EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the OnStar advisor today to find out if an OnStar Subscription is required to have BlueTooth..........she didn't know but turned me over to customer service......who also didn't know. She put me on hold while she "researched it.....she came back and said YES, you must retain the OnStar subscription to use BlueTooth....

Not believing it, I had our Son with a new Acadia call OnStar who told him NO, it is a separate system......he then called his GMC customer service rep to find our their response..........they also said NO...

Does anyone on this site know for sure??

Thks,

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
What would OnStar have to do with Bluetooth?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No, you do not need OnStar for Bluetooth to work. Yes, they can use the same controls, and GM did a lot of work to make that happen. You do not need OnStar for Bluetooth.

OnStar is like having another cell phone using Verizon's network. Bluetooth is a data transfer protocol that has limitations on range and speed, but is wireless. With bluetooth, your calls just use your current cell phone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Palque,

You mentioned bluetooth use the Verizon network. I believe the network used for the calls is whatever network used by the cell phone that is paired with it. Bluetooth is simply a limited wifi network that connects your cell phone to Enclave's system. Enclave's Bluetooth can use any compatible Bluetooth capable cell phone with a Hands Free Profile to make and receive phone calls.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
duce said:
Palque,

You mentioned bluetooth use the Verizon network.
Um, no he didn't.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Plague said:
OnStar is like having another cell phone using Verizon's network.
This was my basis for my reply.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
duce said:
This was my basis for my reply.
Ok, but OnStar and Bluetooth are entirely separate things.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes they are different, never said they were.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
duce said:
Yes they are different, never said they were.
Fair enough. I must not be understanding something then. :cheers:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think what gets confusing is the use of the word Bluetooth.
Bluetooth is a limited range low baud rate networking technology use primarily for connecting peripheral devices to a computer. While the Enclaves Bluetooth is GMs standard built voice recognition cell phone technology with Bluetooth added so you can connect your cell phone wirelessly to it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
zman said:
Um, no he didn't.
Thanks for the backup zman. :thumb:

Duce,
I never did say bluetooth uses the verizon network. If you have a verizon phone it would. I said bluetooth uses your current cell phone (and therefore, you current cell phones network) and Onstar is like having another cell phone on the verizon network.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Plague said:
Thanks for the backup zman. :thumb:

Duce,
I never did say bluetooth uses the verizon network. If you have a verizon phone it would. I said bluetooth uses your current cell phone (and therefore, you current cell phones network) and Onstar is like having another cell phone on the verizon network.
I think we all understand what is going on and are actually saying the same thing, we just don't realize it.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Plague said:
Onstar is like having another cell phone on the verizon network.
As long as we are playing semantics games here, we probably should say "Onstar is another cell phone on the verizon network", not "Onstar is like having another cell phone on the verizon network".

I know, picky, picky... :banghead:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I can get even more picky. Onstar is not a verizon service at all. You buy separate minutes from onstar and use them regardless of any other cell phone affiliation. Now if you want your Enclave to serve as a separate phone line and not buy minutes from onstar, the agreement is through Verizon. For 9.99 a month you add your Enclave to your Verizon family plan and share minutes like any other phone you would add.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The OnStar phone has it's own number so I don't know why it cannot accept a message if no one answers, and beep to notify you when ignition is turned on. Our '00 Mercedes had a transportable built in phone and if you missed a call the phone would beep the next time you started the car and you could call your voicemail. I thought the OnStar phone used a satellite for phone calls. In the NC mountains my wife cannot use her AT&T phone, but the OnStar works great. BTW after her Cadillac SRX OnStar was a deal breaker for it's replacement, hence the Enclave.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Doesn't matter if its semantics or points of fact at least the conversation is moving forward. :beer:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
duce said:
Doesn't matter if its semantics or points of fact at least the conversation is moving forward. :beer:
All dependent upon which direction you're facing... Whoops! Guess that belongs in a gps string... ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
new buick man said:
In the NC mountains my wife cannot use her AT&T phone, but the OnStar works great.
Probably because of the external antenna. Secondary reason is that VzW may have better coverage then ATT in that area.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Tim said:
Probably because of the external antenna. Secondary reason is that VzW may have better coverage then ATT in that area.
A few years back on a trip to San Francisco with the wife's CTS during the Christmas holidays we experienced the same phenomena. There were many stretches where calls were not at all possible with hand-held cell, but Onstar was always a go. I think perhaps the external antenna was the biggest factor as we were roaming over most of a 2500 mile (one-way) trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
duce
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing