EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I just thought I would get the some opinions of a few owners if I could. I will be leasing a new vehicle for my wife in the next six months or so. Currently she drives a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder which we have been mostly pleased with but would like some additional room, better fuel economy, softer ride and quieter operation.

I am not really loyal to any particular brand but definitely have a place in my heart for Mazda. I am on my second Mazda, currently driving a Mazdaspeed6. Mazda has been pretty good to me, so I was considering the CX-9 as a strong possibility. However, it would seem that the Enclave is at least the CX-9's equal in most respects. Styling is subjective I know but I think both vehicles are very attractive. CX-9 definitely has a sportier interior and exterior but the Buick has a more upscale look inside and out. Enclave is a little bit larger, and a little less thirsty at the pump. I have gone to the manufacturer's websites and configured each of them. With both models having almost identical equipment levels the price is very close, within a few hundred dollars. Pretty tough choice really, I love my Mazdas but would also love this Buick and it make my neighbors happy since I live in a suburb of Detroit and my neighborhood is populated with a number of automotive engineers who have made a few casual comments about my current vehicle selections.

In any event, what sort of problems have you experienced, what sort of mileage are you getting and overall how has your experience been with the Enclave thus far.

Enclave

CX-9

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forums! I also like the exterior look of the C9 but I needed to have daily access and use of the third row so the Buick won out. I am enjoying the exterior visual appeal and the interior comforts of the Enclave. My gas mileage is not good. There are some poster like myself who are only averaging 11-13 mpg. I get 19-20 highway and I have a FWD. That has been my biggest disappointment since gas prices went over $3/gallon after I bought it. I and a few other posters have issues with the Enclave rolling forward 5-7" once the car has been placed in park and the foot removed from the brake. I am also having issues with the rear lift gate intermittently refusing to close. I just hit one thousand miles this week. I would advise taking both out for the longest test drive possible on different days and see what your gut says. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Main diffs I know about are heated wiper fluid in winter, 3rd row split- folds, NOISE level lower,ride softer w/ 2% sacrifice to handling, more memory stuff with users #1 & #2 (I think Mazda doesn't adjust mirrors or radio!)ADVANTAGE Enclave

Mazda has Bluetooth.....but no ONSTAR! (we love the crash-notification feature!)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I also have had several Mazdas, 2 626s and currently have an RX8 which is sweet. I also have an Enclave. I think you should just spend some time on this forum and look around. There are lots of posts on milelage, I for one have one called first road trip (bsox). I get what I think is pretty good mpg for this large of vehicle, at 55 mph on the highway I got 26.5 with less than 500 miles on the car. At 65 plus pure highway I get 24.5. Around town, short 5 mile trips I get 16.5-18. I don't think the Mazda will come close to the quietness of the Enclave or the ride. I also bet the Enclave will feel much more solid to you on the road. I love Mazdas, but between the 2, I bet you choose the Buick believe it or not.

PS one of the best cars I ever owned was a 1986 Mazda 626 turbo, faster then heck, oscillating vents, head light washers etc. There were features on that 1986 car that I miss now, I loved the oscillating vents and the headlight washers especially this time of year. I don't know why they seem to have gone to the wayside. It also had three different suspensions that you can select with a button, sport, normal, and touring which all gave a different ride. that car was ahead of its time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you need a functional 3rd row for 3 passengers that has a split fold, then the Lambda's (Enclave, Acadia, Outlook) are it. But if you only have one kiddo and don't carpool, then maybe that is not a big factor to you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi!
Some differences (some minor):

Mazda: Enclave
Optional compass STD
Has an overhead console None
Garage door opener optional STD
No trip computer?
No map lights in rear
Black steering wheel vs mahogany
3rd row is 50/50 split vs 60/40
No rear audio controls
Bluetooth
Halogen headlights Xenon headlights
Door curb lights
Keyless access option

The Enclave also has theft deterrent system for the radio, power liftgate option, 2nd row moonroof option, It's wider by 2 inches and longer by 3 inches.

A big one is the warranty difference:
48months/50m miles Enclave versus 36mo/35m miles Mazda

Interior room camparison (Enclave is listed first):
Front legroom 41.3 " 40.9 "
Rear legroom 36.8 " 39.8 "
Third row legroom 33.2 " 32.4 "
Front headroom 40.4 " 39.6 "
Rear headroom 39.6 " 39.0 "
Third row headroom 38.4 " 35.4 "
Front hip room 57.4 " 56.4 "
Rear hip room 57.0 " 56.0 "
Third row hip room 48.3 " 43.7 "
Front shoulder room 62.0 " 59.4 "
Rear shoulder room 61.1 " 58.7 "
Third row shoulder room 57.8 " 56.9 "
luggage volume 18.9 cu.ft. 17.2 cu.ft.
luggage volume (max) 116.2 cu.ft. 100.7 cu.ft.
Passenger volume 154 cu.ft. 139 cu.ft.

And having the neighbors be happy: PRICELESS
(I used to live in Trenton and drove a Honda at the time, so believe me I know this can be an issue!

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
405 Posts
PS: Are Mazda's still being built in Flat Rock? Then that choice shouldn't be too bad with the neighbors!
I heard good things about the Mazda but did not consider it because the closest dealer for service would have been too far. Something to consider!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just looking at the 2 interior pictures you posted reaffirms my choice to order the Enclave. But talking about orders I guess that is another factor to consider, i.e. how long are you willing to wait for what you want? I'm looking at close to 3 months for mine.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We drove both and for us, it was no contest. The Enclave was much quieter inside and, as already stated, the third row was much more user-friendly and flexible. We've only got about 1000 miles on the Enclave and did our first highway trip; we averaged 22.4 mpg and this was with a 10% ethanol blend. The CX-9 is built in Japan so you won't get one quickly; we ordered our Enclave (in White Diamond Tricoat, with the Driver convenience pkg, both of which were on constraint) and got it in 5-1/2 weeks (I think we were LUCKY).

·
Registered
344 Posts
!

Hey gamper welcome to our forum! I was very close to purchasing the CX9 before discovering Enclave. I thought that the CX9 would be more fun to drive, but when I compared pricing, I found the Enclave actually was a little less than the Mazda, and it had more bells & whistles. After driving the Enclave I fell in love. It is so much more luxurious, and it was surprisingly fun to drive. I am short, (5'2"), and find that the sliding center console is really a nice feature, and it is just at the right location to be a comfortable arm rest while driving, which is a rare thing to have in my experience.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my thoughts. I'm sure you'll be very happy with either one. Good luck and let us know what you decide! (like posted above, you will have a long wait if you order, so I would do an EXTENSIVE regional search before resorting to ordering an Enclave). ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
New2Buick said:
Just looking at the 2 interior pictures you posted reaffirms my choice to order the Enclave. But talking about orders I guess that is another factor to consider, i.e. how long are you willing to wait for what you want? I'm looking at close to 3 months for mine.
Actually gamper, don't assume you'll have to order yours and wait several months. Availability will depend on your area. I got mine without having to order and found what I wanted within 2 weeks--- even in a popular color with every option except the engine block heater. I just monitored buick.com daily to check inventory at various dealers in my area until i saw "the one" show up at a dealer 90 minutes away. As with many things, it depends on where you live.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had my list wittled down to the CX-9 and Enclave too.

For me, with two kids, second row captian chairs were a must.

Also, the DV rear seat entertainment system and sunroof were a must, can't get both in the CX-9.

We liked the fit & finish of the Enclave better as well, we would have loved the Bluetooth on CX-9 but make do with a Blue Ant portable and suprisingly, we like the security of the On-star and the phone that is always onboard just in case we forget or have issues with ours.

We have 1500 miles of combined driving and are getting less than stellar mileage, about 17 combined...probably due to 5% ethanol mix in our area.

Both excellent family haulers, it comes down to what you "need" and like!

BTW, we ordered but found what we wanted on the "Enclave" part of Buick.com site before it got to the dealer and were able to buy it while it was inbound..

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oddly enough, Motor Trend gave their vote to the Mazda CX9 and it won the Crossover of the Year. No matter though... you can't beat the stylings of the Enclave.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You said you lived in Michigan right? Even if all other factors are "even", here is your decision maker:

- Enclave: Built in Lansing Delta Township, Michigan :thumb: :thumb:
- CX-9: Built in Hiroshima, Japan :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

Also, we have Loaded CXL AWD and are averaging EXACTLY 16 mpg city and 21-22 mpg highway (75-78 mph) in fairly hilly terrain.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Way to go Ccaats. Very controlled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: ;D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
bsox said:
Way to go Ccaats. Very controlled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: ;D
I am now enrolled in a new 12 step program entitled "Can't We All Just Get Along with our Import Loving Brothers"

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
ccaats said:
I am now enrolled in a new 12 step program entitled "Can't We All Just Get Along with our Import Loving Brothers"
That my friend, is a beautiful thing :thumb:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Doesn't Ford basically own Mazda?

TM

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Tin Man said:
Doesn't Ford basically own Mazda?

TM
They have been together for years, and at least share stuff. The Mazda B2200 pick-up series was a Ford Ranger with Mazda interior and the Escape and Tribute is the same everything with the interiors different, Mazdas tend to be more upscale in my opinion. It has worked visa versa in the past, I just can't think of the Mazda right now that Ford called their own. By the way, what doesn't Ford own now besides GM?

·
Registered
758 Posts
So, uh, buying a Mazda is not so different from buying a Buick Lucerne built in Canada, sort of.

But anyway, I looked at the Mazda and didn't feel it had the third seat room, style, grace, or luxury we were looking for. If we had wanted a sports car type 5 passenger vehicle capable of two extra kids and some luggage that only got so-so fuel economy, maybe the CX-9 would be OK. Sure were a lot of incentives/deals for left-overs at the time, but not as many choices without ordering a 2008.

TM

1 - 20 of 39 Posts