EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Drivearound,
Do you know what the code is?
That may help in narrowing down the problem.
I think Autozones will read the code for you. Not sure if there is a cost. I have my own.
Rick

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
when the CEL first came on, the code was 420. I never got it checked again when the CEL came back on a couple of times since then.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Drivearound,
Do you have an exhaust leak as that might be the root cause to the code you are getting.
Hope it helps,
Rick

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
DriveAround said:
How can I tell if I have an exhaust leak?
My Subaru Tribeca has an exhaust leak. The exhaust definitely sounds a bit louder than normal, which I suppose is a common sign of a leak.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A P0420 many times is an indication that an O2 sensor is going bad, you have an exhaust leak (most typically ahead of the O2 sensors), you have a stuck (leaking) fuel injector, the engine is misfiring (but in my experience this is more likely to show up as a P040X code where the X is the cylinder number that is misfiring), or the catalytic converter is going bad. An exhaust leak would be the first thing to check, then check for bad O2 sensors or damaged wiring (you will have to scan the sensors when the vehicle is fully warmed up and in closed loop mode). How many miles do you have on the Enclave and what year is it? It doesn't appear you have your profile filled out so I can't tell.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dealer fixed my P0420 with a new cat and oxy sensor while I was still under warranty. Had timing chain issue and misfire so not super suprised it went south so early.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
BadAV said:
A P0420 many times is an indication that an O2 sensor is going bad, you have an exhaust leak (most typically ahead of the O2 sensors), you have a stuck (leaking) fuel injector, the engine is misfiring (but in my experience this is more likely to show up as a P040X code where the X is the cylinder number that is misfiring), or the catalytic converter is going bad. An exhaust leak would be the first thing to check, then check for bad O2 sensors or damaged wiring (you will have to scan the sensors when the vehicle is fully warmed up and in closed loop mode). How many miles do you have on the Enclave and what year is it? It doesn't appear you have your profile filled out so I can't tell.
the guys at the dealer immediately said i would need to replace my cat converter on the firewall side (I think firewall). no mention of checking the other things first.

I have around 108 700km on it. It is a 2009.

thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
the CEL hasn't come on since i last posted about it. Is this something I should not worry about now?

What could cause the 420 code, then disappear on its own??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
DriveAround said:
the CEL hasn't come on since i last posted about it. Is this something I should not worry about now?

What could cause the 420 code, then disappear on its own??

Thanks!
You could have had a sticking fuel injector that unstuck itself or some other temporary glitch that caused the code to be thrown. You may not be reaching the threshold that causes the code to be set - some OBDII checks take two failures to throw a code. I would just drive it and wouldn't worry about it until the code comes back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DriveAround said:
Hi,

Well, I have yet another issue with my 2009 Enclave. It's throwing a code for the Bank 1 catalytic converter (code 420). Was quoted roughly $1000 CND for parts, labour and taxes. The part itself is around $575.

I have around 103600 km on the vehicle, should the cat converter be failing already? I did have coil/misfiring issues earlier this year, and was told (by the dealer) I couldn't damage the car further (took a few days for the parts). Got that fixed. Could that have contributed to this issue? Could I cause further damage by not repairing right away?

Even though it's fun to drive, I would now never recommend an Enclave to anyone. I bought the Enclave in Jan of this year, and I've had nothing but problems with it. Must have spent close to $4000 on it for repairs. I am also turned off by GM, won't buy another GM vehicle. I owned a Cavalier for 14 yrs before the Enclave.

Does anyone know where I could buy a cat converter cheaper? The dealership looked up warranties for my vehicle, and the cat converter was covered, but that expired in July of this year.

What a headache this Enclave has been! :angryfire:
I feel your pain. We bought our 09' two years ago and have spent $4000 is repairs. Just got it back Friday after getting the timing chain replaced. Today the AC actuator was replaced fortunately at no charge but now the check engine light is on again and the cat converter has thrown a code. I got the same quote as you. $1000. I said no thank and we've decided that the best place for it is the trading block. Sorry GM but we might give the Toyota Highlander a try.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
silvervettes said:
Any update?
came on about a week ago for almost a full week. First time on in a long while.

Went off, then came back on later in the day for about 24 hrs. now it's off.

I will get it checked if it comes on again for a period of time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update

I know it's been a while to drive with the CEL on, but the dealer in the summer said I couldn't do more damage.

the CEL over the past yr would come on for a few days, then disappear for a few days. Over this past weekend, while at highway speeds, I tried to acdcelerate to pass. the CEL started to flash and the car was rough, as if misfiring. I let up on the gas and the flashing stopped. happened 2 or 3 times on way home.

Yesterday and today, it was not comfortable to drive on the highway, so took surface streets. gets rough around 90km/hr.

Took it to the dealer again and the 420 code was thrown. was told it's my cat. i mentioned that i read the issue could be the O2 sensor or ignition coil (my friend sugg the ignition coil, since that fixed his car with similar symptoms). Was told no. The guy said that what I describe is a misfire, but he doesn't see that code. So he cleared it because he said he wants to see that code. Told me to bring it in once the CEL is flashing. I said isn't that a dangerous condition, like pull over and stop driving. He said, 'I know people say that, but it isn't that bad'.

Is it wrong to suggest to me to only bring it in once the CEL is always flashing??? He said bring it in right away, no appointment. Please tell me if this sounds fishy.

I asked about any warranties, he said the cat converter warranty expires at 130 000km. well, when I brought it in in the summer I was told the warranty for the cat ran out in July (missed by a few days). Now I am at 144 000km, so I can't have it covered, if it is the cat.

The whole thing sounds off to me. Can anyone offer an opinion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain. We bought our 09' two years ago and have spent $4000 is repairs. Just got it back Friday after getting the timing chain replaced. Today the AC actuator was replaced fortunately at no charge but now the check engine light is on again and the cat converter has thrown a code. I got the same quote as you. $1000. I said no thank and we've decided that the best place for it is the trading block. Sorry GM but we might give the Toyota Highlander a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a problem the same thing with our 2009 Buick Enclave we have been put so much money on it just to fix ,we spend $22,000 for over 1 and half year. first, the converters and then after one year we replaced the engine and few weeks later the AC is not working and we have to take it to the shop and then later on they said the converters need to replace?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts