EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son drove his 2009 CXL Buick enclave about 5.5 miles home with a broken serpentine belt.
Came in a and said Dud it was real hard turning the steering wheel when I drive home.
when I went out and looked at his car I noticed what appeared to be radiator or power steering fluid on the ground could not tell which. when I looked under the car I noticed the serpentine belt was broken.

I checked the radiator level and power steering fluid level both seemed fine. I also checked the oil to see if there was any water in the oil and did not see any.

Do you think he cracked the block or did more damage?
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Im gonna say water pump. Without being able to see more...

And belt... is that the factory original?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im gonna say water pump. Without being able to see more...

And belt... is that the factory original?
The belt could be factory original, don’t know if the previous owner changed it.
My son said he heard a pop when he went to leave, but thought it was fireworks or something, So I am guessing he drove the 5.5miles with no belt.
He also said when he pulled up and turned off the it sounded like the fan was running hard, he opened the hood and could see the radiator reservoir fluid boiling rapidly. By the time I got to the carI could not tell how hot the temp got.
I tried to look for where the fluid was leaking from but couldn’t find the source. It was orangeish

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
This may help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may help.

Sadly there was no splatet, looks like it just blew on the spot. No previous dripping signs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just saw this posting. This engine has a single serpentine belt driven by the crankshaft pulley, which drives the A/C compressor, the power steering pump, and the water pump. If it broke, I'm sure the steering would have been much more difficult. Also, with the water pump stopped, there was no circulation of coolant in the system. 5.5 miles driving is plenty to cause the coolant surrounding the engine cylinder walls to start boiling, even at the higher boiling point of water mixed with antifreeze and the system pressure. I'm sure the boiling got so intense, and the vapor caused a heck if a spike in pressure in the cooling system, it filled the coolant overflow reservoir and blew coolant out of there. In fact, with it being so hot, the vapor probably never condensed before reaching the coolant overflow reservoir, so that vapor being pushed into that reservoir likely made it appear as if the reservoir was boiling (it was not though).

As for your engine, I suspect there is damage likely somewhere caused by driving it with no coolant flow. But the fact that the engine was still running when your son got home and only stopped when he turned it off is encouraging. I would recommend getting a replacement serpentine belt and installing it, refill the cooling system (if the radiator was full, I'm sure the overflow reservoir is empty or near empty) to the proper levels, then start the engine and see what happens. Often times the heat warps the heads and causing headgasket sealing failures. Maybe you got lucky and nothing major happened.

Attached is a picture of the Enclave's engine, in case you are not familiar with the proper routing of the serpentine belt (may be needed when a new belt is installed by you).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts