EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading all the noise issues both in the car, under the car I am beginning to doubt buying one of these things. I read about Buick and their great "quiet tuning" but it sounds like they make and transfer noise issues just as well as all other auto's out there. Also reading the AWD noise and service issues on this site and others I am for sure not getting one of those even my dealer said to avoid the AWD as they have notice a large number of service issues with them. I figure I am going to wait for the 09 as bluetooth is number one for me and my family and if the enclave continues to show its true colors as just another GM vehicle it may not be in our fleet. I like the GM service guys, but with my Camaro and Yukon I have gotten to know them to well over the past 4 years, that and I do not wish to pay for another BMW for him. hmmm GM service folks do not drive GM vehicles, that kinda makes one wonder. Hope all you Enclave owners have a great 2008 and may your vehicles and family’s stay well. This forum is great for all of us gathering info for our next purchase

·
Registered
405 Posts
What service issues has you dealer mentioned with the AWD? Thanks!

PS:
I suspect that if you join a forum for each new car you are considering purchasing, and then relied upon that forum to tell you all the quirk and problems each owner experienced and posted, then used that information to justify not purchasing that vehicle, you would never actually purchase a car at all... ;)

You took a test drive, did you not find the Enclave much quieter than other vehicles? I do.

·
Registered
349 Posts
*Enclave* said:
What service issues has you dealer mentioned with the AWD? Thanks!

PS:
I suspect that if you join a forum for each new car you are considering purchasing, and then relied upon that forum to tell you all the quirk and problems each owner experienced and posted, then used that information to justify not purchasing that vehicle, you would never actually purchase a car at all... ;)

You took a test drive, did you not find the Enclave much quieter than other vehicles? I do.
Agree. Very few people go to forums to post what a wonderful vehicle they have. Most are visiting because they have an issue they want to investigate so you really only hear about problems. I also agree it is the same with most auto boards I visit.

I can honestly say that my wife (primary driver) and I COULD NOT BET HAPPIER with her choice. Vehicle is everything we expected and then some. The Enclave is MUCH more quiet compared to my new Yukon Denali and rides much better too. Was originally a bit concerned about the V6 but it has plenty of power for it's purpose IMO. Not towing trailers with it but hauls people very well. Great job Buick! We're an all-GM family now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
:ditto: :ditto:

The only noise I've noticed is the LACK of it.

I'd be curious what information Jas has about the AWD "service issues" I haven't seen any posts about that. And like Enclave said, if you go to these forums you are going to see posts about problems and quirks and questions but that's what the forum is for. For instance, last week I thought my memory seats broke, so I posted the problem on here. Someone suggested I "reset" the memory, which I hadn't thought of, and problem solved! It was operator error! So many things that appear to be problems with the car can be attributed to their owners. :) The car's just smarter than us.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
No noise issues here either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I noticed a very faint sound like metal tapping together. I looked at my steering column and jiggled my keys. The sound was gone. That's how f'n quiet it is in the cab! Anyone with noise issues is just being EXTREMELY picky!

·
Registered
333 Posts
NOLA Saints said:
I noticed a very faint sound like metal tapping together. I looked at my steering column and jiggled my keys. The sound was gone. That's how f'n quiet it is in the cab! Anyone with noise issues is just being EXTREMELY picky!
I am a car nut, haven't owned a GM since a 1996 Tahoe that I tell everyone was the best, most dependable car I've ever owned...I think all the negative press got to me.

So...Charlie the Enclave develops a rattling noise..me, "Here we go, car is falling apart after 3,000 miles". Turns out I didn't push the sunvisor fully into it's mount when I had moved it for use on my side window. :-\ It drove me nuts for 3 days, I think that speaks to how quiet this vehicle is!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
No problem with my AWD Enclave. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing except I would try to have it delivered faster rather than wait 5 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AWD - FABULOUS and BEAUTIFUL vehicle. Exceedingly quiet, comfortable, & smooooth. No noises of any kind. LOVE it! Buy it!

Recently owned vehicles: Suburban 1500 LT, Saab 9-3 Aero, Infinity G35X.
This weekend my wife, who normally doesn't care about cars, was "forced" to drive the Enclave because our other cars were being used. She has now "claimed" the Enclave as hers.
We took friends out recently in the Enclave who own the big Lexus crossover and a new Mercedes 500 CLS (replaced a BMW 740i). They were very impressed and said they "didn't know GM made such a beautiful, quiet, smooth, well appointed vehicle".
Hats off to GM/Buick for now!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Jas....if I had to guess, I would say you are a Consumer Reports employee or an employee of Toyondanissundai (same thing). The "claims" you make in your email are COMPLETELY bogus and just not true. What is your "true" motivation for posting such a "negative" anti-GM thread? I think the moderators should seriously consider pulling your post. The Buick Enclave IS the quietest vehicle on the road and we have had ZERO problems with our AWD and NO I repeat ZERO noise, clunking, clanking, rattling or "whining" issues....which is more than I can say for you! :confused:

·
Registered
389 Posts
No AWD noise at all from mine. Haven't heard of any from anyone else either.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ccaats.....relax man, you are going to blow an artery. He said he is waiting for the 09's to purchase and presently owns 2 GM vehicles. If the moderators start pulling posts and censoring the board of people's opinions this site will become biased. Just don't answer replies to posts that cant list specific TSB'S or noted work orders for such issues....everyone is going to have an opinion. So far I have had no issues but I get disappointed when I start reading about those that are having them. I just hope Im lucky to not have any SIGNIFICANT issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW! For owners that say they are happy, some of you are very rude and negative to anyone that may bring up issues. Thank you PAPOPO for your comment, as yes I stated I was waiting for the Enclave to have everything my family needs before buying.
I have owned GM products for years, so the comment about me being a GM or even worse a Consumer Reports employee is just RUDE and way off base. I have never owned a Toyota and that make is not even in the running for our next car change out. If you read my thing I state we have a 2002 Camaro which might I tell you has had $4,000 more work needed on it since buying it than our 2000 year model. Also have a 1999 Yukon that has had to have the tran’s rebuilt and engine work for seals and also the driveline replaced. We also own a 2006 Mercedes SLK 350 and has only required standard maintenance. We are looking to replace the Yukon out and so our choices have been between the Cx9, Mercedes GL 450 and the Buick Enclave. We drove the Enclave and yes it seemed very nice.
Now for the issues, I only comment want I have read, that has been written on this site and the Acadia site (which a few owners there have had to replace their vehicles due to major issues leaving them stranded on the freeways.) I know the GMC Arcadia is not a Buick, but lets face it GM is pulling parts for both from the same bins. ;)

As for our local dealer which sells Pontiac, Buick, GMC and Chevy brands these are the most common issues with the AWD they are not really seeing with the FWD only models for the Enclave and Arcadia.
They have had about (I am just quoting the service manager (40% of their AWD sold) , have been brought back in the first 6 months for clanking, service traction lights coming on and rear drive train locking up. Also have had one trans that had to be replaced (the person was towing, and as the service manger states these are really not designed for that.) They have been able to fix them all, most having to do with computer programing issues, solenoids bad in the tran's or seals not installed correctly in various places from the factory. He said the FWD seem to have not really had as many issues and believes less moving parts for failure, which I can believe with any car. He also stated they had to do some cosmetic repairs on two shipments of about 12 units, that looked as though the factory "just through eveything into the cars for them to build once it got to the dealer." He has reported back to their reps at Buick&/GMC all his dealerships issues and stated their factory reps stated the issues may have been due to trying to rush more units through in order to make more units for back stock before they reduced work force for the winter holidays. They will work to improve quality in the coming year as they expect a drop in consumer demand for the 08’s models due to 09 changes just around the corner.

Now before you all flip out on me I just want to say AGAIN we are still planning on getting the Enclave, just waiting for Bluetooth and also will reconsider the AWD based on our local service manager (he is a great guy and has never lied yet to us in 15+ years, and if the 2009 does not come with Bluetooth, we will have to reevaluate then.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jas4slk said:
WOW! For owners that say they are happy, some of you are very rude and negative to anyone that may bring up issues. Thank you PAPOPO for your comment, as yes I stated I was waiting for the Enclave to have everything my family needs before buying.
I have owned GM products for years, so the comment about me being a GM or even worse a Consumer Reports employee is just RUDE and way off base. I have never owned a Toyota and that make is not even in the running for our next car change out. If you read my thing I state we have a 2002 Camaro which might I tell you has had $4,000 more work needed on it since buying it than our 2000 year model. Also have a 1999 Yukon that has had to have the tran’s rebuilt and engine work for seals and also the driveline replaced. We also own a 2006 Mercedes SLK 350 and has only required standard maintenance. We are looking to replace the Yukon out and so our choices have been between the Cx9, Mercedes GL 450 and the Buick Enclave. We drove the Enclave and yes it seemed very nice.
Now for the issues, I only comment want I have read, that has been written on this site and the Acadia site (which a few owners there have had to replace their vehicles due to major issues leaving them stranded on the freeways.) I know the GMC Arcadia is not a Buick, but lets face it GM is pulling parts for both from the same bins. ;)

As for our local dealer which sells Pontiac, Buick, GMC and Chevy brands these are the most common issues with the AWD they are not really seeing with the FWD only models for the Enclave and Arcadia.
They have had about (I am just quoting the service manager (40% of their AWD sold) , have been brought back in the first 6 months for clanking, service traction lights coming on and rear drive train locking up. Also have had one trans that had to be replaced (the person was towing, and as the service manger states these are really not designed for that.) They have been able to fix them all, most having to do with computer programing issues, solenoids bad in the tran's or seals not installed correctly in various places from the factory. He said the FWD seem to have not really had as many issues and believes less moving parts for failure, which I can believe with any car. He also stated they had to do some cosmetic repairs on two shipments of about 12 units, that looked as though the factory "just through eveything into the cars for them to build once it got to the dealer." He has reported back to their reps at Buick&/GMC all his dealerships issues and stated their factory reps stated the issues may have been due to trying to rush more units through in order to make more units for back stock before they reduced work force for the winter holidays. They will work to improve quality in the coming year as they expect a drop in consumer demand for the 08’s models due to 09 changes just around the corner.

Now before you all flip out on me I just want to say AGAIN we are still planning on getting the Enclave, just waiting for Bluetooth and also will reconsider the AWD based on our local service manager (he is a great guy and has never lied yet to us in 15+ years, and if the 2009 does not come with Bluetooth, we will have to reevaluate then.
I think your local service manager is full of something, but not knowledge. It sounds like a service writer to me, knows just enough to be dangerous. Perhaps the plant employee that works in Lansing can dispute the quality claims and that things go out half-built. JD Powers has some opposing views on quality as well.
Also, perhaps your service "manager" friend should alert GM and its engineers that the vehicle that they have rated to tow 4500 pounds shouldn't.

Take opinions for what they are, whether they are ones from this board or your service manager. It may be prudent to deal with facts before making a decision.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
>the comment about me being a GM or even worse a Consumer Reports employee is just RUDE and way off base<

I think that is very funny.

Re: AWD: The Buick, and the others for 2008, have a totally different AWD system that is much improved. That being said, no one outside of your service manager seems to have had any problems with any of them. I seriously would consider a new service manager.

Richard

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just wanted to reinforce how well designed, well built and impressive the Enclave is. We've now had ours for 5 months and 5400 miles with zero problems. Our Enclave is AWD and very quiet. It is going back to the dealer this week for the first time to since delivery for oil change and tire rotation. We've haven't owned a GM product in over 20 years but now couldn't be happier with our choice.

I haven't posted much since there have been no vehicle issues and I'm sure there are now thousand's of happy owners out there like me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
enclave4her said:
have been no vehicle issues and I'm sure there are now thousand's of happy owners out there like me.
amen..the silent majority :thumb: It has been said countless times, we tend not to post when everything is A OK so folks may get the wrong impression of the overall fleet reading this, or any model specific forum!

·
Registered
379 Posts
With the exception of the noise of the noise, which I overreacted to earlier, we love our Enclaves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to say, and hope I don't get stoned here :p

I've had my AWD E for about 2+ months now, and I wouldn't say it's "really really quiet" or totally noise free (unless your definition of quietness is different than mine). I can hear occasional interior rattling sound from several sources (e.g. console, moon roof, etc.), various pump noises and I can hear distinct tire/road noise at above ~50mph. The Enclave is indeed relatively quieter than several other cars I have driven before, however I was hoping much more reduced road/tire noise, maybe my ears are too sensitive or I have unreasonable expectation.

Anyways, just my 2-cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts