EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 Buick Enclave. Yesterday the brake warning light on the instrument panel came on while driving (along with the warning bell--very annoying since we had a 90 minute drive ahead of us). This had happened once before and, by restarting the car, we were able to get the light to go out. We pulled over, turned off the car and restarted, but the brake light stayed on. Fully engaging the parking brake then releasing it got the light off for a minute, but then it came back on. Also, the cruise control wouldn't engage while the light was on. The brake fluid level was fine and OnStar ran diagnostics on the car and there were no problems. Today, of course, when we took it to the dealer, the light stayed off and they couldn't find anything (though they assume it is something with the electrical system).

Has anyone else had this issue? If yes, how was it resolved.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry, never had such myself but I remember reading (here/owners manual?) that the emerg brake inhibits the Cruise from working! I think your detective skills may pay off. Faulty switch like that would NOT show up in Onstar or dealers computer, if it thinks it is just you forgetting the brake ON. Is it that lite or the ABS lite?? Verify as there are more probs known here with the Check Eng or ABS lite staying on........
Good luck and pls let us know!

PS........ :welcome: Fill in some "profile data" and "search" around for a wealth of info :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue twice now. First time was after a hard brake incident (and rain/wet road), second time was driving down the freeway (again in the rain). Brake fluid level is fine. Both times the warning light and buzzer stopped after shuting off the engine. I'm taking it to the dealer this week although I don't thin they can do much unless there is a technical note on this problem.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check you fuse box and make sure your fuses and relays are fully inserted into the BEC (Bus Electrical Center). We pull fuses to simulate brake failure conditions during brake testing. This always leads to the IP lights and warning buzzes coming on. They typically go away once the fuses are replaced and fully inserted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 08 and this has happened to me twice in the last week. Each time it was after or during a rain. Brake lights come on, bells go off and cruise control shuts down. I had to drive 60 miles to Nashvile to a dealer with the bell clanging away. Thought I was going to go crazy! Dealer took a air hose and blew some moisture off contacts for the emergeny brake and that did it till it rained again. The second dealer in Cincinnati, put some grease and tape on it. It hasn's rained since then, so I don't know if that worked. I'm taking it in to the dealer again tomorrow. It seems that it is a moom roof/roof railing drainage problem. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a problem with the brake light coming on and a chiming alarm. The only way to make the alarm clear is to either turn the engine off or press the emergency brake a little then release it. I am also having problems with the sun roof drain rail overflowing. As I saw in another post, I think water is the issue. This didn't happen with the brakes until water ran down both of the A posts. I saw in another post that others had this problem during rainy travel.

Is anyone having this problem with enclaves? The sun roof rain rail issue has been ongoing for a long time now. But, the brake warning light issue is new.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yep, electrical problems due to water leaks....no big surprise.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Yep, electrical problems due to water leaks....no big surprise.
Agree unfortunately if you have a water leak and it has been persistent then there is a greater chance of getting into the electrical components.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
JTH said:
I am having a problem with the brake light coming on and a chiming alarm. The only way to make the alarm clear is to either turn the engine off or press the emergency brake a little then release it. I am also having problems with the sun roof drain rail overflowing. As I saw in another post, I think water is the issue. This didn't happen with the brakes until water ran down both of the A posts. I saw in another post that others had this problem during rainy travel.

Is anyone having this problem with enclaves? The sun roof rain rail issue has been ongoing for a long time now. But, the brake warning light issue is new.
Sunroof drain is no joke. I know someone with a 4th gen Maxima whose y-adapter broke--it connected the pass side sunroof drain to the drain from the electric antenna. When that happened, water filled up the rear wheel well and collected there. Eventually, the paint blistered on the outside which led to the discovery of the issue, and then a 1/4 panel that would last forever rusted from the inside out.

imho I would address any water issues sooner than later. Hopefully it's the result of an accident, and not just a factory defect, because I consider it serious....

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is result of a sensor getting wet. If you wait a day and let the car dry out then it will go away. I've had this happen to me twice now. Once while driving through a major thunderstorm and another when I let the car sit outside in a major rain. It is very annoying cause you can't disable it.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Given the scarcity of reports of this issue on this forum, this is obviously a very rare issue. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
davehfa said:
This is result of a sensor getting wet. If you wait a day and let the car dry out then it will go away. I've had this happen to me twice now. Once while driving through a major thunderstorm and another when I let the car sit outside in a major rain. It is very annoying cause you can't disable it.
Perhaps there is a frayed wire on one of the wheel sensors or a bad connection. The wires go into the hub and are used during traction control. My son's Buick Rendezvous had a bad wire or connection which when it got wet, would set off the Brake Light and the Traction Control Light. Once the hub and integral bearing were replaced, the problem stopped.

The Enclave has four of the sensors, one at each wheel. If you can get the code read when the light is on you can see if it is in fact one of the wheel sensors. Auto Zone and other auto parts stores will read the code for free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had this same thing happen to me yesterday while driving down the highway (first time since owning it). It was snowing, but the snow was a slushy, icy mix so there was plenty of "water" that could have made it's way into the vehicle/drain tubes. Happened on the way to our destination and applying and releasing the parking brake solved it (after which I was parked anyways, so I turned off the car). On the way home, same thing- once I got on the highway and cruised for a while it started happening. After I got off the highway and was waiting at a light, I cycled the parking brake and the brake warning light went out for the rest of the (short) trip home.

@ls973800: If it were a wheel sensor, it's likely that you would see the ABS and Traction Control lights come on (since those systems cannot function when a wheel sensor is bad/erratic) and the "dinging" would be slower and eventually stop after 5 or so "dings". In my case (and it sounds like the others here as well) the brake warning light was the only light that came on and the dinging was rapid and unending. Generally, the brake warning light only comes on for issues such as the parking brake is engaged (and it only dings if the vehicle is in drive) or I believe it also comes on if the fluid level in the master cylinder gets too low.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Couple of things to try, first is the fluid level in the master cylinder OK, next apply the E brake and release it as it might have been pushed on just a little and maybe making the light come on.

Also usually when a warning comes on, if you press the check mark in the centre consul the alarm may be acknowledged and may not ring in again unless it clears first and then comes back in.

Hope this helps,
Rick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wanted to post an update- roads have been pretty dry here since the issue happened last, but we got some rain/snow today and wouldn't you know it- the brake warning light came on! Once again, playing with the e-brake helped silence it (though only temporarily) so it looks like there is a correlation between moisture and the issue. I plan to look over the service manual to see if I can determine what parts of the system might causing it and where they are located.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 08 enclave had sunroof drains plugged which caused leaks inside vehicle. I repaired this and parking brake now comes on sporadically even when dry. Not sure where to look now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts