EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Does anyone else have this problem with their new Enclave?

• AWD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cxl

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Enclave, just purchase 2 weeks ago and now 450 miles on it. I have experienced from day one a brake problem that is very annoying. When I apply the brakes I get a noise, slight vibration, feedback in my steering wheel. I have 3 other SUV's now and had other new vehicles in my life time that never did this. I am very disappointed to take a new vehicle for service after just a few miles. Please, anyone out there let me know if you have experienced such a thing. Keep your hands on top of the steering wheel with no radio on and tap on your brakes as you normally would and see if you feel it in your steering wheel.
Thank

·
Registered
159 Posts
Something wrong there Tony, should never do that. Could be anything from a loose wheel to loose calipers to loose pads. Maybe something else in the front suspension entirely. Get it checked soonest[/color]!!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, obviously something is wrong as ours brakes silky smooth. Definitely front if you feel it in the steering wheel. Could be warped rotors or could be bad bedding in of the brakes. Before you take it in let me suggest something to try.

First off, when new, there is no friction material on the rotor itself. Part of the "bedding-in" procedure is to transfer the proper amount of friction material to the rotor in a smooth fashion. This normally involves a series of driving 35-40mph and gently applying the brakes but not stopping. Get back up to speed and let the rotors cool for 1 minute and repeat do it again. Repeat 20 or so times and you are good to go for hard braking. If you brake too hard before the pads are bedded, you can deposit uneven amounts of friction material on the rotor and the pads. This results in the same symptom you describe. Most people do not bed their brakes properly. The worst thing you can do with new brakes is have a hard brake to a complete stop. When this happens, the hot pad is sitting against the hot rotor and it transfers so much material you can actually see the outline of the pad on the rotor. You will feel this during braking just like a bump in the road to the suspension. You can burn off that excess material by doing a high speed braking maneuver. Basically get on an open stretch of highway with no traffic. Get up to 80 or 90 mph (100 is better but don't know how comfortable you are with this) and apply the brakes HARD until you reach 10mph and let off the pedal. When I say hard, you should be held back by the seatbelt because you are leaning so far forward. This will get the pads and rotors hot enough to burn off the extra friction material. From that point, drive at speed for a few minutes without using the brakes to allow them to cool. Now you are ready to start the "bedding-in" process. If this is your problem, the brakes and steering wheel should be smooth from this point forward. If it is not your problem, it will still be there and it is likely a defective rotor or stuck caliper.

Sorry for the essay but this is a common mistake for the average buyer of a new car. They tell you to drive easy during break-in but nobody mentions anything specific about the brakes. The bedding-in procedure is more for race cars but the same principles apply to a lesser extent in regular autos.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. If not, a trip to the dealer but clearly there is something wrong in your case. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts