EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problems are starting to mount and it's really unfortunate that I am getting pissed at a car that just hit 1k. I now have to take the Enclave in for the forward roll when in park, my lift gate that continues to open when nothing is in the trunk and now that it is extremely cold out we find out the remote start will only work at eight feet away. Yes, 8! :angryfire: This is with nothing blocking the car, walking straight to it. We've tried the chin trick and finally my husband measured out the distance with me trying the start. Is this something that can be fixed with another remote or are we basically just stuck not using it? By time the car starts we are literally at the door unlocking it. I really wish I had a close dealer and one that doesn't require appointments.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it both remotes? I had the problem with my Park Ave. and it was weak battery in the remote itself. Cold will affect the batteries as well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check tonight when I get home. I actually file the second set of keys away with the purchase documents b/c I am the only driver. I will update this evening. I do know the car was manufactured in September and it was delivered to me in late October so the battery shouldn't be too old.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We know you're frustrated, but we kid around here at times ;)

Definitely rule out the battery by trying 2nd remote! If same w/both, it's the receiver/antenna. period. I get 7-12 car lengths, always! Backing in helps me get the best. Maybe antenna is near front end??
Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got home and tried the other remote. The second remote is the same length to start so I will assume that both batteries are not defective and something else is the issue (or I was given defective batteries in both units).

I also enjoy joking around but after a long, stressful day to see I've been zeroed in on for a typo when other member's threads have spelling and grammatical errors that are basically unreadable is annoying. I hope to have my sense of humor back tomorrow. It would arrive quicker if I weren't stuck in 20 degree weather waiting for my car to start. ;D

·
Registered
405 Posts
GM has this problem listed on their FAQ, so it must be an issue:

My car won't remote start unless I am close to it, is this normal?
Normal remote start range may be up to 180 feet. In some instances, remote start range can be influenced by vehicle location , proximity to buildings/other vehicles or proximity to radio stations.
I think the answer covers most conditions!!! Ummmm:"proximity to buildings or other vehicles"?

So, maybe go test it in a field somewhere with no cars, buildings or radio stations? ::)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
*Enclave* said:
GM has this problem listed on their FAQ, so it must be an issue:

My car won't remote start unless I am close to it, is this normal?
Normal remote start range may be up to 180 feet. In some instances, remote start range can be influenced by vehicle location , proximity to buildings/other vehicles or proximity to radio stations.
I think the answer covers most conditions!!! Ummmm:"proximity to buildings or other vehicles"?

So, maybe go test it in a field somewhere with no cars, buildings or radio stations? ::)
Disclaimer are certainly crazy at times. But, these are valid, normal, disclaimers that must be considered if someone has SPORADIC problems, in certain areas/conditions. But as stated by* Enclave*, not everyday with "normal" cars & buildings around.

Enclaviuos, I recommend changing/testing the bat in one unit only! It's just too easy not to try before going to dealer. Case snaps open fairly easily with a thin screwdriver. Note battery orientation. Only one side says "+" and must be replaced that way.

If still no luck,.............. DEALER, and you'll get it fixed before whole winter passes you by :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just get the 2-way remote with extended range. . .oh wait, I forgot they are all a wharehouse some where stuck inside the 2nd row consoles. :angel:

·
Registered
405 Posts
orthopac said:
Just get the 2-way remote with extended range. . .oh wait, I forgot they are all a warehouse some where stuck inside the 2nd row consoles. :angel:
"Let me out, puhleaze, let me out!" :help:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was suprised yesterday, I came out of a restaurant two big blocks from "Charlie" and was able to easily unlock him with the chin method but he wouldn't start until I halved the distance...

·
Registered
349 Posts
My wife has no problem using the remote start from inside our house (Enclave in driveway) and about 40 feet from the vehicle. Sounds like everybody's mileage (or range) may be different.

And let me tell you, she was grateful this morning as it was -8F :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same issue.  It's something to do with the receiver since it happens on both enclave remotes.

My wife just got a 2008 GM Equinox and her RemoteStart works from a huge distance.  I tested with both cars in our driveway and the Enclave is just broken....Both car remotes look identical in shape and size.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Enclavious said:
I actually file the second set of keys away with the purchase documents b/c I am the only driver.
I'm the only driver, too, of my Enclave, but I "file" the second set of keys inside the car. That way, if I lose my keys, I can call Onstar to unlock it, and I have keys that I can use instead of being stranded somewhere with my extra keys at home! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
johnt26 said:
I was suprised yesterday, I came out of a restaurant two big blocks from "Charlie" and was able to easily unlock him with the chin method but he wouldn't start until I halved the distance...
"Chin method"??? :help:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rockyp said:
"Chin method"??? :help:
LOL...... Yes, hold the remote under your chin when pressing the button! The human body can act as a ground plane antenna and really boost range! Assuming you have a working remote of course? ;D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rockyp said:
I'm the only driver, too, of my Enclave, but I "file" the second set of keys inside the car. That way, if I lose my keys, I can call Onstar to unlock it, and I have keys that I can use instead of being stranded somewhere with my extra keys at home! :cheers:
LOL.....I do similar......I have a spare key hidden on car! It's a fully programmed key and will start car/disarm alarm. Saved me once before. Off course, if normal keyring is just inside the car.....Onstar time!! Easier than crawling underneath to secret location! No...you'd NEVER find it!! HA!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
ground plane antenna
"ground plane antenna"? You sound like a ham or something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts