EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Car continues to run after key removed

84K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  Angrybullmoose 
#1 ·
Earlier today my enclave continued to run for about 30 seconds after I turned it off and removed the key. After it stopped, I restarted it and shut it off same thing happened. I had only driven about 15 minutes in 30 degree weather. I went to start car about 4 hours later and it was completely dead. I jumped it and it started right away. I drove it home and it did not run on. It sat in my garage for about 2 hours and I thought I would make sure it would start, it did. I again removed the key from the ignition and it continued to run for at least 1 minute. Tried starting it several times and removed key and it continued to run every time. Even though the car did not start previously and seemed like battery was dead the clock never stopped running. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ?? This is a 2008 Enclave.

#2 ·
Replace the vehicle battery. It doesn't seem to be holding a charge. When these vehicles have a low battery, something with the theft deterent system gets messed up and allows it to run. Be glad you were able to remove the key, it can get stuck as well. Try a forum search and you should find more on this.

#4 ·
Engine Running With Key Turned Off

By techeditor on March 1, 2008 8:06 PM

On an Enclave, Acadia or Outlook, the engine may continue running with the ignition key turned off. This can happen if circuit 5985 (the ignition 1 circuit going to the ECM) has 5 volts or more on it when the ignition key is turned off.

Check circuit 5985 at the ECM for voltage (5 volts or more) with the ignition key turned off.
If voltage is found on circuit 5985, remove the fuse for the BCM and the TCM one at a time, and see if the engine turns off. If the engine does not turn off, and there is still 5 volts or more on circuit 5985, check circuit 5985 for a short to voltage concern. If the engine doesturn off when pulling the BCM or TCM fuse, replace the module that caused the engine to turn off with the fuse removed.

Water Intrusion
By techeditor on April 1, 2008 4:00 PM
This information supplements an article in the March 2008 TechLink entitled Engine Running With Key Turned Off, which involves voltage on circuit 5985 with the key turned off. The condition described below can be a cause of this voltage.

The owner of an Acadia, Enclave or Outlook may comment that the engine continues to run after the ignition is turned off, or that the engine will not start. This may be the result of water intruding into the instrument panel (IP) BEC. Before proceeding with other diagnosis and repairs, here are some suggestions.

Water from the right front sunroof drain hose exits the vehicle (fig. 13). If it then re-enters the vehicle through the front of dash sheet metal, it can drip from the right side dash onto the IP BEC.

AÂ Â Water exits through drain hose

BÂ Â Water reenters and drips onto IP BEC from sheet metal

The seam must be properly sealed between the plenum upper and plenum reinforcement. This may be inspected from underhood through the opening in the cowl panel

If there are voids in the bead of sealant, use medium-bodied sealant p/n 12378500 to reseal.

The area to be sealed may be reached through two openings, and the seam must be sealed for its entire length (fig. 15).

AÂ Â Access opening

BÂ Â Access opening

CÂ Â Length of seam sealÂ

TIP:Â Sealant may be applied with the fingertip or with a plastic trim tool.

#5 ·
scuba007 said:
Earlier today my enclave continued to run for about 30 seconds after I turned it off and removed the key. After it stopped, I restarted it and shut it off same thing happened. I had only driven about 15 minutes in 30 degree weather. I went to start car about 4 hours later and it was completely dead. I jumped it and it started right away. I drove it home and it did not run on. It sat in my garage for about 2 hours and I thought I would make sure it would start, it did. I again removed the key from the ignition and it continued to run for at least 1 minute. Tried starting it several times and removed key and it continued to run every time. Even though the car did not start previously and seemed like battery was dead the clock never stopped running. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ?? This is a 2008 Enclave.
scuba007,
Have you had a chance to take your vehicle into your dealer to have this issue looked into? I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

#7 ·
rbarrios said:
I think scuba007 may be a 2 hit wonder....
I'm back haha

Sorry did not post again because thought problem was fixed.

I went to get a new battery at Pep Boys - guy did a check on battery and it checked out as being ok. But we decided since it was almost 5 years old to replace it. Then the car started having an issues in which it didnt seem to be shifting properly. Took it to Buick and it turned out I needed the transmission to be replaced. Brought the car home and kept seeing spots on driveway. Brought back to Buick and they said the water pump needed to be replaced. I just had it replaced 6 months earlier when it broke down while out of town. Buick did reimberse me for this repair. The car has been running fine ..... until today.
Last night while at a stop light the car kept almost dying - the engine kept sputtering.
Today I take the key out and the car continues to run - it now does it every time I turn off the car. The engine alert is on the control panel.
I know its not the battery - its new.

#9 ·
scuba007 said:
I'm back haha

Sorry did not post again because thought problem was fixed.

I went to get a new battery at Pep Boys - guy did a check on battery and it checked out as being ok. But we decided since it was almost 5 years old to replace it. Then the car started having an issues in which it didnt seem to be shifting properly. Took it to Buick and it turned out I needed the transmission to be replaced. Brought the car home and kept seeing spots on driveway. Brought back to Buick and they said the water pump needed to be replaced. I just had it replaced 6 months earlier when it broke down while out of town. Buick did reimberse me for this repair. The car has been running fine ..... until today.
Last night while at a stop light the car kept almost dying - the engine kept sputtering.
Today I take the key out and the car continues to run - it now does it every time I turn off the car. The engine alert is on the control panel.
I know its not the battery - its new.
:facepalm: I don't know what advice to offer here, except to take the car to a different dealer for a better diagnosis and repair, hopefully. :facepalm:

#10 ·
so dropped enclave at dealer on Saturday - they checked it today, of corse had to jump it since battery was dead. I told them its a new battery (2 months old). They did not experience any run on. The only code error they were concerned about was anything added on to the Enclave since we got. Fortunetly we have made no modifications (I wanted auto start - but we nver got it) Everything is the same as when we bought it. They decided to keep it again overnite and see what happens in the mornig. Will let you know if they find something.

#13 ·
scuba007 said:
so dropped enclave at dealer on Saturday - they checked it today, of corse had to jump it since battery was dead. I told them its a new battery (2 months old). They did not experience any run on. The only code error they were concerned about was anything added on to the Enclave since we got. Fortunetly we have made no modifications (I wanted auto start - but we nver got it) Everything is the same as when we bought it. They decided to keep it again overnite and see what happens in the mornig. Will let you know if they find something.

scuba007,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Enclave. Was your dealer able to get this issue diagnosed for you? Please keep me posted and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

#14 ·
Buick Customer Service said:
scuba007,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your Enclave. Was your dealer able to get this issue diagnosed for you? Please keep me posted and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
The dealer was unable to find the problem or replicate the run on, the only thing that occurred same as prior to taking it in was the dead battery issue. I have since picked up the car and been driving it with no further issues. Don't know if was two isolated incidents, at this time its just a waiting game. Will respond here if I have another issue occur. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

#15 ·
scuba007 said:
The dealer was unable to find the problem or replicate the run on, the only thing that occurred same as prior to taking it in was the dead battery issue. I have since picked up the car and been driving it with no further issues. Don't know if was two isolated incidents, at this time its just a waiting game. Will respond here if I have another issue occur. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
I think unfortunately, vehicles are quite complicated these days that it's not as simple as a CPS, cam PS, spark, fuel, etc. So when the dealer can't find the problem, they simply say there isn't any. I would at least plug it in to see if there are any shadow codes, but they may have erased them already if there were. I don't think that a "failure" is an isolated incident, more likely, it's a defect that will resurface.

btw it's amazing, we're all solid red now in Consumer Reports for '11, '12. Kinda lends to those who believe that their reports are not scientific nor valid....

#16 ·
john 070 said:
I think unfortunately, vehicles are quite complicated these days that it's not as simple as a CPS, cam PS, spark, fuel, etc. So when the dealer can't find the problem, they simply say there isn't any. I would at least plug it in to see if there are any shadow codes, but they may have erased them already if there were. I don't think that a "failure" is an isolated incident, more likely, it's a defect that will resurface.

btw it's amazing, we're all solid red now in Consumer Reports for '11, '12. Kinda lends to those who believe that their reports are not scientific nor valid....
The 2011 and 2012 Enclaves get solid red circles in every categories. Cool!

#17 ·
GoldEnclave said:
The 2011 and 2012 Enclaves get solid red circles in every categories. Cool!
Sounds like they only are polling unhappy campers with E's that have BIG issues.

#18 ·
scuba007 said:

scuba007,
Thank you for the update. If you do experience this issue again please let me know so I can look into this further for you. In the meantime, if you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,

#19 ·
cfedor said:
Sounds like they only are polling unhappy campers with E's that have BIG issues.
Either I am misunderstanding the point of your comment or I have forgotten what the solid red circle signifies in CR. I thought that solid red circles represented the best rating for reliability. If so, it would seem that CR is polling mostly happy campers for the 2011s and 2012s. Please help me to clarify what you meant. Thanks.

#20 ·
Another update on my run on issue. It again happened last Friday so I brought it back to the dealer of course it did not do it when I first got there. But, I kept turning on and shutting off the car and it did it !!! Then they tried and it kept doing it. They checked it out and called to say they think they found the problem. They said it was the SDM Module - this is an $800.00 fix. This module is for the air bag system (they claim the voltage from this module was backfeeding the computer) at this point I have no choice but to replace it because otherwise the dealership doesn't find any other problem. Will let you know what happens, won't be ready til after Tuesday.

#35 ·
I will be interested to see how the story plays out. My 2012 enclave has started the same issue where it leaves the air conditioning running and the car after we’ve gotten out. It’s been educational to hear how you’ve been trying to solve this problem I pray for you that this will all work out that what they found in fixing it will solve this problem for you

#21 ·
scuba007 said:
Another update on my run on issue. It again happened last Friday so I brought it back to the dealer of course it did not do it when I first got there. But, I kept turning on and shutting off the car and it did it !!! Then they tried and it kept doing it. They checked it out and called to say they think they found the problem. They said it was the SDM Module - this is an $800.00 fix. This module is for the air bag system (they claim the voltage from this module was backfeeding the computer) at this point I have no choice but to replace it because otherwise the dealership doesn't find any other problem. Will let you know what happens, won't be ready til after Tuesday.
Well, hopefully the new SDM Module won't also backfeed the 5985 circuit, or you'll still have the same issue.

If the SDM Module was faulty, it should have thrown a code.

As you can see, I don't trust most service departments with unknown issues they have to troubleshoot on their own. I'd be getting involved first, and taking readings and measurements in the shop right along side the techs in a supervisory role. I trust me, and if the old SDM Module could have had a diode soldered in between it and circuit 5985 to prevent a measly 5V from hitting it, that's what I would have done; and saved myself $798.50 in the process.

However, with that said, hopefully the repair will work out for you.

. . Falcon

#22 ·
scuba007 said:
:eek:hno: Stupid computers. I don't think vehicles are getting better, seems to me I have not heard of this issue since the 70's and 80's where a vehicle might run on for a few seconds because of bad tuning, timing, or whatever the reason. But for a vehicle to keep running because of an $800 computer part failure, that's hard to swallow.

#23 ·
Patrick181 said:
Curious as to what the symptoms were for this?
was just reading thru thread and saw your question. The symptoms i had is while driviving you could just feel that it was not shifting at appropriate speed changes. And the RPM kept staying at around 2 or 3 I beleive. When the car did shift the RPMS remained the same instead of dropping down. I hope I am explaining it right.

#24 ·
scuba007 said:

scuba007
Thank you for the update. I am happy to hear that your dealer was able to identify the problem for you. Please continue to keep me posted. If you would like my assistance or have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy GM Customer Service

#25 ·
I know this original post is several years old .. BUT I just experienced the same problem with my enclave. I cant get the car to shut off and have removed the key and still running for over 30 sec. before shutting completely off. Its at the dealership now getting checked out , but they have never seen this problem before.. Iam very worried this is going to be very costly. Is this a problem from the manufacturer?
Amanda