EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the size of the Enclave, I am wondering if there is any problem going through the typical carwash. Should the rooftop antenna be removed? (I know that the side mirrors should be folded in.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
I only use the touchless automatic ones and don't need to do anything. I think it is standard practice for the others to push in your mirrors and they have a sign saying the aren't responsible for antennas so it would most likely be your call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
There have been discussions recently that the air blowers at the end will "blow through" the sunroof seals. The consensus is that this doesn't hurt the sunroof (but might muss up your hair). Still unsettling..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Clave Man said:
There have been discussions recently that the air blowers at the end will "blow through" the sunroof seals. The consensus is that this doesn't hurt the sunroof (but might muss up your hair). Still unsettling..
I never responded to that post due to the author, however, I will say I have had my Enclave through the automatic wash no fewer than 7 times since I have owned it (mid Sept.). I have never had the blower do anything to my sunroof. The last time I even held my hands up to the back of it and felt nothing. I don't know if this was really happening with the previous poster or not. It does not in mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
This is probably sacrilegious to most car buffs, but I haven't hand washed any of my cars in probably 20 years. I've never had a problem with my Enclave or any other vehicle. The side mirrors have gone through with and without being folded in, no problem. The same with the antenna. As to those who say automatic car washes destroy the finish on a car, I'll gladly post a picture of my '97 Grand Prix, which glistens like the day it was new. But, of course, to each his own. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
jacko said:
This is probably sacrilegious to most car buffs, but I haven't hand washed any of my cars in probably 20 years. I've never had a problem with my Enclave or any other vehicle. The side mirrors have gone through with and without being folded in, no problem. The same with the antenna. As to those who say automatic car washes destroy the finish on a car, I'll gladly post a picture of my '97 Grand Prix, which glistens like the day it was new. But, of course, to each his own. ;D
:ditto:

About the only caveat I would add is that I have never had an issue with touchless automatic car washes. I would never take a vehicle through one that uses the rotating brushes if they even exist anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
jacko said:
This is probably sacrilegious to most car buffs, but I haven't hand washed any of my cars in probably 20 years. I've never had a problem with my Enclave or any other vehicle. The side mirrors have gone through with and without being folded in, no problem. The same with the antenna. As to those who say automatic car washes destroy the finish on a car, I'll gladly post a picture of my '97 Grand Prix, which glistens like the day it was new. But, of course, to each his own. ;D
I'm with Jacko. I just don't have the time (or energy!) anymore to hand wash, and besides with the size of the 'Clave, I would need a step ladder. So it would be even more difficult. I've taken Halle through a drive through car wash twice now, and inspected her head to tail each time. She looks great. I also took my previous vehicle through drive through car washes (with the brushes, etc), since I purchased it brand new for 8 years, including winter driving, etc., and it still has a great paint finish. The only damage over the years wasn't from the car washes, but from little rock chips from oncoming vehicles' flying debris.

I am interested, however, in how good those touchless car washes clean. How do they work? If they do a good job I will probably switch, since they would obviously be even less risky than the touch washes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I'm with Jacko. I just don't have the time (or energy!) anymore to hand wash, and besides with the size of the 'Clave, I would need a step ladder. So it would be even more difficult. I've taken Halle through a drive through car wash twice now, and inspected her head to tail each time. She looks great. I also took my previous vehicle through drive through car washes (with the brushes, etc), since I purchased it brand new for 8 years, including winter driving, etc., and it still has a great paint finish. The only damage over the years wasn't from the car washes, but from little rock chips from oncoming vehicles' flying debris.

I am interested, however, in how good those touchless car washes clean. How do they work? If they do a good job I will probably switch, since they would obviously be even less risky than the touch washes.
The touchless car washes don't do as good a job as the ones with brushes but most of the full service systems around here have someone hi-pressure spray the car and then hand prewash any visibly dirty areas. The old brush type washes put scratches in your clearcoat so I won't use them at all.

I prefer to do my own washes since I'm just as picky with the interior/exterior as I am with engine/drivetrain maintenance. They just don't do as good a job as when I do it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
BadAV said:
then hand prewash any visibly dirty areas.
I agree hand washing yourself is the best. But when these people "hand prewash" at the touchless car washes, what do they use? I've seen those where they have kids standing there with brushes on poles "prewashing" the vehicles before they go through, or rags that are being used over and over. Don't know if that's very good for the finish, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Never had issues with sunroof in carwash. I recommend that you Power fold the mirrors, if you have that option, then quickly power them out again as you exit, cause the workers will do it for you and this puts a strain on the motor/gears. They do allow for this however, (say someone walking hits it in a lot....) but I hate the noise it makes and it can't be good to do it once a week? I wash ours that often or more......I'm in love ;D

Agree with the sage advise above.............the harsh large, spinning brushes can leave scratches over time. Go to the "touchless" where minimal contact is rendered. But nothing beats your own hand wash, as BadAV says!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
bsox said:
I never responded to that post due to the author, however, I will say I have had my Enclave through the automatic wash no fewer than 7 times since I have owned it (mid Sept.). I have never had the blower do anything to my sunroof. The last time I even held my hands up to the back of it and felt nothing. I don't know if this was really happening with the previous poster or not. It does not in mine.
Well I was one of the posters in that thread and I will confirm it does in fact occure. Maybe not on all vehicles or in all car washes, but it has happened to me both times I took it through my local car wash. The sound it makes is very similar to the sound of air you hear rushing in when you initially open up the sunroof, like the second it opens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
jerlem1 said:
Well I was one of the posters in that thread and I will confirm it does in fact occure. Maybe not on all vehicles or in all car washes, but it has happened to me both times I took it through my local car wash. The sound it makes is very similar to the sound of air you hear rushing in when you initially open up the sunroof, like the second it opens.
OK, Thanks for the confirmation. IMHO the touchless washes never get my car clean like if I wash it myself, but it does get the major junk off. I have hard water at my house so it leaves a really dull look when I am done...I use the semi automatic if I can where I actually do the spraying and can use the brush, but I always run my hand through the brush to make sure there is nothing in it prior to wiping it on the car. The bristles are quite soft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
If you have hard water an easy way to get the finish shiny after you wash is to use a quick detailer spray and to wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
BadAV said:
If you have hard water an easy way to get the finish shiny after you wash is to use a quick detailer spray and to wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
Thanks for the info...I will try it (come spring)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
bsox said:
Thanks for the info...I will try it (come spring)!

The Mr Clean AutoDry system also works very well IMHO. I was very pleased with the results when I used it (before it got cold).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
zman said:
The Mr Clean AutoDry system also works very well IMHO. I was very pleased with the results when I used it (before it got cold).
We have one of those and it was great when we first got it. Since we got the Enclave I have used it a few times and I have been getting terrible water spots. I dont know what is different, we put fresh filters in it and it still occures. Maybe it has been dropped a few too many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I always took my Chrysler Town and Country through an automatic carwash, the kind where you stay in the car. :( There is some sort of hard water streak down the middle of the front and rear window from some chemical they use, so I am hesitant to take the Enclave through.

My Enclave baby got wet from rain (It never rains in So. California) Fri nite and I toweled her off in the garage. It didn't take that long and she was all pristine again.

Don't you all think the detergents and cleaners they use at the car wash wear down the finish? I wonder about that.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top