EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chart below shows an aggregate score reflecting a brand’s total perception level across the seven areas. Scores are rounded to the nearest percent. Keep in mind that these scores don’t reflect the qualities of the brand’s vehicles, only the strength of the overall brand in the eyes of car buyers. The top five brands in each area are ranked on the Top five in brand perception by category page.



Overall Brand Perception BEST WORST
Brand Score Brand Score
Toyota 189 Buick 25
Honda 146 Mercury 22
Ford 112 Mitsubishi 21
Chevrolet 110 Audi 14
GMC 102 Acura 8

Complete article: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435679
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Wow. With this survey, Consumer Union has truly fallen off the end of the earth (which I believe they think is flat).

Here is how they figured their "scores":

HOW THE SCORES WERE CALCULATED

To learn about consumers’ car brand perceptions, the Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey from Dec. 6-10, 2007, contacting 2,037 adults. The survey data was collected from the 1,720 adults whose households own at least one car.

Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided mentions. This approach compensates for awareness level, ensuring every brand has an equal chance of leading a category, not just the best-selling or most well-known brands.

Category scores reflect the number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar of the particular attribute, again adjusted for awareness.
What a bunch of BS!

I can't begin to say how many areas that this "study" are flawed.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
it isn't based on quality so therefore what does it really matter? It all goes back to the perception that Buick is for an "older" crowd. If they redo this in a year I would like to think those numbers would be better.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PAPoPo said:
it isn't based on quality so therefore what does it really matter? It all goes back to the perception that Buick is for an "older" crowd. If they redo this in a year I would like to think those numbers would be better.......
Exactly right...This is a perception study based on marketing and past performance, but as they say perception is the better part of reality. What it proves (if anything TM) is that Buick's marketing may not have been up to par so far. Speaking of par, I think the Woods ads are very well done and are a good step in the right direction. Put products out there like the Enclave and the two new concept vehicles, I bet they move up in polls like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
This "study" doesn't prove anything. We don't know if the target audience is even what Buick, Audi, or Acura are marketed to. For all we know, the "upscale" buyer would not even answer phone solicitations (we don't) and the brand recognition could be much different.

There are no comparative studies looked at, say, JD Power (where Buick does well in most categories) or in satisfaction.

As far as brand recognition, the subjectivity of how they measure verbiage and how survey responders behave is incredibly biased due to the many variables, which I can't begin to guess how they could possibly control for. Ford score high? They must be kidding!

But sure, Toyota and Honda are recognized brands among people who answer land line phone solicitations, maybe more than Acura or Audi. That is all they can possibly conclude IMO. The lack of "common" recognition may actually be an advantage to an upscale buyer looking for quality without the cache.

TM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Interesting points, TM. People really need to read between the lines on any report or "study," as you suggested. Most consumers who value their dollar will be less likely to be influenced by poorly constructed reports than those will specific data and controlled conditions. For me, reading, reading, reading, seeing, etc. offer personal answers. In my visit to a car show (Twin Cities), simply opening and and closing doors of the vehicles offered some sense of construction and quality. We have driven Japanese cars for years but for many researched reasons, we are convinced the Buick offers the best value for the dollar. I know this has all been said before. We need to take these "impressions" with a grain of salt. JMO.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I think Buick blew it by renaming their full size model Lucerne and mid size model LaCrosse. I would wager not a lot of people could identify these as Buicks just from the name. If they had stuck with Park Avenue (or even Electra or LeSabre) for the full size vehicle and Century or Regal for the midsize, there'd be increased recognition.
By the way I'm taking a test drive in an Enclave this afternoon. I'm not quite in the market yet. I'll be trading my '04 Rendezvous on an Enclave in 2010 or 2011. But they're giving a gas gift card for taking a test drive, so what the hey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I really don't care what the surveys say, we've had our Enclave since last July and love everything about it! ;D All of our friends who have ridden in it or seen it are impressed & will consider one when they need a new car. I think its kind of like movie reviews, restaurant reviews. etc. Everyone has an opinion of what they like or dislike, I could care less. Now, when you get to maint issues & such thats a different story.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
firebird said:
I really don't care what the surveys say, we've had our Enclave since last July and love everything about it! ;D All of our friends who have ridden in it or seen it are impressed & will consider one when they need a new car. I think its kind of like movie reviews, restaurant reviews. etc. Everyone has an opinion of what they like or dislike, I could care less. Now, when you get to maint issues & such thats a different story.
Agreed. A survey on perception seems like a big waste of time. I'm just glad our government didn't fund it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
axiama said:
Agreed. A survey on perception seems like a big waste of time. I'm just glad our government didn't fund it.
Maybe they did fund it...I do disagree that a perception survey is a waste. From a marketing standpoint, I would be concerned if I were Buick. You want your branding to be recognized as high quality or you can't get people in your doors, or if you do, you are working against a stigma of poor quality and need to prove to them they are wrong. If you are Honda, people assume from the get go they are buying quality and therefore Honda is ahead of the game. This perception not only comes from marketing, but the product as well. Produce enough good product (the Enclave for eg.) and the marketing becomes more affective as well, a synergistic effect takes place. Try marketing a bad product and see how far it you get despite the quality of you ads. The opposite is true as well, you can have a great product but if your marketing is poor such that no one knows about it, your sales will suffer accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Acura, Audi "poor quality"?? Not a chance. Not even a perception.

They weren't even measuring perception of quality. They were measuring name usage - sort of "household word-liness" if I can coin a term.

TM
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
bsox said:
Maybe they did fund it...I do disagree that a perception survey is a waste. From a marketing standpoint, I would be concerned if I were Buick.
I see what you’re saying – but this survey was done by Consumer Reports. I may agree with you if it were an auto manufacturer that conducted this survey. But as a reader of Consumer Reports how does this survey help me decide which car to buy?

bsox said:
This perception not only comes from marketing, but the product as well. Produce enough good product (the Enclave for eg.) and the marketing becomes more affective as well, a synergistic effect takes place. Try marketing a bad product and see how far it you get despite the quality of you ads. The opposite is true as well, you can have a great product but if your marketing is poor such that no one knows about it, your sales will suffer accordingly.
I think you nailed it when you mentioned product development. Marketing is important to some degree but marketing isn’t going to change brand perception to the same degree that product development will. I can’t think of a single ad or commercial I’ve seen for Honda or Toyota but I still think they make quality vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very well made points, I think there is info in this survey, but just what and how to get it out is certainly debatable. But we both agree, the product eventually drives the perception. Just how long does it take to catch up. Another example, how long will it take for Buick to lose the perception of being an old person car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
bsox said:
Another example, how long will it take for Buick to lose the perception of being an old person car?
As long as it takes for us old farts to quit buying them. ;D :happy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
A recent survey of consumers who actually have, and use, a brain put Consumer Reports in the bottom 1% of knowledgeable publications.
I remember a cartoon years ago showing a row of new cars being driven off a cliff.
One observer was saying to another "I see Consumer Reports is testing cars again".
"Nuff said! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
newtobuick said:
A recent survey of consumers who actually have, and use, a brain put Consumer Reports in the bottom 1% of knowledgeable publications.
I remember a cartoon years ago showing a row of new cars being driven off a cliff.
One observer was saying to another "I see Consumer Reports is testing cars again".
"Nuff said! ;D
A recent survey of statisticians found that 98% of all statistics are just made up..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Tralfaz said:
A recent survey of statisticians found that 98% of all statistics are just made up..........
Statistics are like a woman of easy virtue, once you get them down you can do anything you want with them! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Ar Yes opinoins are like behinds everyones got one, but most of them are cracked! How'd the test drive go Sammy? :thumb:
firebird said:
I really don't care what the surveys say, we've had our Enclave since last July and love everything about it! ;D All of our friends who have ridden in it or seen it are impressed & will consider one when they need a new car. I think its kind of like movie reviews, restaurant reviews. etc. Everyone has an opinion of what they like or dislike, I could care less. Now, when you get to maint issues & such thats a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
The test drive went great, BoSoxFans. But jeez Louise, the model we test drove stickered out at $52K!! Every option plus $5k of dealer options (20 inch wheels, etc). Enclave will definitely be my next vehicle, but it will be a base CXL with very few options.
The dealer said he had just traded in an Enclave with 27k miles on it and could let me have it cheap. I passed.
I should have around $2k in earnings on my "classic" GM Card in 2011 so that's my target date. But if GM comes out with a $5000 factory rebate like they did in 2004 when I bought my Rendezvous, I might just jump in and buy my Enclave.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top