EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, in response to the often debated and highly controversial cabin filter topic, I finally decided to install mine since the factory left it out when the Enclave was built. It wasn't too complicated.

Step 1: Go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and order GM part #20958479 or purchase AC Delco part #CF179C from your local parts store or online. The filter is a high efficiency pleated pollen filter and is charcoal impregnated. It cost me $22.42 from gmpartsdirect.com. Below are pictures of what the filter looks like:

Step 2: Lower the glovebox and remove the tray/screen from the HVAC blower access panel and discard the built up leaves and/or debris in the screen. I don't have pictures of the glovebox access as it has been covered in other threads:

Step 3: Now you have a nice clean screen and the filter fits perfectly into the tray (make sure the arrow is pointing down). Slide the tray back into the housing making sure all tabs "click" and lock. That's it:

Of course if you don't have the removeable access panel with filter tray/screen (like in my Acadia) then there is no way to install the filter, but if you have the tray/screen you are good to go.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Re: Cabin Air Filter Successfully Installed in 2008 Enclave

ohh darn--- I was hoping you had the plastic panel and modded the panel.

But- good thing you did this. this should be easy for many to do.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

rbarrios said:

I looked long and hard in my Acadia, and the only way I see is to order the part number for the access tray/screen with access door section like is in our Enclave which would hopefully include the complete housing that mounts over the blower. But I decided that was just too much trouble as I would have to take the dash apart to be able to dissasemble the solid panel housing and install the accessible one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

rbarrios said:
Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the thread title too.

Oh well. . .

. . Falcon

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
What does the non-removable plastic panel look like? Does it look similar to the removable tray pictured above, or does it look different? I still haven't had a chance to check my Enclave, but without removing the glove box, my plastic front cover appears just like the one pictured above. I am hoping that this suggest that I have the removable filter tray. :-\

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Not to be argumentative, :thumb: but in the post I linked to, go down to the sixth post on the first page. It is by popeyelk and has two pictures posted. If you click on each picture, you will see the difference in the cover piece as opposed to the removable cover piece as shown in the pictures one or two posts before that one.

As you mentioned, however, following the topic to another link does lead to even better pictures of the non-removable cover.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ccaats said:
Ok, in response to the often debated and highly controversial cabin filter topic, I finally decided to install mine since the factory left it out when the Enclave was built. It wasn't too complicated.
Why do you say the filter was left out from the factory? Does the filter restrict airflow to the blower?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AA/78U said:
Why do you say the filter was left out from the factory? Does the filter restrict airflow to the blower?
Good question....there has been much debate as to why it was left out on many vehicles even though the tray with screen is in place and then on other vehicles the tray/screen is completely gone. However, the owner's manual lists the part number and description for the filter and GM still sells it, so I figured I would go for it. I couldn't tell any change in airflow with the filter and without.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ccaats said:
Good question....there has been much debate as to why it was left out on many vehicles even though the tray with screen is in place and then on other vehicles the tray/screen is completely gone. However, the owner's manual lists the part number and description for the filter and GM still sells it, so I figured I would go for it. I couldn't tell any change in airflow with the filter and without.
My 07 has the screen and I have always thought it was strange there was no filter.............anyway I think I will purchase one, thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am in the process of getting the slide in tray unit as shown and the filter as. I will then cut out the molded section in the heater box and install the unit.
I have looked at the space available and it is possible , maybe not easy to get in a spiral cutter to remove the plastic. I have made up a long pipe - from garden hose to attach to my shop vac to remove any small bits of plastic from the bottom of the heater housing.

as it is very cold at the moment and the parts aren't here yet I am looking at April for this fit. Anyone thinking of doing this before then - please keep us all up to date.

ccaats - could you say if the screen /filter unit ran in guides in the heater assembly or was the unit self supporting . It looks as if it is self supporting but it would be nice to now there was nothing there before cutting.

I have registered this complaint with GM Canada and am working with my dealer on the resolution. I am doing this so as not to invalidate warranty - I have also sent them a copy of the posting with the filter solution - re smell.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Hmmm....no photo where you describe. shrug Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

GoldEnclave, I had no idea why the link I posted was not showing up for you to look at the pictures. I logged off the Traverse forum and then clicked my link on this forum. Guess what! The post showed up with just the comment about no filter on his 2011, and there were no pictures. I logged back onto the Traverse forum and clicked this link again. Now the pictures showed up.

It appears that you must be logged in on each individual forum to see all of the pictures on each forum. When I was not logged in, I saw some pictures but not all. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
asgard said:
I am in the process of getting the slide in tray unit as shown and the filter as. I will then cut out the molded section in the heater box and install the unit.
I have looked at the space available and it is possible , maybe not easy to get in a spiral cutter to remove the plastic. I have made up a long pipe - from garden hose to attach to my shop vac to remove any small bits of plastic from the bottom of the heater housing.

as it is very cold at the moment and the parts aren't here yet I am looking at April for this fit. Anyone thinking of doing this before then - please keep us all up to date.

ccaats - could you say if the screen /filter unit ran in guides in the heater assembly or was the unit self supporting . It looks as if it is self supporting but it would be nice to now there was nothing there before cutting.

I have registered this complaint with GM Canada and am working with my dealer on the resolution. I am doing this so as not to invalidate warranty - I have also sent them a copy of the posting with the filter solution - re smell.
asgard, I can't remember but will look this afternoon. I am almost positive the tray is self supporting, but I will let you know if I see any tracks/guides. I will be interested to see if you can make this work on your sealed assembly as I may try on my Acadia as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
ls973800 said:
Hmmm....no photo where you describe. shrug Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

GoldEnclave, I had no idea why the link I posted was not showing up for you to look at the pictures. I logged off the Traverse forum and then clicked my link on this forum. Guess what! The post showed up with just the comment about no filter on his 2011, and there were no pictures. I logged back onto the Traverse forum and clicked this link again. Now the pictures showed up.

It appears that you must be logged in on each individual forum to see all of the pictures on each forum. When I was not logged in, I saw some pictures but not all. Hope this helps.
Well, that must be the cause for the confusion. ;) Thanks, for your help, and thanks for figuring this out, too. :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
All, just in case you didn't search the Acadia forum here's a link to a TSB that involves adding a cabin air filter to the sealed units:http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=8063.msg135192#msg135192. Basically you cut out the HVAC molded access panel, make sure any rough edges are filed down, then install the screen (like some of the early 2008's) with the filter in it (like some of the later 2011's have). Although GM's cost accountants tried to cheapen the HVAC (which should have a cabin air filter STANDARD like the Cobalt did!) by eliminating the filter and even the screen, if you cut away the access panel the screen/filter will work. I haven't done this, though. Some owners had the TSB completed by their dealer because of a smell in the cabin.

Again GM, in the end you are now installing the filter on the 2011 and even have a TSB for earlier models. Wouldn't it be better to have just included this on the Enclave since it is a luxury car, and just charge the customer an extra $2.50 to pay for the part?

·
Registered
35 Posts
2008 Enclave with sealed unit behind glove box. Dealer very accomodating after I mentioned smell when idling. Parts ordered and retrofit will be done under warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
In looking at the pics ccaats provided, isn't it possible that when those leaves got sucked into the screen that they could have been damp with moisture?? With the filter place above the screen, isn't it conceivable to think that the filter may get damp and creat other problems, like mold or restricted air-flow??

Just asking 'cause I think its a great idea and one that I am going to take a look at for my '08.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts