EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Clave Man said:
By some bizaar providence the guy who developed mapquest E-Nav now works with me (he left
GM). I'll ask him Monday about why CA is out of luck. I only have Safe and Sound OnStar so I am also out of luck.
Thanks Clave Man. Any insight would be helpful. May as well play with D & C while I have it.

Not sure if the fix would be on the GM side of things but maybe GM Canada (OnStar Canada) needs to have a deal with MapQuest. If MapQuest allowed a 6 digit postal code maybe that would do it. (I tried just entering the first 5 digits but it didn't like that)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Clave Man said:
By some bizaar providence the guy who developed mapquest E-Nav now works with me (he left
GM). I'll ask him Monday about why CA is out of luck. I only have Safe and Sound OnStar so I am also out of luck.
OK. Here is the answer..

It is Canadian law that any speech device (OnStar turn by turn nav speaks to you) which is sold in Canada *must* speak both English AND French. GM apparently didn't have time or budget to support the French language. This doesn't mean they can't add more languages someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Well why does this not this suprise me!

Thanks for the heads up.

I checked Garmin manuals and wow you can change the language that is used in the voice prompts. At least Garmin since it is sold around the world has this aspect covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Clave Man said:
OK. Here is the answer..

It is Canadian law that any speech device (OnStar turn by turn nav speaks to you) which is sold in Canada *must* speak both English AND French. GM apparently didn't have time or budget to support the French language. This doesn't mean they can't add more languages someday.
Merde! Nous nous penchons à reculons à accomodate que le français est nous souffrons constamment pour cela. (We bend over backwards to accomodate the french are we are constantly suffering for it)

So that must mean it's MapQuest which can't provide the directions for downloading in French (I keep meaning to check MapQuest.ca). I wonder exactly how many French speaking Canadians are actually enrolled in OnStar and require the second language?

Thanks for your repsonse Clave Man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
Merde! Nous nous penchons à reculons à accomodate que le français est nous souffrons constamment pour cela. (We bend over backwards to accomodate the french are we are constantly suffering for it)
Canada, eh!

PS. I take that you are Southern ON Anglo and your French seems to be pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
vmtls said:
Canada, eh!

PS. I take that you are Southern ON Anglo and your French seems to be pretty good.
Southern ON Anglo born, raised and schooled in the West (AB) and then returned to ON. I will admit, although I took French in school for a number of years, I used an online translator to write most of that. :angel:

This evening I was able to convert my directions to Metric using the "English Metric Setting" command so I that is set.

No luck with "Store Route Destination" command but of course I had neglected to use "route" in the command - will try again later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
IMHIP2 said:
No luck with "Store Route Destination" command but of course I had neglected to use "route" in the command - will try again later
I'm getting closer - Took me 5 minutes to determine I must use the term "R-OUT" vs "R-UTE" for it to voice recognize - then it told me I didn't have an active r-out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
I'm getting closer - Took me 5 minutes to determine I must use the term "R-OUT" vs "R-UTE" for it to voice recognize - then it told me I didn't have an active r-out.
That's a good one! I remember having a similar experience with an American operator - Zed vs Zee[/color]
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top