EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw this posted on another forum- a tech/mechanic posted this.

I can speak from first hand experience that over 90% of the vehicles that land in my shop with P0008 current and require chains, also have low oil level (Most with none on the dipstick) and have traveled anywhere from 9000-20000kms between oil changes. The Camshaft actuators do require
oil pressure to function properly.Could a more durable part be made? I don't see why not. Could people check their oil level...For Sure! And yes I see alot
of em'. 40 Bay Cadillac Chevrolet Buick GMC dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
This isn't a problem of cam shaft actuators could be stronger. If you are that low on oil or losing it that fast, you have other problems heading your way as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats 5500 to 12000 miles-
if you happen to have an engine that uses some oil. (within what GM considers normal) but you go 12,000 miles and not check your oil level... then thats a no-no on the owners part....
now if its excesive oil use-- then also on the owner to check for proper level and take it in to get looked at...
unfortunately- most will take it in once its clanking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
Because this seems like an important topic, I am going to "sticky" this thread as a sort of "public service announcement" that may help keep our lambdas in better running condition. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
I've got two vehicles with the 3.6 and both use oil. I check the level on a regular basis and add when it needs 1/2 quart. I probably average adding 2 quarts on each vehicle between oil changes. I run strictly 5W30 full synthetic oil and go somewhere between 8-9k miles between changes, depending on the amount of highway miles and what the DIC oil life % indicates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Because this seems like an important topic, I am going to "sticky" this thread as a sort of "public service announcement" that may help keep our lambdas in better running condition. :angel:
Good idea, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Rbarrios -- that is very good advice but still might not be enough to prevent timing chain issues. I am a frequent oil level checker -- I occasionally need to add 1/2 a qt every 3,000 miles or so. Additionally I change my oil every 5,000 +/- miles and use synthetic so I would estimate the OLM was always about 50% at change. I also changed the oil at the 1,000 mile mark (the original dealer tried to talk me out of it but I insisted). Well, wouldn't you know, I was away two weekends ago and upon returning and driving our E, I noticed the CEL was on. I had OnStar run a diagnostic and they told me its a P0008 code. They could see the OLM and so told me to wait and see if it goes out. If not, call the dealer for service. I called the dealer immediately after and made the appointment. The light cleared the next day but I kept the appointment anyhow. After they tech looked at it, they reprogrammed the ECM as per bulletin 10287A (which is mentioned elsewhere in this forum). They also advised that if I ever get another P0008 they would replace the timing chain.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
I know that the OLM is being reflashed to indicated the need for shorter drain intervals, but what is the ECM reflash doing? Is it a compensatory measure to retime the engine to reduce the likelihood a stretching a chain? Is it reflashing the engine to be able to run even if the chain is a little stretched in order to delay the need for a timing chain replacement? What is the reflash doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
If the camshaft actuators do require oil pressure to operate properly, and the oil levels get so low that there is not enough oil pressure for the camshaft actuators....shouldn't there be a "low oil pressure" message on the DIC (or low oil pressure light)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I know that the OLM is being reflashed to indicated the need for shorter drain intervals, but what is the ECM reflash doing? Is it a compensatory measure to retime the engine to reduce the likelihood a stretching a chain? Is it reflashing the engine to be able to run even if the chain is a little stretched in order to delay the need for a timing chain replacement? What is the reflash doing?
I received the Customer Satisfaction Program notice (euphemism for Recall) and it seems to say they are just reducing the oil change interval... I'll put it in my Gallery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
franko said:
Rbarrios -- that is very good advice but still might not be enough to prevent timing chain issues. I am a frequent oil level checker -- I occasionally need to add 1/2 a qt every 3,000 miles or so. Additionally I change my oil every 5,000 +/- miles and use synthetic so I would estimate the OLM was always about 50% at change. I also changed the oil at the 1,000 mile mark (the original dealer tried to talk me out of it but I insisted). Well, wouldn't you know, I was away two weekends ago and upon returning and driving our E, I noticed the CEL was on. I had OnStar run a diagnostic and they told me its a P0008 code. They could see the OLM and so told me to wait and see if it goes out. If not, call the dealer for service. I called the dealer immediately after and made the appointment. The light cleared the next day but I kept the appointment anyhow. After they tech looked at it, they reprogrammed the ECM as per bulletin 10287A (which is mentioned elsewhere in this forum). They also advised that if I ever get another P0008 they would replace the timing chain.
How many miles did you have on it when the light came on for the chains?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
I just checked mine again. . .

It's STILL about 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart overfilled. :facepalm:

And MY oil was handfilled from bottles of 5W-30 PP by the Service Manager himself. I watched him do it.

. . Falcon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
How many quarts did he put in? Should use 5.5 qts. I think you all know that OVER filling can be just as bad, if not worse, than under-filling.

I check my OL every 2 weeks and I must say that I have never had to add any oil on both my 2008 or my 2010. If you are adding a quart or two between 5K mile oil changes...something is SERIOUSLY wrong as that is NOT normal for any vehicle manufactured today except for "maybe" the rotary Mazda engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
cableguy said:
If you are adding a quart or two between 5K mile oil changes...something is SERIOUSLY wrong as that is NOT normal for any vehicle manufactured today except for "maybe" the rotary Mazda engines.
I would have to respectfully disagree with that. While I would find it undesirable there is nothing SERIOUSLY wrong with any vehicle that needs a quart of oil added between 3K and 5K miles. Some small amount of oil is naturally burned off from lubricating the cylinder walls. Owners may not like it but it is not necessarily a sign of any real issues, IMHO.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
From what I understand from a series of previous posts, these engines tend to use a quart or two every 5,000 miles due to oil blow by and evaporation due to the high operating temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Well then gentlemen, I guess that I am the exception to the rule. I must say that I, too, respectfully disagree that an engine would require a full quart or more of oil simply due to lubrication, evaporation and "blow-by". It has been many many years since any normal passenger non-high performance engine has ever required that much oil in a 3-5K change interval. I don't know what cars you all have been driving but what some say you are experiencing with having to add that significant amount of oil is far from normal. 1/4 to 1/2 quart...maybe...but a full quart or two...I'm sorry but something is definitely wrong!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
cableguy said:
I don't know what cars you all have been driving but what some say you are experiencing with having to add that significant amount of oil is far from normal. 1/4 to 1/2 quart...maybe...but a full quart or two...I'm sorry but something is definitely wrong!!!
Read some Audi forums. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Most, if not all, Audi's are considered to be HIGH performance engines ;)
 
1 - 20 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
68 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top