EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buick Super Bowl ad criticized for featuring vehicles not made in U.S.
John Irwin
Automotive News | February 6, 2017 - 2:02 pm EST
Buick's Super Bowl commercial has drawn the ire of the UAW. Cindy Estrada, the director of the UAW's General Motors department, signaled her displeasure with the commercial on Twitter Sunday night.
DETROIT -- Buick’s Super Bowl commercial has drawn the ire of the UAW.

Cindy Estrada, the director of the UAW’s General Motors department, signaled her displeasure with the commercial on Twitter Sunday night. The ad showcased the 2017 Encore crossover, assembled in South Korea, and the Cascada convertible, built in Poland.

“Can’t believe GM would feature foreign made vehicles on all-American Super Bowl,” Estrada tweeted Sunday night.

The 60-second Buick spot, which ran during the first quarter of the game, featured Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and supermodel Miranda Kerr.

A Buick spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment Monday afternoon.

The ad came as President Donald Trump has repeatedly called on U.S. automakers to build more of their vehicles domestically, threatening to slap tariffs on vehicles built outside the U.S.

Like Trump, the UAW has criticized U.S. trade policy over the past several decades, calling free trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement unfair to American workers who have seen high-paying jobs shifted to Mexico and other lower-wage nations.

Automakers have responded to the pressure put on them by announcing new investments and jobs at U.S. plants. Automakers have framed the investments as reflections of the strength of the U.S. economy and confidence in the Trump administration’s economic policies, though many of the investments have been in the works for years.

Duncan Aldred, GM’s U.S. vice president of Buick and GMC, said in an interview with Automotive News last month that he is sensitive to concerns about where vehicles are built and that the company aims to sell domestically made products when practical. With the Chinese-made Envision, for example, he said projected volumes didn’t justify making it at another plant.

“It is a very American brand. The headquarters are here and will remain so, and we’re very proud of that,” Aldred said. “We always try and like to build where we sell.”

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Right so she actually want a 9 year old Enclave to show up on the TV which is due for a replacement and showing up right next to the all new LaCrosse? Make sense much?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JerseyDevil said:
Consumer reports was not kind to the Envision.
Actually, the Automotive print media as a whole hasn't been very kind to Envision.

While they've really not commented much at all about the Chinese assembly....which seemingly would be more inclined to bother the traditional Buick buyer than the Press.....I find they've been fairly critical (in particular) of the interior finishes. But most importantly, they've been rough on Envision's pricing in the higher-level trims.....where it's apparently pricier than the Audi Q5.

Not that this means anything, but I saw an Envision on the road today in suburban Cincinnati......which added to the others I've seen, can easily be counted on one hand. Of course, I've seen very few Pacificas on the road either; and they've been for sale since the summer of 2015.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
wvuguy said:
Actually, the Automotive print media as a whole hasn't been very kind to Envision.

While they've really not commented much at all about the Chinese assembly....which seemingly would be more inclined to bother the traditional Buick buyer than the Press.....I find they've been fairly critical (in particular) of the interior finishes. But most importantly, they've been rough on Envision's pricing in the higher-level trims.....where it's apparently pricier than the Audi Q5.[/color]

Not that this means anything, but I saw an Envision on the road today in suburban Cincinnati......which added to the others I've seen, can easily be counted on one hand. Of course, I've seen very few Pacificas on the road either; and they've been for sale since the summer of 2015.
Except for some concerns of German reliability and maintenance cost, the Buick Envision is no match for the Audi Q5. And, that's even before the introduction of the updated 2018 Q5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts