EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's only been about 4,000 miles since the first oil change and my oil life indicator is now below 10%. I expected full synthetic oil to go much longer than that, but apparently the computer doesn't like a lot of short trips around town.

Anyway, I saw an Advance ad for Pennzoil Platinum and a Purolator Boss filter for $34 so I decided to try doing it myself. I'm assuming the oil drain plug is the one which is basically in the center, facing forward at the front of the oil pan, but if anyone has a picture of the 2018/19 drain plug location I'd appreciate it. I've searched online several times and can't find anything, and I'd hate to remove the wrong bolt.

Speaking of the bolt, if it's facing forward at the front of the oil pan, how does all the oil drain out if the vehicle is on ramps and leaning backwards away from the drain hole? I won't be using ramps, just curious.

I also got some Sea Foam injector cleaner since other forums seem to agree that this engine needs it about every oil change or so. Not sure if this is true, but it can't hurt, can it?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Those Advance Oil Change Packages are a great deal. I stock up when I can, sometimes they even have the K&N filter with the package, they retail for $14 alone. They changed Rewards program and it isn't as good as it used to be, :confused: I usually get Mobil1.
Any injector cleaner at regular intervals seems to be good for top performance, Techtron will do the same and is what GM has in their AC Delco formula. Top Tier gasoline is also recommended all the time.
I don't know how the oil filter sits on the 18 but it is a pain in the neck on the 08 up to my 15. It it at a down angle and it releases all that oil if you don't get it upright fast. Putting the new one on is no picnic either, you have to feel for the threads and get the exact correct angle to thread it on. If the truck in on the ramps, I need a ladder to get it from the top. I usually roll the truck off the ramp after I secure the drain plug and then I can get the filter on easier. I usually put a Pigmat or a rag directly under the filter to catch the oil when I unscrew it. I also pre-charge the new filter with a little fresh oil before I screw it on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks like it to me. Should be easy to drain. You shouldn't need a ramp, you are correct, it wouldn't drain fully with a ramp anyway. If you need some ground clearance, try 4 - 2 x 8 x 2' layed flat, one for each tire to raise it equally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From my previous research and Bob the oil guy (im not going to look it all back up) Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 was the best oil choice for the buick enclave. I use Mobil 1 (m1-212a) extended performance oil filter. I get 6k miles on it and oil sensor is only at 15% then change.

Buy the oil and filter from Walmart. Its cheapest there than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just finished changing the oil. Not sure it was worth it on this particular vehicle, but at least I'm now familiar with the process in case I ever need to do it again.

$60 and half an hour at the dealership versus making a trip to the store for the oil/filter, crawling around underneath the vehicle, trying to get the filter off down in that confined space, spilling oil all over when it finally does come off even though I attempted to use a plastic bag to contain it, trying to clean up all that oil which is now down in places that can't be reached, then driving back to the store to dump the used oil.

YMMV but for me that filter location makes it quite a hassle.

·
Registered
499 Posts
From my previous research and Bob the oil guy (im not going to look it all back up) Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 was the best oil choice for the buick enclave. I use Mobil 1 (m1-212a) extended performance oil filter. I get 6k miles on it and oil sensor is only at 15% then change.

Buy the oil and filter from Walmart. Its cheapest there than anywhere else.

From what I read, Pennzoil makes a special Oil which supposedly reduces the carbon buildup on the valves. I haven't seen it on the shelves nor do I know the price of it.
Just finished changing the oil. Not sure it was worth it on this particular vehicle, but at least I'm now familiar with the process in case I ever need to do it again.

$60 and half an hour at the dealership versus making a trip to the store for the oil/filter, crawling around underneath the vehicle, trying to get the filter off down in that confined space, spilling oil all over when it finally does come off even though I attempted to use a plastic bag to contain it, trying to clean up all that oil which is now down in places that can't be reached, then driving back to the store to dump the used oil.

YMMV but for me that filter location makes it quite a hassle.
I don't blame you, I am used to it. Plus with 4 vehicles, I am usually doing 2 in the same day. $60 is a great price if they do use Synthetic, that usually runs more. Acura just sent my wife a coupon for an $80 oil change, tire rotation, top off washer fluid (wow). But they do wash and vacuum it so once in a while she goes there.
Of course the fine print reads "Synthetic extra" no idea how much extra.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to do oil changes. Now I have no interest in crawling under the vehicle. Especially this one which is so close to the ground. My Enclave came with two free oil changes and tire rotations. I'm about due for the second one. After that, I'll be paying for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a dealer coupon for $43 for a synthetic oil change which I figured would be around $60 when you add the extra quart of oil and other fees. Seems like a good deal and I'll probably take it in the future, unless I can find a way to get that filter off cleanly. I wonder how the dealer does it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I watched Jiffy Lube do mine once, they had to do a lot of cleaning under there. No real easy way to prevent it except for catching it with a rag or Pigmat before it gets all over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I watched Jiffy Lube do mine once, they had to do a lot of cleaning under there. No real easy way to prevent it except for catching it with a rag or Pigmat before it gets all over.
Take some paper towel (decent amount) and stuff it under the filter before unscrewing. Helps a lot!!!

I pour a little oil in new filter and swash it around until it soaks up completely inside. Add a little more and repeat until its saturated but not filled up. You can't fill it up before screwing it on as its inverted.

Just a few tips

·
Registered
499 Posts
From what I read, Pennzoil makes a special Oil which supposedly reduces the carbon buildup on the valves. I haven't seen it on the shelves nor do I know the price of it.

I am sorry it is Valvoline Synthetic for Modern engines. The price at Walmart is $38 for a 5 quart jug. I wonder how much better this oil is.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I noticed this threaded hole in the engine block while changing the oil. Can anyone confirm whether it's supposed to be open or not? Doesn't seem like it should be.
There's no sign of fluids coming out so I doubt it's an issue. I'm guessing it's just for an accessory you don't have. Remember, this block is shared between a lot of different vehicles.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts