EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have read the FAQ and it’s helpful.

Looking for a new car; preferably 7 seats w captains chairs in the middle. Our favs were probably Enclave and VW Atlas but Atlas only fits 2 in 3rd row. We do want a “luxury” feel and smooth ride with lots of tech built in so it seems like Enclave is our best choice. We also can get the GM family discount because of my retired grandpa.

I think we will be willing to probably get a 2018 Avenir and hoping since it’s the highest trim that there will be some leftover. I think our options are to try and find one late Dec or wait til Presidents Day. Are the end of year rebates usually SO good and won’t be equivalent deal in Feb?

Does the GM family discount price change from Dec to Feb ?

Only looking at Feb because we have a newborn so we were hoping to see what our pocketbooks feel like after paying bookoo bucks for daycare for a couple months... but we could still swing it in Dec if it’s worth the savings.

Also bonus question if anyone is also Carolinas and has a tip on which state is better to purchase from when you live on a border. We live in NC but SC is minutes away.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello! I have read the FAQ and it’s helpful.

Looking for a new car; preferably 7 seats w captains chairs in the middle. Our favs were probably Enclave and VW Atlas but Atlas only fits 2 in 3rd row. We do want a “luxury” feel and smooth ride with lots of tech built in so it seems like Enclave is our best choice. We also can get the GM family discount because of my retired grandpa.

I think we will be willing to probably get a 2018 Avenir and hoping since it’s the highest trim that there will be some leftover. I think our options are to try and find one late Dec or wait til Presidents Day. Are the end of year rebates usually SO good and won’t be equivalent deal in Feb?

Does the GM family discount price change from Dec to Feb ?

Only looking at Feb because we have a newborn so we were hoping to see what our pocketbooks feel like after paying bookoo bucks for daycare for a couple months... but we could still swing it in Dec if it’s worth the savings.

Also bonus question if anyone is also Carolinas and has a tip on which state is better to purchase from when you live on a border. We live in NC but SC is minutes away.

Thank you!
I'm giving you my absolute honest opinion.

Do not for the life of you purchase a Buick. I've owned a 2009 and currently a 2014 and both have been absolute nightmares and wallet drain. I purchased both the 2009 and 2014 Buick Enclaves from the dealership and strictly dealership maintained. The 2009 was a complete lemon (timing chain and other major issues) and traded it in for a new 2014. Problem after problem continued. AC condenser, rack and pinion, steering pump, water pump, both CV axles, overheating rear climate control nobs, transmission clank and the list goes on. Luckily, some we're fixed while under warranty but a few major ones were not. Some people get lucky with no problems but it's not just a coincidence. Do some research and my problems are also the same problems a lot of people deal with and GM continues to hide.

That being said, could they of fixed these KNOWN issues in the newer model? Highly doubt it. Their quality control is just bad. I'm sorry but I've lost all trust in Buick.

If you plan on only keepin it 2-3 years then take the gamble at your own risk. If you plan on keeping it indefinately- run run run.

I don't mean to scare you but I randomly saw your question and giving you my personal experience and nothing more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I've read on here it seems like most of the Enclave problems have been on the older models, and most of those have higher mileage. I have put only 7000 miles on mine so far, so I can't attest to the longevity of the new changeover model Enclaves, but so far I like it a lot. I have found that the lowest model year prices occur in November to January, but if you are looking to get a 2018 model at the end of this year you may be disappointed. When I bought mine the dealers I visited had very few Enclaves and maybe one Avenir on their lots. I think GM cut production on these vehicles for some reason. You may be able to get a 2019 model at a fair discount but finding a leftover 2018 may be a problem, or you may have to settle on whatever your dealer can find. I bought mine in June and the dealer had to pick it up from another dealer 200 miles away. If you are not looking specifically for an Avenir you may have better luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you are looking at new ones, not sure if you will still find very many 2018's left especially in Dec. I also believe the Avenir's are selling very well despite their MSRP (around $60K)

We had a 2008 Enclave that we kept for almost 9yrs and 80K miles. Was it perfect? NO, but it was a great vehicle and nothing could touch it as far as size, comfort, and gas mileage at that price. We didn't have wave plate or transmission issues but we did have the struts replaced at least once. I will say it is best to get a extended warranty. The first repair using our GMPP extended warranty would have cost us as much as the price of the extend warranty. When looking for a vehicle to replace the E we switched to an 2017 Acadia Denali only because we felt the 2017 Enclave was too much like our 08 (no push button start, and other tech options not available yet). We miss the quietness and size of the E vs the Acadia. I have been keeping an eye out for an good deal on a pre owned Avenir in case we want to come back...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I used to work for GM, I wasn't eligible for the GM discount since I left with a severance in 2006, last year they re-enabled the discount for us. I never recommended nor did I say not to purchase a GM product. I have since owned 6 GM vehicles since 1986 when I started my 20 year career with them. I owned a 2008 Saturn outlook, yes I had a few problems with it, transmission 3-5-R waveplate, power steering pump and rack, struts, water pump stabilitrack and reduced engine power. I had 212,000 miles on here when I sold it and the new owner is happy with her. My replacement was a 2015 Enclave, that's how much I do enjoy this platform. Several of my GM vehicles had over 150,000 miles on them when we parted company.
I do have the CPO warranty so it does give some comfort and I do know the vehicle, and with this forum we can fix just about anything on it.
I would say that you can get a lemon vehicle just about with any manufacturer. A friend at work has an Atlas, He loves it, it was a replacement for a Honda Pilot, he does like the Atlas better. I have never been in an Atlas, but one reliability report I saw said it had some issues. I do love my 2015 Enclave. Good luck with whichever vehicle you choose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm with Silent above. If my Enclave was a joy to own I would post that too. But they are nothing but money-pits after the warranty is up.
A lot of pro-Enclave members here will tell you otherwise as they roll their Enclave through their personal shop every month. But if your not or do not have a mechanic friend with a crystal ball that knows when key parts are going to expire stay away from any Enclave purchase with no warranty.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do your research is all I can say. I do like my 2009 Enclave, but I have to admit it has been a money pit with major issues I just never had with the other vehicles I've owned. They're nice vehicles when they work, but when they break (and you don't have an extended warranty), your wallet will definitely be lighter for sure. And trust me, I've been maintaining my vehicles using the best parts I can. I changed my transmission fluid every 20,000 miles and I still had the delay in drive issue which caused burnt clutches necessitating a rebuild at around 72,000 miles. Steering rack failed, both evaporators, etc. GM can build a great car, but WON'T. They will use the cheapest parts to maximize profits, customer be damned. GM did cover a lot under warranty though so I was very thankful. But no one compensated me for the many trips to the dealer.

I still have my Enclave but worry what will happen next. 2 months ago the engine just shut off while I was driving with my wife and 3 year old son in the car. We were near a shopping center so by the grace of God we were able to roll right in. The ECM just fried (internal short). It could have been far worse if my wife was driving with my son on the freeway. This thought scared the heck out of me.

So when buying a new vehicle for my wife, we landed up getting a Toyota Highlander. A bit smaller than the Enclave, but it seems to be a high quality vehicle. I gave up the almost $3300 in GM card points too. We planned to buy an Acadia but with all the problems we had with the Enclave I didn't like the odds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do your research is all I can say. I do like my 2009 Enclave, but I have to admit it has been a money pit with major issues I just never had with the other vehicles I've owned. They're nice vehicles when they work, but when they break (and you don't have an extended warranty), your wallet will definitely be lighter for sure. And trust me, I've been maintaining my vehicles using the best parts I can. I changed my transmission fluid every 20,000 miles and I still had the delay in drive issue which caused burnt clutches necessitating a rebuild at around 72,000 miles. Steering rack failed, both evaporators, etc. GM can build a great car, but WON'T. They will use the cheapest parts to maximize profits, customer be damned. GM did cover a lot under warranty though so I was very thankful. But no one compensated me for the many trips to the dealeruc browser shareit appvn

I still have my Enclave but worry what will happen next. 2 months ago the engine just shut off while I was driving with my wife and 3 year old son in the car. We were near a shopping center so by the grace of God we were able to roll right in. The ECM just fried (internal short). It could have been far worse if my wife was driving with my son on the freeway. This thought scared the heck out of me.

So when buying a new vehicle for my wife, we landed up getting a Toyota Highlander. A bit smaller than the Enclave, but it seems to be a high quality vehicle. I gave up the almost $3300 in GM card points too. We planned to buy an Acadia but with all the problems we had with the Enclave I didn't like the odds.

my issue has been solved!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
mark77
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing