EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic of car seats, etc..came up in a few topics. I figure I would ask for those with kids their opinion on where you put your car seats and, etc..

I have 2 children in car seats. 2 are older..my son will be 10 and my daughter 13.
My dilema is where to put the car seats. If I put them in the buckets, I will have to listen to the other two saying they don't want to be in the third row. Also, the access to the third row won't be happening since I assume the seats cant flip up if the chairs are there.

We went to Florida over the summer and rented a minivan. My 3 year old and 1 year old were in their car seats in the back row and loved it. I will miss leaning back from the front seat to give them something, etc...

Some people like to have their car seat in the middle seat for safety..but, with 2 car seats, it will be impossible with the 7 passenger.

Just wanted to ask those with kids their opinions or experiences.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow...That is kind of a dilema...I wouldn't worry about safety as much, as the crunch zone in the back is huge and the side curtain airbags make all the seats pretty safe...if the older kids sit in the second row, would they be willing to buckle in the little ones? The flip side is that the big kids would probably spend less time in the vehicle as you are mainly picking them up and dropping them off, whereas the little ones are with you all day??

How about this, on long trips the big kids get the captain's and help out with the munchkins, and on short trips the little ones are in the captain's as they are probably staying in the car longer?? It would require ocassional car seat moving, but may be a good compromise?

Good luck - and let me know what you decide -- right now, my 4 & 5 year old ONLY want to ride in the 3rd row!!

Lisa

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Hmmm.... that's a tough one because of the age differences. I'd probably put the younger 2 in the second row because they probably spend more time with you while the older kids are at school. If they were in the 3rd row you'd have a tough time strapping them in. It would be fine if the older 2 were there to help but not when you're on your own.

On the other hand, it's convenient to plug in headphones for the 2nd row passengers to listen to a CD or radio disney. The older two would probably prefer the 2nd row because of this. So, wireless headphones and little kids in the 2nd row. That's what I think I'd do. :cheers:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lisaoleary said:
Wow...That is kind of a dilema...I wouldn't worry about safety as much, as the crunch zone in the back is huge and the side curtain airbags make all the seats pretty safe...if the older kids sit in the second row, would they be willing to buckle in the little ones? The flip side is that the big kids would probably spend less time in the vehicle as you are mainly picking them up and dropping them off, whereas the little ones are with you all day??

How about this, on long trips the big kids get the captain's and help out with the munchkins, and on short trips the little ones are in the captain's as they are probably staying in the car longer?? It would require ocassional car seat moving, but may be a good compromise?

Good luck - and let me know what you decide -- right now, my 4 & 5 year old ONLY want to ride in the 3rd row!!

Lisa
Thanks for your input Lisa!
Right now, I do get help from my 13 year old. If she wants to get in the car and off to our destination..she knows that she needs to help out.
My son is a lump on a log! ;) LOL!!!

Do you have your children in boosters still? Do they buckle themselves in? My 3 year old wants to be in the third row too. But, I will do anything for a pleasant driving experience!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kids in the second row buckets & older kids can get to the 3rd row by going between the second row buckets. There is more room between the second row buckets to walk through than my previous Olds mini-van and it worked just fine. Any more kids though & you've got a problem!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The older two do take turns in the front seat as it is..one gets the way to school the other gets the way home..(although there are many arguements who had it last, etc..)

I'm not sure if I want to be buckling and unbuckling car seats. Unless I put one car seat in the 2nd row and then one of the older has the front seat and one in the other bucket and the 3 year old can have happiness in the third row. It should be interesting.

We do plan to use the Enclave when we go out as a family. Therefore, babies go in third row. and the big kids can help out in the 2nd row.

The next dilema is kids and headphones. We got the DVD Entertainment Package. I want to listen to my 80's channel on XM (husband has XM in his truck and love the 80's--showing my age!!LOL!!) and the kids will want to watch the DVD. From what I heard, there are 2 wireless headphones. Right? Can a 3 year old put these headphones on? Do I need to invest in 2 more? Or, are there jacks where a set of headphones that are smaller like the ones with an ipod able to plug in? My 3 year old can use those for sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
4kids -- LOL on your son -- I can't tell you how funny it is to hear that -- my son who is 5 (almost 6) is useless when it comes to helping, but my almost 4 year old girl will volunteer to help and do ANYTHING that you ask -- WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????

My son can buckle himself in, and I then do a "check" just to make sure either by watching him pull on it, or checking it myself, my daughter still needs me to buckle her in to her booster. I am amazed at how well these seat belts fit my kids in their boosters -- they fall right at the shoulder where they are supposed to, and I don't even need a belt positioner (the 3rd row are actually the best fit).

A thought on the sound jacks -- We have a splitter for our portable dvd player that we use in the car and on planes, if you got two splitters, you would have 4 jacks..Just a thought...I read in the manual that wireless headphones are an option on the car - if you have that option, you would just need 4 wireless headsets....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lisaoleary said:
4kids -- LOL on your son -- I can't tell you how funny it is to hear that -- my son who is 5 (almost 6) is useless when it comes to helping, but my almost 4 year old girl will volunteer to help and do ANYTHING that you ask -- WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????

My son can buckle himself in, and I then do a "check" just to make sure either by watching him pull on it, or checking it myself, my daughter still needs me to buckle her in to her booster. I am amazed at how well these seat belts fit my kids in their boosters -- they fall right at the shoulder where they are supposed to, and I don't even need a belt positioner (the 3rd row are actually the best fit).

A thought on the sound jacks -- We have a splitter for our portable dvd player that we use in the car and on planes, if you got two splitters, you would have 4 jacks..Just a thought...I read in the manual that wireless headphones are an option on the car - if you have that option, you would just need 4 wireless headsets....
Lisa, are your kids in one of the boosters that is just a base or the whole booster that has the tall back? I'm assuming the short since you mentioned that the belt fits their shoulder. Can they easily see out the windows? My smaller kids love to be in my husband's avalanche because they are up high in their carseats and can so so much!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tough one but I definately would want to be able to hand the little ones a Tim Bit (popular little Canadian donut) or juice etc. The older kids just need to know if they want to ride in the captain's chairs, they have to know how to properly move the boosters to the 3rd row (oh yah, and actually do it). Gets them used to earning the little things in life.

·
Registered
154 Posts
backless booster for my son and my daughter is almost to the backless booster (has a few more days to go to hit the 4 year mark, but hits the weight requirement)...she does, however, like the backless better and often hops into my son's seat (and the belt hits her shoulder perfectly)...they can see everything and love driving in this car even more than i do (well, if that is possible!)...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Younger kids in the middle. Older ones can still access the rear via the walkthrough between captain's chairs... that works so long as both chairs don't have rear facing baby seats in them. Forward facing or boosters still leave plenty of room to get back there.

R

·
0 Posts
well i put my little brother and sister's booster seats in the third row, they are 6 and 7, and use the regular seat belt, but the can do it them selves and it frees up the rest of teh car to just jump in, i tried them in the captains of my Yukon but it didn't work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have my (almost) 1 year old in rear facing and 4 year old in booster in the captains chairs. 7 year old sits in the middle of the back row. We haven't put the booster in the car for him... the seat belt fits him with just right using the seat belt adjuster.

How long do you guys keep the kids in a booster?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
hey 4kids,

how bout 1 carseat in 2nd row and one in 3rd row... this way each older child could help w/on little one and also be able to have control over the radio station when it is his/her turn to ride in 2nd row. this way you can put the one carseat in 3rd row in middle which would make it easier for you to fasten that one in when you are alone cause you could just kneel in middle of 2nd row captains chairs to fasten that child.

R

·
0 Posts
BoyMom said:
I have my (almost) 1 year old in rear facing and 4 year old in booster in the captains chairs. 7 year old sits in the middle of the back row. We haven't put the booster in the car for him... the seat belt fits him with just right using the seat belt adjuster.

well they dont weigh enough to be out of a seat, we feed them all the time and they fead them selves when ever they want but, he is only 43 pounds, and she is only 36 pounds.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your suggestions. Their all great!
We plan on buying a new car seat for the 3 year old...no dirty car seats in the Enclave!! :eek:hno:
I think we will try the 3 year old in the 3rd row and the "baby" :binky: in the second row. Unless the 3 year old wants her baby sister next to her. Ya never know! :binky:
I need my Enclave to see how it works!! A few more weeks!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
BoyMom said:
My 5 year old is still in a backless booster but she's 3'11" already. I know she's supposed to stay there until she's what 17? but pretty soon she'll be taller than me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
the law states that children should be in a carseat/booster seat until they are 7 years and 70lbs... remember it is not and or they must meet both requirements inorder to move straight to reg seats and seat belts.

example: 7 years and 60 pounds = must ride in carseat
6 years and 70 pounds = must ride in carseat

7 years and 70 pounds = no longer required by law to ride in carseat...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding age of children in car seats...I got this off the Massachusetts RMV
Is every state different?

Massachusetts Child Passenger Safety Law

Effective April 9, 1997, the following passenger law applies for all infants and small children. Those who are:

Younger than age five and weigh under 40 pounds must ride in a federally approved car seat;

Younger than age five and weigh over 40 pounds must ride in a booster seat;

Older than age five and weigh under 40 pounds must ride in a booster seat; and

Older than age five and weigh over 40 pounds must wear a properly adjusted seat belt.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I just checked Louisiana law -

Louisiana state law requires babies under one year of age and under 20 pounds to ride in a rear-facing car seat. Babies at least one year and 20 pounds up to at least 40 pounds must ride in a forward-facing car seat. Children ages four to six who weigh at least 40 pounds up to at least 60 pounds must ride in a belt-positioning booster car seat. Children over age 6 and 60 pounds, if they are not riding in a car seat, must use a lap/shoulder seat belt.

This doesn't seem like a state specific issue but there ya go.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts