EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know there already are a few threads re this, but was afraid it would be missed so I started anew. Yep, as some have said, it's behind the glove box. And it ain't NO filter! The screen I found had trapped a leaf! Not much more. I recommend a filter material such as you can buy in a hardware store for vacuums or A/C units. Takes about 3 minutes to change once you know how. Prop the glove box up so it can't fall all the way down and pop off it's press-on hinge mounts. No big deal, but pain to align again! A 10" block should hold it up. Cut your material to size (about 8" x 7" needed, minimum) Beware light, plastic retainer clips! May not hold up well if handled roughly.

I have posted 5 pix with all the details. See page 3 of my album if interested. (click Camera logo on far left) Good luck and breathe easy :thumb: I know I will.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and description Smokin! :thumb: :thumb: Looks like someone should be able to build a "drop in filter" the same size as that tray that would fit right on top of the screen. Maybe some aftermarket vendor will offer one soon! I guess all lambdas would be same size opening.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem. mine is in and working well! I put a A/C universal, cut-to-size filter mesh in there and it just fits. Will inspect in a few weeks to see what I'm catching :thumb: If anything interesting, I will post a pix.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Smokin', one question. In the first pic your finger is pointing to the round "thing". What do you do to release the glove box? Do you push it, turn it, or what?

Thanks for you help! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xrayman said:
Smokin', one question. In the first pic your finger is pointing to the round "thing". What do you do to release the glove box? Do you push it, turn it, or what?

Thanks for you help! :thumb:
In pix #001, you twist it (about a quarter to half turn) and pull inward at same time. The pin pulls completely out and box will drop off (if unsupported!) when 2nd pin is pulled! They need some good finger strength but I wouldn't use a plier on these plastic retainers!

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Smokin,

Thanks for your help. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xrayman said:
Smokin,

Thanks for your help. :thumb:
No problem. Our air velocity seems same, at all heater speeds, after a week. Maybe we'll have less dust on the dash...........and in our lungs!!! :eek:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
No problem. Our air velocity seems same, at all heater speeds, after a week. Maybe we'll have less dust on the dash...........and in our lungs!!! :eek:
You might notice a difference if you have hay fever type allergies.

And yes, changing it every 15,000 miles or so is important, otherwise you get a musty smell that can get pretty bad. Been there done that.

TM

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just opened up access through the glove box to pull my filter out and all though I have the same rectangular area where Smokin's filter is, mine doesn't have plastic retainer clips. Mine has a screw at the bottom and the top, which are mounted horizontially above and below the plastic unit. I'm going to try and get a driver in there to take it off, but I'm wondering if I even have a filter in there.

Smokin, what year is your ride? Mine was purchased in January of this year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, it looks like the screws are 7/64 hex and I'm having a hard time getting to them. I wonder why they made it so hard to access this thing (if it's even there still). I'd like to add some filter material to my screen and replace/clean it monthly, since we live in such a dusty environment.

Our vehicle is only 4 months old and we've already got that dusty/musty smell with the AC on...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
techno said:
So, it looks like the screws are 7/64 hex and I'm having a hard time getting to them. I wonder why they made it so hard to access this thing (if it's even there still). I'd like to add some filter material to my screen and replace/clean it monthly, since we live in such a dusty environment.

Our vehicle is only 4 months old and we've already got that dusty/musty smell with the AC on...
No it's not the screws!!! See my pix and you must have the little platic pinch tabs (clips) that I have unless a major change occurred. mine was built in July!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked again! The pinch tabs are 2 directly above/in front where my fingers are pointing and 2 directly to left and right of my fingers (but an inch lower) on lower part of that rectangular plate. NOT the vertical ones between the plastic "X" lines! look agian. I used a small screwdriver or something to relesse/pinch the retaining clips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, mine looks nothing like that... See photo.

I took it to the dealer today for it's first oil change (ended up going with Mobile 1 synthetic) and asked them why my ride's AC smelled so dusty after only 4 months. They said they'd look into it. When I picked it up, they said the filter was full of dust and they cleaned it. They said just ask everytime I get an oil change and they'll clean it, so there must be a way of getting at it...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Interesting that techno has a different filter housing without the clips. Ours was built 10/1 and looks like smokin's. Wow, I was amazed at how many leaves were in it after just 6 mos. By the way, I measured the best fit at 9 1/4" x 6 5/8" x 5/8" It appears there are several companies that will make custom size filters. I checked the website below, and they will make a filter the size to fit our "tray" for prices ranging from $6.99 ea to $15.99 each depending on efficiency. See link:

http://www.filters-now.com/custom.php

The only question I would have is "how much filter resistance can the A/C blower handle? I would hate to buy a high efficiency filter with high resistance and cause the fan motor to burn out. Anyone care to be the "guinea pig"? Or do I need to do it? tralfaz, any insight here?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
techno said:
Yeah, mine looks nothing like that... See photo.

I took it to the dealer today for it's first oil change (ended up going with Mobile 1 synthetic) and asked them why my ride's AC smelled so dusty after only 4 months. They said they'd look into it. When I picked it up, they said the filter was full of dust and they cleaned it. They said just ask everytime I get an oil change and they'll clean it, so there must be a way of getting at it...

WOW! Bummer! techno has totally diff design. ??? Buick must have a few manufacturers pumping these out.

Based on your dealer service experience, I'm wondering if folks with YOUR design "door/cover" actually HAVE a filter??? You saw my screen only "filter"! A joke! No dust caught there.

THX for posting your pix so others will know to look for 2 types. I will modify captions on my pix to advise such. Seems our build dates made a large difference. Maybe all the newer ones DO have the mythical "cabin air filter"? Did they reference a PART # on your service invoice??????

So I'm built in 6/07 and ccaats in 10/07. We have ridiculous screen only "filter". Anybody else?

ccaats I wouldn't worry about a filter of standard A/C type density (Like web site you posted) hurting the blower motor at all. It has to be strong enough to handle back pressure from many outlets (some maybe even closed) and at many air speeds. And it seems newer builds have a filter from factory! I'm hoping Techno posts the part #. I'd order just to see fitment/design. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Smokin:

I can't seem to get the gallery to load right now. Once the plastic pins are rotated, does the glove compartment pull out, or does it just hang there? I got the clips rotated but I can't seem to get any further.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You have to pull the plugs out and the compartment will lower down. If you're not careful, the latches will come out of the grooves. I put a small box below it, to keep it propped up.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
techno said:
You have to pull the plugs out and the compartment will lower down. If you're not careful, the latches will come out of the grooves. I put a small box below it, to keep it propped up.
I finally read the posts again and realized it is like you say. I was simply turning the plugs and not actually pulling them out. I let the compartment door drop enough that the right hand "hinge" had to be fed back in but it was painless. Since mine is an April 07 build, it is like Smokin's, like one would expect it to be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good work guys! I peaked at mine again and the make-shift filter I put in is getting a little clogged with dust and pollen or something! Glad it's not in my lungs! dashboard is staying cleaner! Fascinating! Estimate a 2-3 month filter change rate in Spring and Summer. Probably go all Winter however, on one change. We'll see.

The material I used is from a sheet of 24" X 30" A/C filter mesh, sold everywhere! Finer mesh is available but wanted to go slow so as not to clog the filter every 1,000 miles. But if I had allergies, I'd go to a finer mesh.......like a breathing mask (sold at paint/hardware stores) for more filtration. The fan motor seems to handle w/o effort.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice! I still need to figure out how to access mine, so I can do the same. I'm going to try and find some kind of wrench that has a heck bit on it, which will allow me to get to those horizontal screws. Perhaps it's still behind there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts