EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying to hear what our friend, desgnconcpts, has decided????[/color] :dancing:

·
Registered
154 Posts
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost posted this morning!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he went for it, we may not hear from him till late tonight or tomorrow! :sosad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
4kids and lisa -- I'm BACCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

The new baby is in the garage -- wiped her down after we got home and I backed into the garage. I'm sorry I won't have pictures until this weekend (as soon as the weather turns decent here!), but I want to show you all how beautiful she is. I guess you'd like to hear the story of yesterday, leading up to today's purchase (yes, I decided to put my own skin into this one) and return home. After perusing our wonderful forum yesterday, I got the idea that I should really make a list of things to bring with -- various documents and things -- as well as a list of "to-do's" (like making sure our 177 minutes of OnStar calling gets transferred, canceling our month-to-month OnStar on the Olds, stuff like that) -- as well as making sure I had the FINAL #'s from the dealer so I would not be surprised today when we went to sign paperwork.

I am so glad I did this -- and I'll try to share my list with everyone so you can maybe add to it things that you might need to have or do or change. It made a good part of the whole deal that much less stressful. But honestly, if you asked my wife, I was STRESSED, ANXIOUS, DEPRESSED, WORRIED -- well, just about everything that you can think of. Most of all, I was concerned what I would think of the Blue Gold Crystal (because I really had my heart set on Platinum, which is what we ordered). At least the interior was the same, Ebony.

We left about 6:30am and actually made very good time -- routed ourselves around some construction and made it to the dealer in about 3.5 hours. The funny story there was that we had a detour in MI that took us off the highway, through back roads (literally) that were mud, for about 4 miles! I about flipped out -- we drove through some of the most depressing looking areas that I've even seen in rural America (burned out trailer homes, trash, abandoned cars and trucks sitting on people's property -- it was unreal). Of course, driving to pick up a near $44K vehicle really got me thinking and made me depressed that there are so many in America with so little, and here we are going to pick up a new Enclave that none of these folks would ever afford or dream of in a million years.

Anyway -- it was about 190 miles from home. Pulled into the dealer (nice little town too, Allegan, MI) and there she was, sitting there all clean and pretty and shiny. It's really hard to explain this color and even when I take some snaps and post them for you, I'm sure you won't be able to really tell -- this is truly a chameleon color, sometimes looking a dark platinum, then looking a very light blue/silver and then in certain light, it has this really cool gold color in the background. Weird -- but very nice. About the color, my teen daughters were both very happy with "their" choice. They didn't want another silver car or white car -- this was a color they thought was cool and when they saw it for the 1st time, they were really happy.

So -- though I spent a while with the finance guy yesterday to get the #'s from him, there were a few surprises -- one yesterday, one today. Yesterday's surprise was that in spite of them agreeing to my trade (I sent digital pics so they could quote me a solid price -- I thought it was a fair price), they would not lease using the GMAC "buy rate" which is just under 8% (.00333 is the money factor). They were marking it up to 9% -- which really ticked me off -- and I had some harsh words with the finance guy, who proceeded to cry to me about selling their 1st Enclave (they are a very small dealer, this has been on order for months) @ Supplier when they could have gotten far more. Cry me a river was my basic reply -- I didn't hold anyone at gunpoint to do this. From what I know, the surrounding area has had some real financial hardships, so I think when this Gen'l Manager agreed to the Supplier, he figured a bird in the hand of a sure sale and my top credit rating caused him to do the deal. So, I was upset at not being able to lease at what I thought were still high rates -- pushed me over the edge and I decided last night to purchase. Along with my trade, I wrote a decent check to bring my 36 mo GMAC 5.9% payment to about what the lease would have been. In my mind, I figured it would make me feel better to know after 3 yrs, it's mine, it's still under warranty and I can sell it and hopefully have a nice value to it because of so many paying MSRP or MSRP+ now.

This is a really long message -- let me continue it in another reply -- sorry and thanks for your patience with me ;D.

·
Registered
317 Posts
OK, so here's the rest of the story. Because they're in MI and I'm in IL -- there is nothing easy tax-wise. They charged me 6.25% (base IL rate, though my rate is 7%, plus ANOTHER .75% County use tax for a total of 7.75%). They charged me an unannounced $10 temporary tag fee because they had to go the local MI Sec of State office for a temp tag to put in the window. Now I have to take that form, copies of my agreement showing that I actually paid the 6.25% tax to the IL Sec of State's office -- fill out more forms there -- they won't transfer my plates without me having paid the right tax, so that gets filled out, check written and turned in, along with the Sec of State stuff for the plates. Basically, it's a PITA, but again, I have my Enclave!

Another snafu -- late last night, I don't know why -- I thought about my front plate and the front plate bracket. Here in IL, you have to display FRONT and rear plates, while in MI, only the rear. Guess what -- THEY never thought of that! When I asked, I got the "o crap" response -- and then the gen mgr made a call to GM Parts distribution in WI and is having the front Enclave plate bracket overnighted to my house tomorrow at no charge. Because of all of this horsing around (having to go to transfer plates, etc), the gen mgr also agreed to order a complete set of all-weather heavy rubber mats, which he will ship to my house once they come in to his store -- at no charge (says they're worth about $300). All in all, he was a pretty good guy to work with and if anyone wants to know his name/dealer name, PM me -- I don't think he's able to get a lot of Enclaves but he would be worth looking up in the future for someone else. He was great, too, in going over all the features of this baby, that was nice to have a pretty good idea of how stuff works, particularly the NAV -- I really waffled about spending the money for this. Anyone that's undecided, please ask me about it, it is ABSOLUTELY A MUST HAVE! There's an ability to do a bird's eye view of your car traveling, along with 2 other types of map views.

As for the ride home, while I didn't stay at 55 the whole way, I did vary my speed, from 55 to 70 (when able). Our is FWD so I'm not too worried about gear mesh issues or engine issues with it. Another plus for us -- this Enclave was built 8/8/2007 -- which means it has the new transmission flash. I had driven a few Acadias and 1 Enclave with the old shift programming. This new programming is really great. For a car as big and heavy as this, it honestly compared quite favorably responsiveness-wise on the road to my 2007 Audi A4 -- it was really great. As we got into IL, the weather turned like a junkyard dog. Tornado was spotted just W of where we were and for about 30 min, we drove in such heavy rain that I was worried about someone running into me. As for the Enclave -- I have to say I did not miss the AWD of our Olds at all. This FWD felt as solid as a billet of steel -- we went through some pretty deep water and this vehicle never wavered, slipped or anything like that. I felt TOTALLY safe and secure and was more worried about everyone else around us.

Let me do a part 3 with my list of stuff, then I can post some more tomorrow to respond to any of your questions and more of my observations too.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Congrats! I'm glad it worked out after all. :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
YEAH for YOU!! :blob:

I love a happy ending :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here's what I put together on my list before going to the dealer:

verify ALL numbers with finance guy before driving to the dealer (verify selling price, any doc fee, taxes, registration fees, total)
if buying w/Supplier, bring along your Supplier authorization form/number -- this was as smooth as butter today for us!
ask at the dealership if they will cancel your old OnStar (or transfer any remaining) from an old OnStar equipped vehicle
check for minutes on your OnStar calling before leaving (or arriving) at dealer -- ask them to transfer those minutes to your new Enclave
if you are driving out of town like us to pick up, make sure you remind them to have OnStar issue you a LOCAL calling number for your phone!
if you have a loan on existing vehicle and are doing a trade (ours was w/GMAC), call them to find out your payoff amount
if you have an upcoming electronic payment coming up -- call to try and stop it (ours was due tomorrow, 8/24 -- I called GMAC and they said they could cancel it, saving wait for a check)

if you have an IPASS or EZPASS, take the phone number and account number with you -- once you have made your deal, call them to change your vehicle info so you're legal
make sure you get FRONT AND BACK plates from your old car (they almost left our front plate on because in MI, they only have them on rear)

I razor-bladed with masking tape our County Vehicle Sticker on the windshield -- I never leave this up to the dealer, usually when they take them off, they are destroyed (put strips of masking tape over the sticker, use a sharp razor blade and go slow -- I got ours off intact so I can transfer it (have to turn the old one in, otherwise they charge you full price!)

As for vehicle checklist, here's some of the stuff I had on my list to check:
radio operation
a/c operation
take a test drive before signing anything -- check for obvious rattles, noises, look the darn thing over
test seat heaters
test rear hatch operation
test power folding mirrors
test power tilt/telescope wheel
test power windows
test power seat operation
check seat flip n fold operation
test back up camera operation
check operation of sunroof & sliding screens

make sure you have:
cargo net
cargo shade
dvd for nav system
correct remotes w/remote start feature
2 headphones for entertainment system
full tank of gas!!!!!
front license plate bracket (if you, like me, are in a state that requires and you purchase from a state that doesn't -- ask up front so they can order and install before you get there)
trailer hitch cover and pigtail (they don't install the pigtail, make sure it's in the rear storage compartment

Of course, some of these may not apply to some of your Enclaves because of what was ordered. Ours was loaded w/exception of engine block heater.

Maybe ADMIN should sticky this list for everyone's use so we can add to it -- I think this would help everyone.
Yes, it takes a bit of time to go through this all -- but it's time well spent, especially if you are HOURS away like me from the dealer you bought it from.

Talk to you all soon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been following your notes for the past several weeks. I am thrilled for you and think you'll do just fine with the color. After all, is there any color on this car this is NOT pretty? Not really and just getting to drive it makes it all feel good. Again I'm glad you purchased this one rather then waiting. I hope many others with orders take your advise and internet shops.

Galen

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats desgnconcpts!!! Your persistence has truly paid off! :thumb: I would love to hear how you tell the "bad dealer", that lowered your priority codes, that you have your new Enclave. But...if you are going to goto them for service/maintenance, then be an :angel:...and if you did put a deposit down on that order you definitely deserve that back!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
VERY happy for you desgn! :cheers: Glad you made it home SAFELY and it is nice to know that this dealer was HONEST and helpful. Finance guys are always whiners, so that didn't surprise me. But I had prayed that you would have a pleasant experience and it sounds like this dealer really went over and beyond the call of duty. Free all weather mats? What a guy! You deserved this treatment after the dishonesty of your other dealer. I remember when we drove our special order 1999 Montana home from a dealership over 4 hours away it rained like cats and dogs too, so I can sympathize. I am sure you cringed the whole way, but at least you got a VERY thorough waterproofing and leak test :thumb: I assume she passed with flying colors! Anyway, so happy for you and wish you well in your new ride......looking forward to the pics!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hard to believe you are the guy that got me so worked up with your original posts. Congratulations and thanks for the information-enjoy!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sounds like an exciting day all around.

I hope it wasn't just a dream and when you wake up the Blue will still be in the garage. :thumb:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
congratulations! :clap:
I can't wait to see my blue-gold in my driveway next month! (I hope!)
Can't wait to see your pics!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks everyone! :cheers: I so much appreciate everyone's warm wishes. :sunny:

I haven't told the dealer yet -- I still can't get the comments out of my head from Tuesday morning this week when I was told my order was downgraded further in priority and that if the UAW did strike, it would be sometime next yr before our Enclave arrived. Kind of like hearing "the Joker" making fun of you for being such an idiot. The good news for me is that they never required a down payment, but I also want to be careful choosing my words because I'd really like them to simply change the order and let me Dad use my slot with the Supplier Friends # I can now give him, now that we already have ours. Because he only wants a base CXL w/no options (or maybe just Driver's Conf), his order might/should go through and get pulled right away -- nothing on constraint. We'll see because I just KNOW they are going to be jerks about the whole thing to us, when it was THEIR fault they couldn't be honest with me. Their service dept is good, so I don't want to burn bridges or have them give us a hard time for service (even though they supposedly can't do that, I'll bet it does happen to people).

Yes, the new 'Clave was water-tight -- I looked for spots where others said their Acadias leaked and I think we're good. It rained (or should I say monsooned?) again last night -- there is flooding all over the place in the Chicago area (the Edens expressway, for those familiar was shut down last night because it was flooded). Sounds like the earliest I'll get any nice-weather pics is Sunday, but I will post a bunch as soon as I can.

I'd like to be able to encourage others to do what we did -- don't wait -- go find YOUR Enclave, cause it's likely out there somewhere and you'll find a dealer willing to sell to you at a reasonable price. I honestly thought this would not happen, but I surprised even myself.

I'd also like for us to set up another child board? that would allow us to gather and discuss areas of improvement. I still HATE the 2nd row captain's chairs, that has not changed -- and because of the limited range of motion on the power tilt/telescope wheel -- at 6'3", I literally cannot see the gages, in particular, the speedometer -- so this screams for some sort of mechanical retrofit on current cars because there would be no way to retrofit the HUD ;). Once HUD is available, it should be standard on all Enclaves and it would eliminate craning your neck to see how fast you are driving. There are some things I really love, too, that Buick and their team of engineers really got right. The 19" special Michelins are AWESOME -- incredibly quiet, smooth and fantastic in the rain. Likewise, I think the NAV is pretty good too -- there's a bird's-eye/road level view that works great. Obviously, the various design flaws did not keep me from buying, but I truly would like to help Buick in making this THE BEST vehicle that it can be and it doesn't mean they have to add $10K worth of stuff to do it either.

They most certainly got it right with the exterior -- I've owned a number of great, sexy cars over the years, the most recent a Corvette that I sold. The Enclave is clearly a VERY SEXY VEHICLE -- the bold shoulder lines and arches over the wheel are just incredible viewed at any angle, but when I look out the side view mirrors, it reminds me each time what a terrific looker this vehicle really is!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad with all that rain you couldn't tell if others were straining their neck to look at you?! Or could you??

·
Registered
317 Posts
4kids said:
Too bad with all that rain you couldn't tell if others were straining their neck to look at you?! Or could you??
;D -- it was really hard to tell -- I was far too worried about keeping my secret force shield intact around our Enclave ;D had to make sure that nobody invaded that bubble! At one point, it was so bad that cars were pulling off under the underpass of the tollway. That seemed like a good idea, until we rolled past (doing about 20 mph) and saw water gushing down from the street above -- I suspect those that waited could have been in for a little flood surprise as it looked like a **** broke above us and water was getting higher underneath the underpass.

I did notice a few earlier (while still driving under sunny skies in MI and part of IN) that took a good long look. Since I've only seen 1 around here and my wife has only seen 1, we're both thinking that anytime any of us drive the Enclave, we'll surely get noticed by a lot of people (we live in an area with TONS of Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Infiniti and Lexus vehicles). My daughters, in looking at the muscular haunches of the Enclave in the garage last night noted -- "It kind of looks like a Porsche Cayenne, but WAY cooler!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats!! I know you'll enjoy it as much as the rest of us!! :clap:

It poured on us almost the whole 4 hour drive home after we bought our Enclave too!

Maybe it's like good luck on your wedding day when it rains...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts