EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I believe this is only my second post as I mostly come here to get info and do research. It's been pretty helpful. Now, I have an issue that I'd like to get some clarity on so here goes.

A few weeks ago, I brought my 2014 Quicksilver Premium in for its regular maintenance and while it was there I asked them to check why I had a couple of mornings, where the whole car started shudder. What they came up with was that it was a faulty plug and replaced it. About a week later, I had an on-going issue with the head unit rear its ugly head again -- but that's not the problem I want to discuss in this post. I made an appointment, again, and I brought it in this morning.

So here's the issue: since I made the appointment, my average mileage has dropped from 14.3MPG to 11.3MPG. This is while driving the same routes same basic traffic patterns. I have been experiencing a milder shudder during idle but mostly only noticeable soon after startup. Haven't had the shudder while driving down the highway as per the previous issue.The first thing I think of is that the replaced plug only fixed the problem partially. When I met with the advisor this morning, he told me that this is a common problem with the Lambda platform vehicles when driving in our area -- NYC area. The problem is, they are proposing that it will need fuel line work of some sort that could cost $275-$300, and not covered by warranty.

This is where I feel like I need some feedback, hopefully from Buick Customer Service, to tell me why if I am following all scheduled maintenance and having it done by the dealer service department I should be the one responsible for this type of work? If the vehicle can't handle the NYC area driving, and this is a "known issue," then why are they selling these vehicles to NYC-area residents? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
you dont say how many miles on your vehicle.

But- I would start by putting in some TECHRON Concentrate Fuel System cleaner..

I have a suspicion that you may have some misfires due to carbon buildup in and around one of the cylinders.

Once you get thru the initial bottle...
try to buy it when its on sale--- usually buy one get one free.... thats when I stock up.

Even if the Techron does not get to the top of the valve---
it should get to the cylinder and the area where the Valve meets the cylinder--- and clean that up.
(sticky valves)

Will also clean your fuel injectors.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Is there something going on with newer cars? The cars do have a lot of issues, but I don't remember seeing a lot of some of these on the older ones....

It's just me but I don't think some sort of product in a bottle does away with major issues. I've seen people claim to fix power steering issues with Lucas Oil blah blah blah, and I sometimes wish it were that simple....

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Josey92 said:
this is a common problem with the Lambda platform vehicles when driving in our area -- NYC area. The problem is, they are proposing that it will need fuel line work of some sort that could cost $275-$300, and not covered by warranty.
Just my opinion, I think the above is a bold-faced lie. WTH does NYC have to do with anything, except that there are a lot of unscrupulous dealerships in the area? :banghead:

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
in an old car---
the car ran-- timing could be off a bit, thermostat could be causing engine to run a bit too hot, or too cold, yet the engine still ran-- (how about the folks who removed the thermostat completely),
carb could be running rich etc--- but it 'ran'..............

nowadays--- with computers looking at everything and measuring---- even 1 misfire will get logged....

·
Registered
156 Posts
These DI motors builds a lot of carbon. Rethink the kind and level of fuel you are using. I know a lot of people will use 87, but the Manuel states 87 or higher. For what these car cost I but the higher octane in my DI cars.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Fcar53 said:
These DI motors builds a lot of carbon. Rethink the kind and level of fuel you are using. I know a lot of people will use 87, but the Manuel states 87 or higher. For what these car cost I but the higher octane in my DI cars.
No, that's not what octane measures. Anything> 87 goes out the tailpipe with no benefit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
john 070 said:
No, that's not what octane measures. Anything> 87 goes out the tailpipe with no benefit.
You can believe what you want and use what you want. But the higher octane is beneficial for the DI motors and carbon build up.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
the way I understand it...

on the LLT 3.6 which we have on the lamndas- higher octane- will do pretty much nothing- unless pinging is detected... in which case its beneficial to use the higher octane---

If this were the 3.6 (LFX I believe) used in the Equinox/Camaro---- its a different story.
On those 3.6's it can detect the octane- and slowly modify timing tables that the engine uses
Its not immediate-- but it will eventually make a modification to the way the engine runs.

Folks with 3.6 Equinox/Terrains have been experimenting with using higher octane- to see what the result is.
One member reports- that it takes much longer for his tailpipes to become dirty with soot. (factory stainless tips).

I dont recall if they report higher MPG.

Though I believe they report a peppier engine.

As for carbon buildup- that I believe would be related to the fuel quality and whether it is tier 1 etc...

·
Registered
156 Posts
imo and the opinion of others is that the higher octane is a much cleaner burning fuel. For a few dollars more a tank full i am willing to use it. The DI motors are a relatively new animal that is not imo completely understood. It may make a difference, it may not. With the investment made in these vehicles i will side with what i think is best for my situation.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Fcar53 said:
...the higher octane is beneficial for the DI motors and carbon build up.[/color]
So sorry, but the 93/91/89/87 measures predetonation, not "goodness" or cleanliness. Please research before making these odd statements.

Also, DI was invented in 1902, so it is not new, as some have stated.

edit: I made this statement on another thread, and was referring to this one.

non-scientific, invalid, and unreliable stuff that is repeated and perpetuates exponentially on the web

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
john 070, it is my impression that some gasoline brands still mix more engine cleaning additives to their highest octane fuels. This was common practice years ago, and might still be a factor today; I'm not sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The link posted above states read the manual for what the manufacturer calls for octane. It states 87 or higher!!! I will not take what a consumer report tells us as the bible. And as for the additives, yes they do add more to the higher octane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, should have explained a little further about this diagnosis. They meant that all the stop-and-go traffic contributes to the excess wear-and-tear which could lead to carbon build-up.

FYI, haven't heard back yet from the service advisor about what the issue is.

john 070 said:
Just my opinion, I think the above is a bold-faced lie. WTH does NYC have to do with anything, except that there are a lot of unscrupulous dealerships in the area? :banghead:

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
john 070, it is my impression that some gasoline brands still mix more engine cleaning additives to their highest octane fuels. This was common practice years ago, and might still be a factor today; I'm not sure.
I know BP and Shell do....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update on this. They did the service at no cost. I have had continual issues with my 2014 and I think they did it as a good-faith gesture.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Josey92 said:
Just a quick update on this. They did the service at no cost. I have had continual issues with my 2014 and I think they did it as a good-faith gesture.
Very nice! Good luck with the results. :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts