EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my ride to the dealer for her second oil change & tire rotation no big deal. Two days later I notice when I start her she blows Blue Smoke. I went back and the service manager says it is the fuel I am using, I have been using the same grade from day 1, does this sound correct? Help. ???

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
no, doesn't even sound remotely correct.

Blue Smoke: Blue smoke is caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. As with the white smoke, just a small drop of oil leaking into the cylinder can produce blue smoke out the tailpipe. Blue smoke is more likely in older or higher mileage vehicles than newer cars with fewer miles.

How did the engine oil get inside the cylinder in the first place? The car has many seals, gaskets, and O-rings that are designed to keep the engine oil from entering the cylinder, and one of them has failed. If too much oil leaks into the cylinder and fouls the spark plug, it will cause a misfire (engine miss) in that cylinder, and the spark plug will have to be replaced or cleaned of the oil.
quoted from this site....

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: The dealer overfilled the oil when they changed it and that was causing the smoke.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
that could be bad in the long run, keep an eye on it!!! glad it was that simple but wow what a complete lack of competence!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the mess up an oil change, do you really want them working on your vehicle??

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had brownish smoke coming from my exhaust ina 300ZX Twin Turbo.

I was quite concerned -- I took it in to my mechanic and he chastised me for babying
the car.

His remedie for removing the carbon deposits that had built up on my cylinder heads
was that I was not allowed to go past 3rd gear for a week.

It was a spirited week of driving -- no more brown smoke!

I drove a little more aggressively after that!

ymmv

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
txhokie4life said:
I had brownish smoke coming from my exhaust ina 300ZX Twin Turbo.
I've always loved those cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What is scary about blue smoke on a car with low mileage is that the catalytic converter should have prevented the blue smoke. Your catalytic converter might be toast.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The reason you saw smoke initially (given the excess of oil in the engine) is that the converter doesn't really start to function properly until it heats up which takes a short period of time after the engine is started. Once the converter is at operational temperature, it will burn up minor amounts of oil in the exhaust stream, eliminating the blue smoke.

A cat can easily burn off small amounts of oil passing through without compromising efficiency or significantly impacting life expectancy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts