EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow Owners :thumb:

I've been searching the forums, but haven't come to any conclusive answer;
rearding how to change or remove the stock/factory speed limit.
Here in Canada (and therefore KM/hr) it's 174km/h, the same as it is in the US.

Is there a tuner? or has anyone found a method for tuning this variable ???

Thanks in Advance. I really want positive/constructive answers, not the negative assumptions and chirps.. :angel:

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Ive read of it done on other GM cars.
But have not seen anyone have it done.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You can do it with tuning software. I know you can tune the 3.6 L with HP Tuners because I checked into it (and that's what I use to tune my Avalanche). As far as I know, there aren't any handheld tuners.

There were some threads here some time back about a tuner in Michigan that would do tunes on the Enclave.

·
Registered
349 Posts
BadAV said:
You can do it with tuning software. I know you can tune the 3.6 L with HP Tuners because I checked into it (and that's what I use to tune my Avalanche). As far as I know, there aren't any handheld tuners.

There were some threads here some time back about a tuner in Michigan that would do tunes on the Enclave.
+1 Both EFILive and HPTuners would work. I have used EFILive on my 08 Yukon Denali and I know it also works on our Enclave. It is an expensive option if all you want to do is bump the speed limiter. They are both great tuning tools however. Not sure if a handheld tuner would offer that option for less.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Lets see, 174km/h is about 108 mph. Fast enough?

Can the tires, suspension, brakes, etc... handle these speeds? After all the E is a great crossover/SUV/family car, it's not a Ferrari.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rpasetto said:
Lets see, 174km/h is about 108 mph. Fast enough?

Can the tires, suspension, brakes, etc... handle these speeds? After all the E is a great crossover/SUV/family car, it's not a Ferrari.
With all due respect for the OP's request to refrain from any negative comments, I was wondering this, too. Is the Enclave safe to be driven over that limited speed, and where could a car be drive that fast anyway? :shrug:

·
Registered
349 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
With all due respect for the OP's request to refrain from any negative comments, I was wondering this, too. Is the Enclave safe to be driven over that limited speed, and where could a car be drive that fast anyway? :shrug:
I always maxed at the tire's speed rating. Anything above that is playing with fire IMO.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
cruiser68 said:
I always maxed at the tire's speed rating. Anything above that is playing with fire IMO.
That is typically the limiting factor for GM when they set a speed limiter for a given vehicle. My 02 Avalanche was delivered with tires that were rated at 98 mph so that's where the limiter was set. I'm now running V-speed rated tires so that's where my limiter has been set, not that I have gone that fast in it.

I'm not concerned about safely running 150 mph in the Avalanche, which I believe it would do, but I AM concerned about stopping a 6000 lb truck from that speed that has marginal brakes on it from the factory. I put 20" wheels on the truck about 7 years ago and am still driving on the original brakes/pads. Just going to the 20" wheels made me want to seriously upgrade the brakes but I've been too cheap to do it until I need new pads.

Sorry for the partial thread-jack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of places in Texas!! Speed Limiters actually can get you killed and in certain circumstances I will hold GM responsible for the deaths!! In Texas a guy and his wife were going down the LONG stretch of flat highway in west Texas , speed limit is 80mph and he comes up on a 18 wheeler with 3 cars behind it doing 65. He trails along behind them for about 4 miles and no one is passing the 18 wheeler. Finally he says to his wife, "I'm passing this idiot because I have a long straight away ahead and no cars coming in site", so he punches his 2017 Enclave and it responds well as he starts passing the 3 cars,,he is about even with the 18 wheelers trailer when all of a sudden his Enclave stops pulling ahead and is stumbling with a message on the dash reading maximum speed reached (108)!!!! even with the stumbeling car he would have been okay had a vehicle not came up on the horizon headed straight for him,, he is going oh crap this car is powerless and we have no where to go on this 2 lane rd!!! Luckily the 18 wheeler saw the issue and slowed enough for him to pass and get over just in the nick of time!! So in answer to all this BS,,Speed LIMITERS kill and should never be put on a vehicle without the consent of the owner of the vehicle!! They do not protect the engine as the engine reaches max RPM all the time when accelerating heavy,, this item just makes vehicles DEATH TRAPS by the manufacture!! I guarantee you ,, it comes before my court ,,the Manufacture will pay dearly for those lives that you can't bring back!!!! Hope GM reads this and changes there ignorance before it is too late!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Fellow Owners :thumb:

I've been searching the forums, but haven't come to any conclusive answer;
rearding how to change or remove the stock/factory speed limit.
Here in Canada (and therefore KM/hr) it's 174km/h, the same as it is in the US.

Is there a tuner? or has anyone found a method for tuning this variable ???

Thanks in Advance. I really want positive/constructive answers, not the negative assumptions and chirps.. :angel:
No where in Canada do we have a speed limit near 174 km/h... I believe Alberta has 130 km/h, that's the best you will get. There is no Autobahn in North America. There really is no reason to bypass the limiter. Maybe you want to accelerate faster, I get that! But that is a different tuning I would imagine. I find my big lug gets up to speed nicely when I need it to, and I used to run Mustangs... (real ones, not the wannabe stangs...lol) If you live in Ontario and want to do that, I seriously hope you get nailed and lose your license and car. I don't car if you feel the need to keep up with traffic on the 'Indy 400' heading up to cottage country north of Toronto. Trying to run that fast in a vehicle not built for it is a danger to the rest of us on the road, and our families.
You want to push your Enclave's limits, take it to the track. With the body roll these have, they really aren't meant for high speeds.

Lots of places in Texas!! Speed Limiters actually can get you killed and in certain circumstances I will hold GM responsible for the deaths!! In Texas a guy and his wife were going down the LONG stretch of flat highway in west Texas , speed limit is 80mph and he comes up on a 18 wheeler with 3 cars behind it doing 65. He trails along behind them for about 4 miles and no one is passing the 18 wheeler. Finally he says to his wife, "I'm passing this idiot because I have a long straight away ahead and no cars coming in site", so he punches his 2017 Enclave and it responds well as he starts passing the 3 cars,,he is about even with the 18 wheelers trailer when all of a sudden his Enclave stops pulling ahead and is stumbling with a message on the dash reading maximum speed reached (108)!!!! even with the stumbeling car he would have been okay had a vehicle not came up on the horizon headed straight for him,, he is going oh crap this car is powerless and we have no where to go on this 2 lane rd!!! Luckily the 18 wheeler saw the issue and slowed enough for him to pass and get over just in the nick of time!! So in answer to all this BS,,Speed LIMITERS kill and should never be put on a vehicle without the consent of the owner of the vehicle!! They do not protect the engine as the engine reaches max RPM all the time when accelerating heavy,, this item just makes vehicles DEATH TRAPS by the manufacture!! I guarantee you ,, it comes before my court ,,the Manufacture will pay dearly for those lives that you can't bring back!!!! Hope GM reads this and changes there ignorance before it is too late!
I call BS on this story. If the truck was doing 65, and the Enclave couldn't pass it maxed out at 105 with a clear sight to the horizon??? This is one of the worst 'stories' I've heard in a long time. If it couldn't make it, the Enclave didn't come near the limiter and had mechanical/electrical issues. Story time is over now....

Seriously people, if you have a need for speed, go rent a sports car for a day. Don't push the limits of your Luxury SUV/Lumber Wagon.....

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Dirty Harry- had a dream. wow.
Speed limiters are based on the vehicles TIRE ratings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dirty Harry- had a dream. wow.
Speed limiters are based on the vehicles TIRE ratings.
Sorry to burst your bubble on this theory, but the manufacturer doesn't limit their speed based on tires. How do I know? I work for Toyota, and they have different speed rated tires (as well as brands) rolling off the line. I see Toyo and Michelin tires that are V rated going out on the Rav4 Limited, Adventure Grade and others, while LE and XLE base get R rated Michelins and Hancooks....

The manufacturer will get tires that cover the minimum needed for their set speed limit. All Rav4 will have the same speed limiter.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
something is different-
I though the Traverse/Enclave have different speed limits based on whether you have 17,18,19,20 inch wheels

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shouldn't assume anything... I work for Toyota, not GM, so maybe they work differently! :p Maybe GM does do it that way, but usually vehicles have limiters based on the vehicle, not the wheel options. Most reviews of vehicles (Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc) will mention the "top speed" of a vehicle and if its "governed".... But no mention of options. (of course performance vehicles are exceptions) All Rav4 have the same top speed, and I would assume all Terrains do as well, as an example. Exceptions will come with the specialty versions... ie the new Ford Edge ST will be rated higher than the rest of the Edge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is where you are TOTALLY INCORRECT in your fake assumptions KevCol1974!! This story was me and it happened to my wife and I just as I stated!!! You can call it BS all you want but it is FACT!! Obviously you haven't the brain to comprehend! If you lived in Texas, especially west Texas this story happens regularly!! The need for speed was there and the Buick Enclave FAILED miserably! I'm currently in negotiations with GM on their failure to protect their customers .Go get educated and then come back with your irrelevant comments!

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOL, Rbarrios,, my tires H speed rating which is 130. They came on the car when i bought it new. Kinda knocks your comment out ;) I wish you were right then my limiter would have been fine at 130 ;)

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I guess I was wrong.
I Thought I remember seeing post on different speed limits.
Some were 108. some 109.
some 120.... Maybe they turned off the limiters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
rbarrios
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing