EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard when Thule (or Yakima) will start selling bars for the Enclave?

Does anyone have any experience carrying kayaks or top-boxes on the Buick bars?

We need to haul two kayaks from New Hampshire to Lake Wallenpaupack, PA (yes the one in 'The Office' Winter outing episode) on a regular basis

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the Buick cross bars already installed and I have a Thule long box. I have not used it yet (on the Buick), but the cross bars on my Odyssey are very similar to the Buick's. I have used the Thule box on the Honda and it fit very well and worked great. Don't know if this helps you or not, but that is my experience so far. Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
This weekend I went ahead and installed my Thule box (forget the model but it's the really long and silver one) up on top of my Enclave with the factory installed cross-bars. I didn't put anything in the box so I can't say how it will perform under load. However, the box did fit the cross-bars nice and snug and there didn't appear to be any problems with length. I kept the box about 6 inches from the antenna in the back and the nose was pretty much right up to the front windshield. Sorry I didn't take any pictures...just didn't think of it.

After installation I took a test drive and cruised on a local highway at about 60 mph. It seemed just fine. My only concern really is that it's a big box and with the 200 lb limit of the factory rack I may not be able to use all the space in there. We'll see.

I will say the Buick rack looks a whole lot nicer than the Thule cross-bars but the Thule cross-bars I have are a lot longer than the Buick which allowed me to have two bikes up there in addition to the box. No way that is going to happen now because of the way the Buick bars work inside the rails and don't hang over. Again, they look a lot nicer but are less functional. Given the choice, I guess I would go with increased functionality over the looks for the few times I need to put stuff up on top. For now I'll probably look for a hitch-mount option for the bikes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've run hundreds of miles with the Thule 16 cu ft box and factory bars and it is a complete non issue. The box was loaded fully with camping gear and it was absolutely undetectable from the inside. Plenty of 80 mph and above speeds, and I don't recall hearing any wind noise either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have two depending on what I have to carry in addition to the box. An Atlantis 1600 and an Evolution 1200. The latter is a longer, thinner box that allows sharing the roof rack with other items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kayaks?

Hello,
I'm checking to see if anyone has had experience transporting a kayak. I've seen a few posts about mounting storage boxes to the factory cross racks, but none on kayaks. I have a Thule Slipstream and want to know if this will work on the factory racks. What I'm worried about is if there is enough clearance between the cross rack and the roof to attach the Thule clamps. Is there any flex in the cross racks or are they pretty stiff? Also, will the antenna unscrew if this gets in the way of the kayak?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: Kayaks?

Cross bars are solid. You don't want flex in a cross bar but if you put too much weight on them, I'm sure they'll "flex" :happy:. And armywife is correct in the antenna simply unscrews and pops off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok...so I am new to this...just got my enclave in August...I kept looking at everything else but always found myself back at teh enclave...now here's my question and I know it's been answered and it can be done...order the cross bars...enstall them...order a cargo box...but I would like to see some pictures of what the box actually looks like ontop of the vehicle...if anyone has them would you mind sharing...thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have two sets of the Thule "J" bars which bolted directly to the stock cross rails. Carry's my kayaks just fine - I have a 17" Ocean Kayak (50lbs) and 12" river runner (37 LBS). I added a trailer hitch cargo carrier to make up for losing the roof for cargo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts