EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this problem more widespread than we think? I was on Edmunds forum last night and there were a bunch of people there reporting the same thing.

So for those with the problem, what was your build date?

·
Registered
83 Posts
jr7243 said:
Is this problem more widespread than we think? I was on Edmunds forum last night and there were a bunch of people there reporting the same thing.

So for those with the problem, what was your build date?
My Enclave was build in January 2008 and seems to be one of the cars that received camshafts made by a different supplier

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine was also January 2008. The check engine light went on at 1800 miles, it then took over 30 days for the dealer to get the parts (including specialized gaskets) & special tools! It then took the tech 7 business days to replace 2 camshafts & a cylinder head. I got the car back last week....I told the dealer, I would have perferred that they throw an '09 engine in it, and that I really liked the loaner car they gave me (trail blazer) which had more pickup.

Driving it long distance over the weekend, I now have the check engine light on again with "service traction control /stablitrack codes!"

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
chile said:
Mine was also January 2008. The check engine light went on at 1800 miles, it then took over 30 days for the dealer to get the parts (including specialized gaskets) & special tools! It then took the tech 7 business days to replace 2 camshafts & a cylinder head. I got the car back last week....I told the dealer, I would have perferred that they throw an '09 engine in it, and that I really liked the loaner car they gave me (trail blazer) which had more pickup.

Driving it long distance over the weekend, I now have the check engine light on again with "service traction control /stablitrack codes!"
Wow what a story, sorry to hear it. Might want to start looking into the lemon law in your state...that really stinks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Build date - January 23, 2008. Dealer finally got the parts, going in on Monday. Hopefully everything will be done quickly and properly...

·
Registered
12 Posts
so...the dealer "re-flashed" the computer last week (2 wks after the new cams put in), & everything was fine. Last night I was coming home in a heavy rainstorm & first the stablitrack light went on, then the check engine light. Calling on-star, they say that a camshaft is not communicating with the computer correctly! They offered a 3-way conferance call to the dealer (myself, enclave & dealer), but i would have to be in the car at the time!!!! my old jeep gc is looking better & better these days!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check engine light -> dealer visit -> camshaft position sensor fault!

Third one at this dealer.

He returned the vehicle to me and said he would call when the parts are in.

Built last week of January.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So can someone describe what is wrong with the camshafts and will you / can you cause more damage
by driving with bad ones waiting for replacement?

m

·
Registered
33 Posts
txhokie4life said:
So can someone describe what is wrong with the camshafts and will you / can you cause more damage
by driving with bad ones waiting for replacement?
Here is how it was described to me by the service manager:

There is a burr on the end of the camshaft that shaves away material in the head as the camshaft rotates. As the material is shaved away, the camshaft can move. Eventually it moves far enough that the magnet that activates the camshaft position sensor is no longer underneath the sensor. You then get the fault.

The fault can be intermittent because the camshaft moves back and forth. This was my problem. The Check Engine Light would come on and then reset a day or two later, clearing out the fault. Then one to three days later it would come on again. This has happened five times so far. The problem was getting it to the dealer when the light was on, due to weekends and travel.

The service manager didn't seem to think much bad could happen in the amount of time (unknown) it will take for the parts to come in. I would assume that the burr keeps shaving away material as long as the engine is running. I have a neighbor with an Acadia that had the problem. He said there was 1/4 inch of play when they replaced his, but it still ran O.K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
again - took mine into the dealer, as the camshaft "is not talking well to the computer". they say i need a camshaft actuator for bank # 2 (?) i asked why they didn't change it when they put the new cams in it before??? (no real answer back).

it will be a week before the part comes in. they then will (again) steal an '07 arcadia from their used car dept, for me to use as a loaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts