EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have about 200 miles on my car now, and I am a little concerned about the driving below 50mph during the first 500 miles rule. I have heard so many conflicting things on this.. even the dealer said we can go over 50 (I had to to drive home, 1 hr drive on the interstate from the dealership to home). I was advised just to not keep a constant, steady speed, not to break hard, downshift, fast starts, etc.. But I'm still worried. We want to travel to the Tri-Cities, about 1.5 hr drive from Spokane, again on the interstate, for a hockey game Saturday night, then drive back home all in one day. He says the car will be fine as long as we dont use cruise control, etc. But I don't know...

What do you guys think? How did you do your break-in?

On another topic, the light for my analog clock went out for a short period of time yesterday, then when we went out last night it was on again. Has anyone else had this problem? I couldn't find any on/off button for it, so I think it's a short or something, cuz it's part of the dash lighting, isn't it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Page 2-26 of the owners manual:
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• If you have all-wheel drive, keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a Trailer on page 4-29 for the trailer
towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.
As you can see, the 55 mph rule is for All Wheel Drive Enclaves only.

If you are taking a long trip during the break-in period, traditional advice was to stop every half hour or so to let the vehicle cool down/rest. The whole point of break-in is to allow the metal parts to work with each other when they expand/contract, and I guess that goes for plastic and rubber parts too.

The brake disks need to be gently broken in so they don't get hot unevenly, otherwise they might warp.

One thing I wouldn't do is change the oil until the specified interval, since factory fill oil is very specific to break-in and often necessary for proper ring/piston surface seal etc.

TM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts