EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

BOSE 10 speaker stereo.

25K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  netmag 
#1 ·
When I test drove an Enclave, I didn't have time to play with the stereo. Has anyone put it through some real tests? How loud is it? Does it do a good job on DVD playback? How adjustable is it? EQ setting? Sub settings?

#52 ·
Straight from the Enclave Brochure..."The interior of the Enclave is a great place to watch a movie. Buick's QuietTuning provides a hushed environment. And the available DVD Entertainment System is really something to experience. It starts with a large eight-inch LCD screen that delivers crisp details and stunning color. Rear audio controls and two wireless infrared headphones are included. This premium entertainment system is combined with the advanced Bose ten-speaker audio system with Dolby digital 5.1 surround capabilities. Custom-engineered specifically for the unique acoustics of the Enclave cabin, it surrounds the listeners with six separate channels: left, center, right, left surround, right surround, and one channel dedicated to deep bass-the .1 channel."

Based on this, I think there is a difference between the base system and the one that comes with the DVD entertainment system. The base system does not have a speaker dedicated to deliver deep bass.

#53 ·
You have to have a Disc that is encoded with 5.1 sound. DVD might be and DVD Audio discs deliver in 5.1. Regular CD's are not encoded for 5.1 sound. Not saying they would not sound better but if everything (speakers and amp are the same) in the 10 speaker system I would assume the CD would sound the same in the 1-4# packages.

#54 ·
gshields said:
I recently ordered my Enclave with the Option 2 because it and Option 4 had Bose with 5.1 surround sound. Option 1 & 4 did not advertise 5.1 surround sound, and I assume that makes a lot of difference. All four offered Bose 10 speakers advanced systems. I had wanted the DVD in the headrest, but then would have had to take Option 1 and not have the 5.1 Surround Sound. So I opted for the factory installed 8" screen in Option 2. Can anybody advise the difference between Bose 10 speaker & Bose 10 speaker with the 5.1 in sound quality? I am not an expert, but I've read all I can about it and there is very little out there and my dealer really isn't much help, although willing. I now join all the others (patiently) awaiting arrival of our new Enclave.
This may be redundant but it is how I understand the set-up.......The 5.1 capability is only useful for DVD movies. Regular stereo music CD's are not encoded with the 5.1 info, therefore, no DVD, no 5.1 ability. I would be willing to guess that the actual speakers are probably very similar if not the same, with the possible exception of the sub-woofer, which is used in 5.1 encoded movies. It is very hard however to get real information on these systems from the dealers, GM, etc.

#55 ·
XRAYMAN said:
This may be redundant but it is how I understand the set-up.......The 5.1 capability is only useful for DVD movies. Regular stereo music CD's are not encoded with the 5.1 info, therefore, no DVD, no 5.1 ability. I would be willing to guess that the actual speakers are probably very similar if not the same, with the possible exception of the sub-woofer, which is used in 5.1 encoded movies. It is very hard however to get real information on these systems from the dealers, GM, etc.
and DVD Audio disks which are 5.1

#56 ·
I called Buick marketing at 800-422-8425 and got a very nice lady. She was very honest when I asked her this question. She stated she didn't know after putting me on hold for about 5 min. They should call me back within 48 hours and let me know. I'll post the answer when I get it.

#57 ·
I tend to agree with jcflorida. No indication that any Enclave has different speakers, just different head units with or without Dolby 5.1 decoding capability depending on whether you got the DVD or not.

Still staying on topic but detouring from the chat about differences in the four packages....my perception for what it is worth is that the system is very nice but still not as good as installing your own speakers. I am by no means a stereo snob who only reads high fidelity magazine, but my own ears are not blown away by this system relative to some other stock systems i have experienced like the levinson system in an ls430 for example. But I think it is a decent system and certainly my wife could care less, it sounds great to her!

What I did in my Expedition (which I think one other poster mentioned doing) is just swap out the speakers but keep the same factory head unit to keep all OEM functionality and keep the same OEM appearance. I know a purist would swap out for a higher power head unit with separate amps but since I am not entering competitions and not trying to go deaf my belief is that trading out the speakers is enough to achieve higher quality without blowing a ton of money or getting out of control with mods to the vehicle. I swapped out my four speakers in my Expedition for higher quality jbl speakers (certainly not the "top of the line") that were far superior to the OEM speakers, and I would argue my Expedition sounds better than this Enclave even though my Expy does not have dash mounted tweeters like the Enclave (a big plus for the Enclave - far better stereo separation and less muffling due to your leg being down by the left door speaker).

When I eventually get my Acadia (still waiting a little bit to see if a Denali is coming) I will likely at least consider doing the same thing after doing some more research and chatting with folks on forums like this to see if they have done it and seen a difference. It can be a few hundred dollars well spent in my view if you are a sound lover. But who knows, maybe the speaker upgrade would be less of an actual upgrade for the Enclave.....

Of course some of you may absolutely love the Bose system as is....it is by no means a bad system and certainly (even though I have not taken the covers off to look) it has to be better than my original Ford "premium audio system" speakers were...

#58 ·
smokeyy said:
Straight from the Enclave Brochure..."The interior of the Enclave is a great place to watch a movie. Buick's QuietTuning provides a hushed environment. And the available DVD Entertainment System is really something to experience. It starts with a large eight-inch LCD screen that delivers crisp details and stunning color. Rear audio controls and two wireless infrared headphones are included. This premium entertainment system is combined with the advanced Bose ten-speaker audio system with Dolby digital 5.1 surround capabilities. Custom-engineered specifically for the unique acoustics of the Enclave cabin, it surrounds the listeners with six separate channels: left, center, right, left surround, right surround, and one channel dedicated to deep bass-the .1 channel."

Based on this, I think there is a difference between the base system and the one that comes with the DVD entertainment system. The base system does not have a speaker dedicated to deliver deep bass.

The base system only comes with 6 speakers (no subwoofer). It appears though that any of the 4 Entertainment packages comes with the same audio system. However, if you get Entertainment packages #2 or #4 (which include the DVD player) then you also get a 5.1 audio decoder built into the Head Unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.