EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happen to me, I was driving my Enclave :thumb: about 40 to 45, and my daughter :binky: lower the back window half way, the air trying to get in build up the air pressure and then it drop back and forth the more I drove the faster and the greater the pressure was building to the point where it was hurting both of our ear :eek:. Like a subsonic boom, pulsating the air pressure was more than I could take, I roll the window up and it went away, I try the same with the other window, behind the driver halfway down and in about 30 or 40 sec. still driving at the same speed and it got to be to much again, :confused: this time I open another window and it stop. Don't know if this has happen to anyone out there or if it could be duplicated in other Enclave or this just happen in mine. Don't know if this is a good thing ( cabin being so air tight ) or a design flaw :confused: Any info or suggestion welcome. :help:

Myfirstbuick

·
Registered
432 Posts

Myfirstbuick said:
This just happen to me, I was driving my Enclave :thumb: about 40 to 45, and my daughter :binky: lower the back window half way, the air trying to get in build up the air pressure and then it drop back and forth the more I drove the faster and the greater the pressure was building to the point where it was hurting both of our ear :eek:. Like a subsonic boom, pulsating the air pressure was more than I could take, I roll the window up and it went away, I try the same with the other window, behind the driver halfway down and in about 30 or 40 sec. still driving at the same speed and it got to be to much again, :confused: this time I open another window and it stop. Don't know if this has happen to anyone out there or if it could be duplicated in other Enclave or this just happen in mine. Don't know if this is a good thing ( cabin being so air tight ) or a design flaw :confused: Any info or suggestion welcome. :help:
Myfirstbuick
Here's a hint from a Saab site that reads much like one would describe the E:

"Quietest Saab Ever The Saab 9-5 Sedan has the lowest interior noise level ever achieved in a Saab car. The excellent aerodynamic properties of the body help reduce potential wind noise. Almost all the unwanted noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) are reduced by the design of the engine and suspension mounts, while the turbocharger helps reduce exhaust noise. Porous sound absorbent pads are applied to the engine compartment bulkhead and hood top to damp out engine-radiated sound."

"Particular attention - such as triple door seals - has been given to the upper door frames to minimize road and wind noise transmitted through this area. All door seals are tubular to ensure they are effective regardless of whether there is a slightly positive or negative air pressure difference between the inside and outside of the car." So when you open the second window the pressure is equalized (inside/outside the same). I suspect the inside pressure is more pronounced if the fan/heat system recirculate is set and there is no little bit of outside air available to equalize the cabin. Maybe an experiment with having recirculate set open would balance things in the original configuration you described. Just thinking. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it turns out! :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does the same for me. I have found this situation in every car I have had for the last 4 or 5. Before that I don't remember, my 33 yr old daughter says it's because of oldtimers disease.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
It is just wind buffeting. I think it is even mentioned in the owners manual. The car is so tight that letting air in only one window causes the problem. You can get rid of it by cracking another window some or even the sunroof if you have one. It is normal and is related to the tightness of the vehicle. Having one window open on each side will stop it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think most cars do it - maybe the longer cars has this effect more than sedans - our 2002 Tahoe had it just as bad as our Enclave.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Coffee, I think they are referring to slight pressure gradients as when heater is on low VS high speed, etc. When a window is open at 40MPH or so, no door seals (hopefully!) allow that much leakage and as others have stated, normal "buffeting" occurs. Very annoying and in 1999, I had a friends car blow out a rear windshield when he allowed it to continue. :eek:

Crack another window or VENT :thumb:

·
Registered
432 Posts

Smokin SRX said:
Coffee, I think they are referring to slight pressure gradients as when heater is on low VS high speed, etc. When a window is open at 40MPH or so, no door seals (hopefully!) allow that much leakage and as others have stated, normal "buffeting" occurs. Very annoying and in 1999, I had a friends car blow out a rear windshield when he allowed it to continue. :eek:
Crack another window or VENT :thumb:
Makes sense to me, Smokin; it's just that I've never experienced the problem, even when we had Saab cars. I guess the volume of air inside E leads to more issues, too. My general practice has always been, when a given window is opened for ventilation, to always crack open the crossed window (i.e. open passenger rear, crack driver's front), to obtain mos efficient airflow. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts