EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a mistake in the manual. It should say "shift to low, then use the paddles". When you shift to low it drops it down one gear.

The shifter is awkward at first, but I'm pretty used to it now and like the storage space below, which would not be available with a mechanical shifter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pretty big proofreading mistake when the preceding paragraph explains shifting to low then using the paddles, and then intentionally adding an entirely new paragraph for a capability that doesn't exist explaining how you can temporarily use the paddles without shifting to low. Obviously they knew that doesn't work, and it must have gone through several levels of review and approval, but they left it in the guide anyway.

I agree that an electronic shifter is better than a mechanical one, but they could easily have designed the electronic shift pattern better. In fact it would have been simpler and less expensive to simply have PRND, but they intentionally made it unintuitive and ergonomically unpleasant just to be different. That's the definition of poor design and an inferior senior management culture.

Still loving most everything else though!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never owned another vehicle with an electronic shifter, so I have nothing to compare it to. It is definitely unintuitive, but I have to believe it was done to prevent some sort of safety issue. It is certainly not cool. I can see why they used a button for Park, to prevent putting it there while in motion. The side button and shift up and to the left would seem to prevent shifting into reverse by accident. I suppose they could have implemented electronic safeties to prevent unintended shifting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Chrysler 300 with an electronic shifter. I like the shifter in this Enclave much better.

And most safety features are made because someone has done or will do something stupid. They walk among us AND they breed and vote!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is a tip I just discovered. If you miss the analog clock that was on the dash of older models, just touch the time display at the top right corner of the infotainment display. Instant analog clock. You won't be able to use the other functions of the display while that screen is up but it is cool looking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was curious about the low speed pedestrian warning/braking so I set up a soft object and drove slowly toward it. There was never a warning and the vehicle didn't brake even after touching the object.

I also haven't seen any warnings or braking when cars have slowed or stopped suddenly in front of me. A couple of times the warning has displayed when a car has cut closely into my lane.

All of the safety features are turned on and I've tried with the distance at far, medium, and near.

Has anyone experienced the safety features working to prevent a collision with a car or pedestrian?

Also, I got my first rock damage to the windshield. Barely a month old and my pristine ride has a giant hole and star right in the middle of the driver's side. Had it filled but it looks the same.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DPorter, sorry about your windshield. I try my best to stay away from trucks on the highway, but sometimes it is impossible.

I have noticed that contrary to what the manual says, the auto brake feature only works when in adaptive cruise mode. When the cruise is off, I get the warning flash on the windshield but the brakes are not applied under any circumstances. I have tested it several times, almost rear-ending other vehicles. The first service appointment is coming up. I have planned to ask the dealer about it. I haven't tested the pedestrian warning/braking system yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I avoid trucks also and wasn't following one when it happened. The rock seemed to come out of nowhere. I almost cried.

I truly hope you're wrong about the safety features only working with ACC on. You can't use ACC during city driving and it would defeat the main purpose of vehicle/pedestrian detection and braking if it didn't work anywhere but the highway. There is nothing in the manual stating that these safety features only work with ACC activated and I can't believe they would forget to explain something that important. In fact the manual specifically states that FAB and FPB detect vehicles and pedestrians, provide a warning, may slow or completely stop the vehicle automatically, and work whenever driving in a forward gear. The only mention of ACC is that if equipped with ACC the detection distance is even greater.

However, as I said the FPB didn't do anything when I tested it with an upright object directly in front of the vehicle, and I too have attempted to test the collision detection/auto braking by coming up behind my wife's car and there was no response at all from the Enclave. I wonder if the system only works in the very last few feet before a collision, closer than what we're able to test? You would think that it would at least start to slow down though.

Please post what your dealer says.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would hope they wouldn't have it wait until the last second to slam on the brakes. As mentioned, I have come pretty close to collision while testing this feature. I found this disclaimer on page 139 of my manual. Seems like a contradiction to the description of how the FCA works.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any 2018+ owners (or maybe previous model years if the battery is the same) know how to remove the electrical box on top of the positive side of the battery in the event that the battery needs to be replaced?

There are some significant electrical connectors bolted to the top of the battery, so it's not just a matter of loosening the terminals and pulling it out.

The manual doesn't explain what this is and just says to see your dealer if the battery needs replacement.
Hopefully it's not something that only a GM service department can do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you haven't already, you can lift the cover of that box. It is hinged on the left side and there are releases on the front and inside the red flip-up lid. Inside the box are what appear to be circuit breakers and at least one fuse. There is a small nut that attaches the box to the positive terminal. I can't see how it is attached on the hinged side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, that's the part. After removing the nuts from the battery posts I don't see an obvious way to remove the electrical box and all the breakers in order to remove the battery itself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone know how to use the fan without turning on the a/c?

When it's cool outside and you just want some air circulation without running the a/c, you simply turn on the fan in every other vehicle I've ever driven.

In this vehicle there seems to be no option to run the fan without a/c. Unless I'm missing a control or setting somewhere, it comes on automatically whether I want it to or not and whether I want cold or heat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can turn off the AC. Make sure Auto mode is off. On the Climate screen, touch the AC button. The blue light should go out and you can adjust the temperature and fan speed to your liking. I have used it a couple of times in that mode.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It will return to the last setting. If the AC was off when you last shut the engine off it should be off when you start it back up, unless you put it in Auto mode. It shouldn't come on in manual mode unless you turn it on.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
9 Participants
latunafish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing