EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to the a Acadia discussion on the +/- button which puts the transmission in Electronic Range Select Mode.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=484.0

There seems to be confusion about what the +/- does particularly among the Buick Salesforce.

I found today that using L4 for the ERS mode top gear makes the Enclave much more sporty when driving local roads, it holds each gear longer so only needs a single downshift to accelerate. The "d" postion is great for highway or quiet cruising but I think I may try some more L4 around town to see if it improves drivability without compromising gas mileage...I do have a late build date so I should have the latest transmission software. Six speeds is still a lot to shift through when in stop and go traffic accelerating to maybe 50. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this??

Also, using lower gear numbers as the top-gear-limit makes the transmission act as a manualmatic/tiptronic sort of but not exactly but certainly can be used to provide "engine breaking" for slippery conditions. In fact AWD *CAN* stop better in snow due to all the wheels using engine breaking but that's for another thread...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
johnt26 I use the L4 range all the time and it's great around town! The L3 is better as the max torque is reached at only 3200 RPM! But the gas mileage DOES suffer! this is a 5,000 lb sled you're throwing around!!
Have fun!!!

PS..........use the downshift from 60 mph or lower and save the brakes. ;) I do it all the time!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I use this all the time as I live in update NY and there are lots of hills in town, however, I would be surprised if the shifting occurs at any different time when in L4 than when in drive. As I understand it all you are doing is selecting or limiting the number of gears you are using i.e. it will not go above 4 if in L4, but it still shifts at the same shift points from 1st to 4th. You can use it to downshift like a tiptronic or if you start at L1 from 0 mph you can make it behave exactly as a tiptronic. It will not, however, have different shift points than when in drive, sorry to disagree.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bsox,

I'm sure you're right about the shift points, the sportier "feel" may be because I'm asking for greater acceleration by using more throttle position which may be artificially holding the shift points longer. I'm too lazy and non-scientific to do any real research, I was hoping that someone like you that knows what they are talking about would chime in...thanks

BTW...day 4 and loving it...I would have never thought a year ago that I would be excited about a brown Buick!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
johnt26 said:
bsox,

I'm sure you're right about the shift points, the sportier "feel" may be because I'm asking for greater acceleration by using more throttle position which may be artificially holding the shift points longer. I'm too lazy and non-scientific to do any real research, I was hoping that someone like you that knows what they are talking about would chime in...thanks

BTW...day 4 and loving it...I would have never thought a year ago that I would be excited about a brown Buick!
I hear you, I would have NEVER thought in a million years I would EVER own a Buick and now I have an almost pathologic addiction to it. Yesterday I was doing some fall cleanup and could not stand it, went into the house to get the camera and take more pictures cuz I though it looked good in the new place I had parked it to get it out of my way. I had mine for 2 months now and still doing stupic stuff like this. :cheers:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drove around yesterday in L4 and "d"...

L4 keeps the rpms over 2000 in "cruise" and makes the truck feel much more peppy when cresting small hills and such. Keeping it in D or L5 or 6 while driving under 50mph makes it upshift too much IMHO and it ends up cruising at 1200rpm or so, feels like it's bogging and unresponsive when you need to accelerate until it goes through it's multiple downshifts.

Seems to still get 15-16 mpg around town either way, I definitely like the "feel" better in L4...

BSox...I'm a car nut and, like you, amazed at how much I like this vehicle. It's the perfect replacement/alternative to an SUV or Minivan for us family haulers. After 10 years of Vans it's nice to drive something I really like, not something that just "does the job"!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
johnt26 said:
drove around yesterday in L4 and "d"...

L4 keeps the rpms over 2000 in "cruise" and makes the truck feel much more peppy when cresting small hills and such. Keeping it in D or L5 or 6 while driving under 50mph makes it upshift too much IMHO and it ends up cruising at 1200rpm or so, feels like it's bogging and unresponsive when you need to accelerate until it goes through it's multiple downshifts.

Seems to still get 15-16 mpg around town either way, I definitely like the "feel" better in L4...

BSox...I'm a car nut and, like you, amazed at how much I like this vehicle. It's the perfect replacement/alternative to an SUV or Minivan for us family haulers. After 10 years of Vans it's nice to drive something I really like, not something that just "does the job"!!
Absolutely agree. And what you describe with the tranny is exactly what several of us on this site have complained about and what we continue to complain about, how doggy it is especially with normal acceleration between 3rd and 4th gears and frequent downshifts in cruise at highway speeds. See Gshields posts. Although you can compensate for this as you have, we don't feel we should need to mess this much to get the vehicle to perform. GM is working on this as evidenced by the software changes with the upgraded tranny (if built after August 1st which you were, you have the newest software), but many of us still feel it could be better. The trade-off with the low RPM and therefore power, is the great mpg on the highway for a vehicle this size. I got 26.5 mpg when I was in my breakin period driving 55 mph for 225 miles....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
PS..........use the downshift from 60 mph or lower and save the brakes. ;) I do it all the time!
Whoa! Maybe going down a long hill so that the brakes don't fade into oblivion, but most modern cars have expensive transmissions and very effective inexpensive-to-fix brakes. Not recommended to use the transmission as a brake, especially automatic trannies.

TM

·
Registered
94 Posts
We've had our enclave since september and have never done anything but drive in "d". I just got home from the grocery store and decided to play with it for the first time...WOW WOW WOW!!! It makes a HUGE difference. I put it in "L" and moved from 3 and 4. I've loved our enclave from day one (as much as you can love a car) but I always wanted a little more power. I know this has been talked about but the power is there. GM needs to have some sort of "sport" mode to allow for the faster city driving if one wants to sacrifice fuel mileage. My wife will probably just keep it in "d" but I know how i'm driving the enclave from now on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the towing package and have been using it around town when not towing. It holds each gear longer, and is much sportier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
redeye said:
I ordered the towing package and have been using it around town when not towing. It holds each gear longer, and is much sportier.
I would like to get a laundry list of all the things the tow/haul mode does besides the transmission shift points and the six flashes of the turn signal..

Does it affect the "oil life" monitor...I would think it would but I don't care as I'm going for 5K changes anyway. Does it completely lockout 6th gear and/or the torque converter lock-up??

Anyone in the know??

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tin Man said:
Whoa! Maybe going down a long hill so that the brakes don't fade into oblivion, but most modern cars have expensive transmissions and very effective inexpensive-to-fix brakes. Not recommended to use the transmission as a brake, especially automatic trannies.

TM
Then why does it have a gear range selector button?? Is it possible that GM didn't believe we would drive it in 3rd gear,around town, and let the tranny do some braking for us? Hope not, cause we have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty ;)

I don't rely solely on the tranny to stop me, but I sure "row" the gears :thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smokin SRX said:
I don't rely solely on the tranny to stop me, but I sure "row" the gears :thumb:
now you've done it, there goes your warranty! ;D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Then why does it have a gear range selector button?? Is it possible that GM didn't believe we would drive it in 3rd gear,around town, and let the tranny do some braking for us? Hope not, cause we have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty ;)

There ARE uses for staying in low range, mainly for safely maneuvering down a very steep hill (yes, using the engine for a brake) or for going up a very steep hill, including when towing on some vehicles or in heavy 4WD turf. Both are for slow moving and are not meant to be used when the regular brakes are up to the task.

No, you won't be doing yourself any good by "saving the brakes" using the transmission to slow the car. Its just a bad thing to do for a complex automatic.

TM

PS: I once had a discussion with a mechanic that worked at Lexus and Audi who temporarily worked at Mercedes. He said that their brakes were crap. Mine now have 114,000 miles on the original front pads while the rear lasted about 105,000 miles. I told him it was because people who had extended warranties and/or thought these cars were like Porsches abused them. I believe your view helps my argument. Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tin Man said:
PS: I once had a discussion with a mechanic that worked at Lexus and Audi who temporarily worked at Mercedes. He said that their brakes were crap. Mine now have 114,000 miles on the original front pads while the rear lasted about 105,000 miles. I told him it was because people who had extended warranties and/or thought these cars were like Porsches abused them. I believe your view helps my argument. Thanks. ;)
I think premature brake wear has a lot to do with those folks that drive with 2 feet, you know the ones you follow that constantly have their brake lights on!

I like downshifting for braking in my manual transmission cars and also do it occasionly in the Enclave....

·
Registered
758 Posts
johnt26 said:
I think premature brake wear has a lot to do with those folks that drive with 2 feet, you know the ones you follow that constantly have their brake lights on!

I like downshifting for braking in my manual transmission cars and also do it occasionally in the Enclave....
Yeah, if you are driving it like a sports car, downshifting does help set up the suspension for a corner and gets into a faster gear for acceleration. But that is an old technique when there was no stabili-trak or ABS etc. Its conceivable that doing the shifting thing may be counterproductive, work against the built in safety systems, or at least not be as effective as just leaving things alone. I would only do it to avoid the dreaded "hunting around for the proper gear" that the 6 speed automatic seems to do.

Certainly it is good to know how to properly control a vehicle, especially when driving on mountainous curvy fast roads. I would try it myself when I get a chance and my wife isn't looking, but I wouldn't do it routinely.

We baby our cars out of respect, wanting no extra repairs, to calm our nerves, and anticipating keeping the vehicle a long time or at least selling it privately in mint condition for a great price, all of which we have done already with other expensive vehicles.

I would argue that an Enclave does not fall into the sports car category, but obviously some on this forum drive it that way.

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
While I understand your viewpoint I must point out that "abusing" hardly seems the accurate word here. I enjoy driving my Enclave in a sporty fashion as you apparently enjoy driving your Benz's in a less vigorous way. How else could you get a commendable 114,000 miles on front pads, on a heavy auto???? :eek:

To add some light, directly from the Buick brochure, (towards middle, page all orange in color), the tranny has a feature called "automatic grade shift logic" which detects that you're going downhill quite a bit, for a prolonged time, possibly towing, and assists the brakes by downshifting the tranny into a lower gear! (many here know of it.) Even models w/o Tow/haul mode have it :thumb:

It goes on to say.........."of course you can always shift through the gears manually by using the buttons on the shifter". I assume they realize that they are offering/encouraging drivers to let engine braking occur? Not to think so would be naive, on their part, no?

Anyway, IMHO that's good enough for me ;) Happy motoring..............

·
Registered
758 Posts
The solid build of the Enclave, its suspension, and high performance engine does make it an amazing vehicle to begin with. I'm always amazed how much smaller and lesser cars have similar fuel economy numbers too.

So enjoy driving it, Smokin. Just be careful on those slippery on-ramps!

TM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts