EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a 2020 Buick Enclave that we bought brand new. We have done all the oil changes at the dealership where we bought the car from. I never checked the motor oil since this was a brand new car. The first sign of oil loss was when we saw the low oil sign on the dash. This was about 8 months into our purchase and the car had around 10,000 miles. I immediately added oil and took it to dealer. They claimed that oil loss is normal for these vehicles and I should expect to add about a quart of oil every 2,500 miles or so. I am not a mechanic, but this sounded like bunch of BS. I tried to argue my point and didn't get anywhere. Hoping that this is not an ongoing issue and perhaps they didn't top off the oil last time, I didn't argue any further. But since then I have been checking the oil and the car definitely loses oil. I just had to add about 1.5 quarts and the mileage of the car is 24,000. I am planning to take the car back to the dealer and demand a permanent fix or some type of compensation since I don't plan to keep this car long term if it's going to continue having this problem. Upon googling this topic, it seems that there maybe design problems with certain type of GM motors related to the piston rings. I am not a car expert but it's obvious this is not a 'normal' situation as Buick has made it out to be. Does anyone else have the same problem? If so, what have you been able to do about it? Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My 13 does use some oil between changes but never enough for the light to come on. I have not noticed any oil loss in my 2020. It has about 25K on it now. I do believe your dealer is correct thought, that these engine do consume oil.

On your next oil change tell them you think it is using too much. They should mark your dipstick and you would need to take it back at what ever mileage interval they tell you to verify how much it is using. Some oil loss can be expected. I do believe that this is one of the reasons GM lowered the change interval on the OLM. Low oil level is bad on the timing chain.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi. We have a 2020 Buick Enclave that we bought brand new. We have done all the oil changes at the dealership where we bought the car from. I never checked the motor oil since this was a brand new car. The first sign of oil loss was when we saw the low oil sign on the dash. This was about 8 months into our purchase and the car had around 10,000 miles. I immediately added oil and took it to dealer. They claimed that oil loss is normal for these vehicles and I should expect to add about a quart of oil every 2,500 miles or so. I am not a mechanic, but this sounded like bunch of BS. I tried to argue my point and didn't get anywhere. Hoping that this is not an ongoing issue and perhaps they didn't top off the oil last time, I didn't argue any further. But since then I have been checking the oil and the car definitely loses oil. I just had to add about 1.5 quarts and the mileage of the car is 24,000. I am planning to take the car back to the dealer and demand a permanent fix or some type of compensation since I don't plan to keep this car long term if it's going to continue having this problem. Upon googling this topic, it seems that there maybe design problems with certain type of GM motors related to the piston rings. I am not a car expert but it's obvious this is not a 'normal' situation as Buick has made it out to be. Does anyone else have the same problem? If so, what have you been able to do about it? Thanks.
You dont mention having oil changes and if your driving daily you should as in any vehicle check oil at every gas fill. 10000 miles without an oil change and 2 years also without an oil/filter change is making your engine have a short life. Follow at OLM and change when it comes on and at the least have oil changed once a year with low yearly driving.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
930 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you read the owners manual on the subject? What does it say? and What viscosity does a 2020 use?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you read the owners manual on the subject? What does it say? and What viscosity does a 2020 use?
0W-30 or 5W-30 , 6QTS Same as my 2013

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
930 Posts
Which oil are you loosing the 0 or the 5W? I know the 0W20 on my daughters RDX comes out like water if its hot when I change it. What about the manual on the subject, does GM address it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have always used this Mobil 1 5W-30. I do follow the OLM using it. It does seem that a lot of manufactures are going to 0w or 5w-20 weight oil on newer vehicles. But my 2020 still calls for the 30 weight oil. I either use AC-Delco filters or K&N filters. I do like the ease of being able to use a wrench with the K&N filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
2500 miles per quart is fine. My truck has done that since new, and it now has over 230,000 miles. Oil use has never changed on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have owned 3 Enclaves 2014,2016 and a 2020 I have never had to add oil between changes
Dealer does all the changes around around 4,000 miles
Trust me their is something wrong

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had three of these enclaves all purchased brand new starting with a 2011 (owned for 11 years) and still have my 2012. Almost 1 quart down at about 5-6k when the oil change is due has been totally normal. Never enough where I had to add but some consumption. Now I keep an eye on all of them. I topped off our 2022 with about a 1/2 a quart at 3500-4k miles.

I know it sounds strange but it may just be the way it is. On slightly older cars we never had to do this. I believe with newer cars they are doing every little thing possible to eek out even 1 more mpg. So different piston ring materials and thinner oil are likely levers that help them do that. They’ll do anything to make the numbers I suspect. If a customer has to top off that’s how it goes. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to keep a spare quart in the garage cabinet but that’s how things are today. Better that than letting oil levels get too low and then have timing issues (leaned that lesson the hard way on my 2011 earlier this year). I try to keep a quart (or portion of) on hand to use in both enclaves if needed.

Honestly I think you are fine but understand this takes getting used to. I have read similar stories on other current makes of cars as well. I would start from full and observe exactly how many miles to 1 quart down and go from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my 3rd Enclave, 2020 with 20K miles. I have always checked oil about 3/4 fill-ups in all my cars. Have never had to add oil. Get it changed about every 5000 or when it gets to 30% life. 2014 had 100K miles, the 2017 74K. Retired now, so not driving as much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts