EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well another disappointment for us Canadians. Entered my onstar acct # and postal code and tried sending driving direction from MapQuest to the Enclave and got the message it is only available to US subscribers. :sosad:

Guess I will just try the old blue button way for my first time with directions and connections (Just a test - I know exactly where I am going today but this summer I will really test it).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes you are correct I sent an E-mail to OnStar and got the same message.

I thought the internet crossed the border long ago?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canuck said:
Yes you are correct I sent an E-mail to OnStar and got the same message.

I thought the internet crossed the border long ago?
I also inquired of the OnStar operator if she knew if Canadains would be getting the E-Nav download from MapQuest any time soon to which she stated she did not know.

Anyway here are some of my observations from my first use of Directions and Connections

- easy to use and operator assisted and downloaded to the E no problem on the fly
- the distances to turns etc are given in miles not kilometers.
- downloaded directions are for fastest way I assume as it directed me to take the 407 (toll road) which I did not want
- went off route because I did not take 407 and it changed my route on the fly to take the 401 which is what I wanted
- when I entered the 401 it told me to take the collectors but I chose the express because I won't be exiting the 401 for another 2 hours. Well this was a deemed a route change and it wanted me to get into the collectors. (for those who don't know the express and collectors run parallel for about 60km across the top of Toronto - the express are just limited access) For the next 20 km it kept telling me I was going off route because the collectors wiggle as they go around various interchanges. Once the express and collectors finally merged outside of Toronto it settled back in and worked well.
- As we got closer to our destination I went off route again as the route it wanted was not my normal route (it was the MapQuest route though). This time it did not change my route on the fly but just kept asking me if I wanted to return to the route? I finally told it no.

Overall I liked it. I think it would be helpful getting around in a city you didn't know or on a route you were unfamiliar with. The directions it provided where clear and accurate with ample time make lane changes etc and they showed up in the radio display with arrows, miles to exit or turn as well as voice prompts. A pretty cool feature overall.

Not sure if you can request specific routes or not but I will inquire on my longer road trip.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
- the distances to turns etc are given in miles not kilometers.
- As we got closer to our destination I went off route again as the route it wanted was not my normal route (it was the MapQuest route though). This time it did not change my route on the fly but just kept asking me if I wanted to return to the route? I finally told it no.

Overall I liked it. I think it would be helpful getting around in a city you didn't know or on a route you were unfamiliar with. The directions it provided where clear and accurate with ample time make lane changes etc and they showed up in the radio display with arrows, miles to exit or turn as well as voice prompts. A pretty cool feature overall.

Not sure if you can request specific routes or not but I will inquire on my longer road trip.
While in GTA I always got distances in km. Even in the US over the last weekend I got km except on one occasion in miles which had an advanced feature - the next turn and the distance was shown on the DIC in addition to nav display (not that I cared anyway). I guess the km/mi selection is based on the call centre you get connected to and/or the operator.

Like you said, it's a pretty cool feature. Too bad we Cdns get short changed for newer features like e-nav. I too an curious to know if there is a choice of routes like fastest, shortest, avoid toll etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I hope to drive though the US in the summer and go through Chicago. I hope I can request the least congested road when I go.

Can I get them to change the route in Mid stream?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vmtls said:
While in GTA I always got distances in km. Even in the US over the last weekend I got km except on one occasion in miles which had an advanced feature - the next turn and the distance was shown on the DIC in addition to nav display (not that I cared anyway). I guess the km/mi selection is based on the call centre you get connected to and/or the operator.
You had distance in Km? Maybe it does depend on call centre. Next time I use it I will see if I get Km's. I also don't have NAV so all of my directions came up on the radio display. I don't think anything ever came up on the DIC.

vmtls said:
Like you said, it's a pretty cool feature. Too bad we Cdns get short changed for newer features like e-nav. I too an curious to know if there is a choice of routes like fastest, shortest, avoid toll etc.
Canuck said:
I hope to drive though the US in the summer and go through Chicago. I hope I can request the least congested road when I go.

Can I get them to change the route in Mid stream?
Yes you can make changes to the route mid stream. I will also be trying it going through Chicago at the end of June and will be using the toll roads starting in Indiana. What would be nice would be to know the amount of the toll for each plaza in advance from the Dir and Con. I'm pretty sure if you don't have NAV you can't get conjestion info but not sure (not even sure it you can get it with NAV). Any other time I've been through Chicago it is a 2-3 hour journey from south east end to northwest as we are always "Pollumboed" sp so just knowing the routes under construction would be good.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm sure you can get road contruction info in advance from that area. Yes toll roads are the way to go. Went through Chicago 2 years ago and it took about an 1-11/2 hours no holdups except for having money. There must be a simplier way.......for guest travellers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
You had distance in Km? Maybe it does depend on call centre. Next time I use it I will see if I get Km's. I also don't have NAV so all of my directions came up on the radio display. I don't think anything ever came up on the DIC.
After reading this I looked at the OnStar owner guide 'cuz I vaguely remember reading about various voice commands which I have never used. There sure is a voice command to request km or miles - "English - Metric Setting". This is on page 20 Gen 8 guide. I believe it is Gen 7 on 2008s but I doubt there are any changes to voice commands other than BT integration.

Canuck, if you haven't done already, I suggest you download the OnStar Canada Gen 8 Owner's Guide while you wait for the vehicle. That was what I did along with the vehicle owner's manual.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks

The front page looks like where we are going British Columbia and Vancouver Island.

I had already downloaded the Enclave Manual.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vmtls said:
After reading this I looked at the OnStar owner guide 'cuz I vaguely remember reading about various voice commands which I have never used. There sure is a voice command to request km or miles - "English - Metric Setting". This is on page 20 Gen 8 guide. I believe it is Gen 7 on 2008s but I doubt there are any changes to voice commands other than BT integration.

Canuck, if you haven't done already, I suggest you download the OnStar Canada Gen 8 Owner's Guide while you wait for the vehicle. That was what I did along with the vehicle owner's manual.
VMTLS Thanks for the link to the Gen 8 Owner Guide. I don't beleive I have ever seen this before but took the time just now to breeze through it. English Metric Setting will convert between Miles and Kilometers so I will make the change. Lots of interesting features such as saving the location of your hotel etc so you can return to it later without contacting OnStar. I need to check if I received a hardcopy of the OnStar info. Maybe there is a wallet size command card that comes with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
I don't beleive I have ever seen this before but took the time just now to breeze through it. English Metric Setting will convert between Miles and Kilometers so I will make the change. Lots of interesting features such as saving the location of your hotel etc so you can return to it later without contacting OnStar. I need to check if I received a hardcopy of the OnStar info. Maybe there is a wallet size command card that comes with it.
IMHIP2, I did receive the hardcopies of both the Owner's Guide and Quick Reference Card at the time of delivery. The QRC is not a wallet size card though. Anyway, here are the links for OnStar Canada manuals I believe are applicable to MY2008:
Gen 7 Owner's Guide
Gen 7 Quick Reference Card

Here's the main link: Downloadable Guides

Canuck said:
The front page looks like where we are going British Columbia and Vancouver Island.
I thought that was the Rockies in AB/BC. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes you are right it is one of the couple hundred mountain views. We are going to BC the Island then coming back through the mountains to Calgary and back home. so I will see them coming and going. Going through Montana, Idaho, Washington to get there first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Canuck said:
We are going to BC the Island then coming back through the mountains to Calgary and back home. so I will see them coming and going. Going through Montana, Idaho, Washington to get there first.
Wow, you are covering some of the best scenery but also a lot of driving.

In case you aren't already aware, there is a good promotion from OnStar which you may find handy if you plan using a cell phone on a long trip like this. When you register they offer you a promotional 100 minutes of hands-free calling for $20 (regular $50). By doing so you will also be extending the expiry of complementary 30 minutes to 1 year from 60 days. So you will have 130 minutes for the 1st year. IMO, $20 for 100 mins is pretty good considering there are no long distance nor roaming charges with OnStar. Rogers/Bell/Telus of course will kill you.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vmtls said:
IMHIP2, I did receive the hardcopies of both the Owner's Guide and Quick Reference Card at the time of delivery. The QRC is not a wallet size card though. Anyway, here are the links for OnStar Canada manuals I believe are applicable to MY2008:
Gen 7 Owner's Guide
Gen 7 Quick Reference Card

Here's the main link: Downloadable Guides

I thought that was the Rockies in AB/BC. I could be wrong though.
Well I'll be darned. I received them all as well along with an audio disk on OnStar - spent all my time looking at the owners manual I didn't even look at the OnStar one I had tucked in the otherside of the pouch.

I am going to try to do a few "store destinations" (like home or work - it can store 30 tags) and "plan route" commands just to get a feel for it so when I need it when we are out and about I will know how it works

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Canuck said:
do they offer the $20 deal when you activate?
We did mine when I was taking delivery and doing the OnStar demo. Just have your credit card ready. Great deal. I have used two minutes of my 130 so far. We will use ours when in the States for hotels etc as there are no roaming or long distance charges.

·
Registered
612 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
Well another disappointment for us Canadians. Entered my onstar acct # and postal code and tried sending driving direction from MapQuest to the Enclave and got the message it is only available to US subscribers. :sosad:
By some bizaar providence the guy who developed mapquest E-Nav now works with me (he left
GM). I'll ask him Monday about why CA is out of luck. I only have Safe and Sound OnStar so I am also out of luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts