanche also has wide pillars. If a car is approaching at the right speed, it's easy to miss seeing it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Of course the Traverse solution is irrelevant for Enclave owners, since we don't currently HAVE much of an upper outboard corner on our mirrors! Another sacrifice of function for the sake of form.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
PrairieWind said:

You said that right!! I almost greased a guy standing on a curb in a parking lot, right in the way of the wide "A" column support post! I only saw him as he started to walk and I jammed on the brakes. Most CUV/SUV's have this problem. Close call...

For this reason, some of you know, I oppose the dark window louvers/vent shades that you put on the outer top door frames. The non-transparent "smoked' ones ADD another gap to your visibility! BEWARE!

Also, pls teach everyone in your family the number 1 pedestrian rule: never, ever step in front of a vehicle, unless the driver looks at you first! Never assume he saw you, or knows you're there. Especially egregious with the "right on red" laws....... many a person knocked down as a driver turns right, while still looking left, at on-coming traffic flow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
... many a person knocked down as a driver turns right, while still looking left, at on-coming traffic flow...
... while the cyclist/jogger/pedestrian looks straight ahead while boldly & blindly entering the intersection. Usually it is the driver who is legally responsible, but it is always the pedestrian who is physically injured.

And NEITHER the driver's NOR the pedestrian's attention is enhanced by cellphone use.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
PrairieWind said:
... while the cyclist/jogger/pedestrian looks straight ahead while boldly & blindly entering the intersection. Usually it is the driver who is legally responsible, but it is always the pedestrian who is physically injured.

And NEITHER the driver's NOR the pedestrian's attention is enhanced by cellphone use.
Don't get me started on cell phones..........Some teenage girl almost "pinstriped" me with her door handles, as she lane drifted, while chatting, at 65 MPH! Good thing the E has strong horns! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts