EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light came on when the car was brand new. I did not notice it for a few days, and when I did the car seemed to be running fine. I called onstar for a diagnosis and they found nothing wrong. Talked to dealers and they suggested I may have not properly tightenend the gas cap. Checked gas cap and no effect. Made appointment with Buck dealer to have it checked out. They listed a code, and erased it and I thought no more about it. From then on, I was very careful to fully tighten gas cap. Very next time I took car out, there was that pesky light again. Called service department and made appointment. (Nearest dealer is 1.5 hard hours away.)
They checked and found a "misaligned camshaft" code, but nothing actaully wrong. They checked the sensor and it was OK.
That was just yesteday, so what happens next? I told the car that if it kept crying wolf, how was I to know if there really was a problem? Dealer said no bulletin on this problem.
Anyone else haveing a problem like this? ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi!

Have had the car only 3 days now, picked it up last Friday evening from a dealer located about 50 miles away.
(Local dealers didn't have Ming Blue) and the wife gets the check engine light to come on her first day driving it to work. Came on just after she set out from work heading home.
Decided to activate Onstar tonight, (Probably couldn't have gotten it done as OnStar had it down the purchase was effective just today) and I asked if they could tell me what the code number was. The Advisor told us the code was P0346. If I have the right listing I found online (P0346....Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)). The car had 145 miles on it from test drives when we got it and after the weekend driving we did ( wife, daughter, and grandaughter going shopping, mostly), the first tank of dealer fuel almost gone. About 400 total miles on the vehicle. Now decision time, Purchase Dealer or local dealer?

vinnfizz :-\

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's annoying, isn't it? Keep posting more occurances. It is interesting that we got the same code.
Our Enclave is a "road only" car except those rare occurances that we must use two cars (we are retired) so it may be awhile before I get another light. We are going on a 400 mile trip next week (grandkid visit!), and if history repeats itself, I will see a light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the pleasure of taking my AWD Clave to the dealer twice now for the same problem. The first time they said a harness belt had been routed the wrong way.

A week later the check engine light came on again. Took it back. Dealer replaced the camshaft sensor and changed the oil. Dealer told me to drive it for the next 200 miles to see if this fix worked.

Two weeks later, the light came on again. This time the dealer says GM wants them to readjust the cylinder heads, which is some significant engine work. It only has 1800 miles on it.

Before I take it in for this major surgery next week, the light has nowgone out.

Today, found out that GM recognizes there is some sort of software problem with the sensor, so no engine problem at all! This is good news. ;D :blob:
Now we wait for GM to issue the software fix.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Computer gremlins, oh so hard to find.
Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi again!

A little follow-up on our check engine light. Wouldn't you know it! It went out the day following my last post. Wife had made appointment for local dealer service vice the one we bought from due to the 50 mile distance after calling the dealer we bought from. She took it in and they checked it all out and couldn't find anything but they did adjust one of the wiring harnesses. Intermittant discrepancies are most frustrating for any service technician! Will report back if it comes back again.
Still getting rave reviews from all who have gone for a ride with us. Daughter-in-law loves it and wants it for herself. She used to drive 18 wheelers in a former life so she has some experience. LOL

vinn

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
vinnfizz
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

MRBUICK

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That's great news, vinnfizz . I have experienced a small, instantaneous, misfire/hiccup, while driving my previous SUV (drop of water in gas?) and the Check lite came on immediately! Don't know if the Mrs. would even have given it a second thought! Took 3-4 days for computer to "decide" no real eng maintenance was required. Never came back in 3 years :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 GMC Acadia - 250 miles - One Week Old - Special Order from Fractory - Check Engine Light On - Code: P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor A

Sound familiar?

Persman, where did you hear about the software issue?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
2008AcadiAAAH said:
2008 GMC Acadia - 250 miles - One Week Old - Special Order from Fractory - Check Engine Light On - Code: P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor A

Sound familiar?

Persman, where did you hear about the software issue?

Welcome here! hate to tell you this, but some small percentage of '08 Enclaves seem to have this problem. My 06/07 build date seems to be running OK. Some report the computer re-flash fixes it?? Tralfaz reported the info. Many are reporting a far worse scenario, as the below thread details. Hope you're one of the lucky ones................ :thumb:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2405.0

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Enclave now with appx. 4500k. Have had "check engine light' on and off for some time. Dealer has checked out and advises its a cam shaft/sensor problem and they are going to change out the cam shafts etc. as soon as parts are available. When I asked why the check engine light would on occasion go out then come back on some time later with nothing done to the engine the said after 10 or so engine starts the light would reset and go out. It would then come back on after so many miles/kilometers. I don't know if this correct but it does seem to apply to my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
stuck said:
I have a 2008 Enclave now with appx. 4500k. Have had "check engine light' on and off for some time. Dealer has checked out and advises its a cam shaft/sensor problem and they are going to change out the cam shafts etc. as soon as parts are available. When I asked why the check engine light would on occasion go out then come back on some time later with nothing done to the engine the said after 10 or so engine starts the light would reset and go out. It would then come back on after so many miles/kilometers. I don't know if this correct but it does seem to apply to my vehicle.
My Enclave has been having the same problem for two months. And the light does go out every 10 starts or so and then comes back. It took my dealer almost 4 weeks to get the parts. I have an appointment for Monday and was warned that it would take at least two days to fix everything.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
chumster said:
My Enclave has been having the same problem for two months. And the light does go out every 10 starts or so and then comes back. It took my dealer almost 4 weeks to get the parts. I have an appointment for Monday and was warned that it would take at least two days to fix everything.
Got your e-mail. Good luck and pls let us know! It seems to work out! :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our Check Engine Light turned out to be the issue with the camshaft problem unfortunately. We had a 9 hour drive planned to a family reunion on Mar 28 and two days prior the light came back on. Since the wife wanted to get the first oil change done before the trip she had already scheduled an appointment with the local dealer the next day. When she dropped it off she had no idea that after numerous calls by the local dealer to GM that they would not release the car to her with the problems with the cams and cam position sensors. They said if it was allowed to continue it could cause an engine to shut down and not allow a restart. Not helpful on a planned 9hr drive.
Long story short GM paid for the rental of a similar vehicle (GMC Envoy - not the same in my book) for the 4 weeks it took to get all the parts in with only two days to do the fix. They ended up replacing the cams, position sensors, and removed and replaced both cylinder heads. Now I just hope all will be well. I told the wife, “I will be looking for the first drop of oil to hit the driveway and if I see any the car is going back to the original dealer and I will be demanding a replacement”. I don’t have the build date located yet but will look when I get home.
I hope this problem is solved for all very soon. Love the car, but wary of future problems!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was the one that started this thread. My light came on twice with the camshaft code, but has not done it again since then. I have 3300 miles and no recurrance, but wonder if there is a lurking problem.
I just have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Go my car back 5 days ago. So far so good - no light!! Still trying to figure out why they had to put 40 miles of test-driving after the repair.

I do feel a little vibration in the steering wheel while in gear at the stop sign. It was not there before...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
chumster said:
Go my car back 5 days ago. So far so good - no light!! Still trying to figure out why they had to put 40 miles of test-driving after the repair.

I do feel a little vibration in the steering wheel while in gear at the stop sign. It was not there before...
If I have to have a big repair like this one, I wouldn't think 40 miles is so far to drive, I would want to make sure it was not going to recur as soon as I get it back. They probably did not want to give it back to you and have you back in 2 days later.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
bsox said:
If I have to have a big repair like this one, I wouldn't think 40 miles is so far to drive, I would want to make sure it was not going to recur as soon as I get it back. They probably did not want to give it back to you and have you back in 2 days later.
I agree but in my case CEL never came on during driving. It showed up only while starting the car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts