EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

421 - 440 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check the oil level in 1000 miles. If its still near the current level I think you will have found and also solved your consumption issue. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Blue Oval said:
Check the oil level in 1000 miles. If its still near the current level I think you will have found and also solved your consumption issue. :thumb:
You mean that would suggest that the culprit was the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra all along?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Second, Mobil 1 is being consumed at a slower rate than Pennzoil Ultra.

That's too funny! I was just reading a post on BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) where someone asked if a quart of oil consumption in 2000 miles was excessive for a Traverse. One reply was just the opposite of what is remarked upon here for the Pennzoil products.

Mobil 1 is well known for consumption in vehicles that have not had it before. Is M1 new to this engine? Continued use it will most likely taper way off.

When you go to the link below, that is for the last post in the topic. Scroll up to the first post and read about the Mobil 1.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3741363/Searchpage/1/Main/236122/Words/Traverse/Search/true/Re:_Traverse_oil_consumption#Post3741363

Who really knows what oil is going to be consumed at a quicker rate, if at all?

·
Registered
556 Posts
You mean that would suggest that the culprit was the Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra all along?
That could be the reason - if nothing else has been changed or fixed, time and miles will tell us the story. We know its not leaking because any significant leakage (3 qts in 5700 miles) would leave something where you normally park and a dye test failed to show significant leaks. If the oil isn't dripping out anyplace its consumed internally, up from the bottom from bad rings, down from the top from bad valve components, or getting into the air intake through PCV components.

I agree it doesn't seem logical that a different brand of oil would make much difference, but your engine will be proof if it does! Supposedly my dealer always used Mobil 1 in my 11 Enclave and it never used oil till I traded at 54,000 miles. It had several hard 10 hr days on the interstate and wasn't babied from day one. I never had an oil analysis and I have no preference of brands as long as its changed at a dealership under warranty. Perhaps your experiment will change my opinion and I (and others) will become sold on Mobil 1??

Interesting experiment and hopefully your oil consumption will continue to be minimal.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
There are some interesting ideas in that BITOG thread. One is a leaking oil filter.

I do recall noticing that the horizontal flat metal bar several inches below the oil filter was wet before the car was brought in for evaluation several weeks ago. It recently has looked dry since the dealer's service. I wonder if the Quaker State filter that the independent garage uses tends to leak oil that was getting trapped on top of that metal cross beam? The dealer uses the AC Delco PF48E oil filter instead.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
oil will fall on this area with the nut- and that rubber cover-
and make its way underneath.

I simply spray with simple green and clean from above and below.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The metal beam that I'm referring to is the 4" wide slab parellel to the radiator, which is several inches father from the front bumper.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
you have oil over there?

im trying to figure out how oil would get over there--- if it is the beam by the radiator--

that most likely would be coolant and or trans fluid- as the trans cooler runs within the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I think that the engine oil filter sits directly above that beam. Regardless, I'm not 100% sure that it was engine oil that was there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Gold,
Maybe the independent oil changer spilled oil when removing the old filter and had not being cleaning it up. Maybe the dealer preparing to look for leaks cleaned up all areas with any appearance of oil leakage.
A lot of maybes, but possible.
Rick

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Rick H said:
Gold,
Maybe the independent oil changer spilled oil when removing the old filter and had not being cleaning it up. Maybe the dealer preparing to look for leaks cleaned up all areas with any appearance of oil leakage.
A lot of maybes, but possible.
Rick
Hmmm. You have a very good thought.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
It is several days later, and the structural beam is still dry, and the oil level on the dipstick is still about 1/2" above the top hole. I am beginning to become increasingly more comfortable with the notion that the increase in oil consumption between the recent oil change and the one prior was due to a leaking oil filter seal. Though there is a little oil consumption in the roughly 1,300 miles since the latest oil change, it is at a rate that is far slower than before. I am willing to bet that the AC Delco PF48E filter that is currently installed is a far better match for the car than the Quaker State filter that the independent garage used.

My guess is that the previous oil filter seal was leaking while under pump pressure while the car was being driven, which caused the oil to spray out onto the road and horizontal cross beam, so there was little spotting when parked. ;)

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yay! :happy: :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I've now driven 2,037 miles since the last oil change performed by my dealer, and the oil level on the dipstick has dropped from about 3/4" above the top hole to about 1/4" above the top hole. My guess is that represents about a 1/2-2/3 quart oil consumption. At that rate, my Enclave would consume about 1.33-1.67 quarts per 5,000 mile drain interval, which would be a return to its normal rate over the years.

So, my increasing suspicion is that the non-OEM oil filter was leaking between the recent oil change and the one before it, which led to a temporary doubling of oil consumption. Phew! I think I just dodged a proverbial bullet.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
:uzi: :scared: :hilarious2: :popcorn: :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
After 3,250 miles, the oil level on the dipstick has dropped about 1". This probably equates to about 1-1.25 quarts of oil used since the last oil change. This extrapolates to consumption in the ballpark of 1.75 quarts during my typical 5,000 mile drainage interval.

My confidence in my Enclave's engine is growing, as well as that of my hypothesis that the higher oil consumption rate prior to the recent oil change was due to a leaking oil filter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It blows my mind that there is no "low oil" warning of any kind on this vehicle!!

I have read this thread when I bought the Enclave and indeed checked my oil levels often for a while, just to find out that it was remaining constant between oil changes.
So, I just did a trip from Michigan to Florida: checked all fluids before leaving, oil interval was at 65%, I don't think there was even 1K miles since change at the GM dealer with regular Mobile. When I got to Florida, the next day the E began acting the same way it did when one of the ignition coils failed - it would misfire at medium load. No check engine light, no overheating. Oil was the last thing I would've checked, luckily I stumbled on a thread here with the guy showing coil symptoms, but it turned out the oil was low. Checked the oil - it was just a drop at the bottom of the stick!!! Took over 2 qts to bring it back to normal level...I have no oil stains in the garage, the blow-back thingy wasn't overly full, plus there was no staining at all on the intake, the 2+qts of oil just vanished somehow.

Oil being so vital to a vehicle - I can't believe there are no sensors associated with it - no low oil pressure light or anything...insane!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
doctore, I would check the 3" wide and fewl feet long horizontal structural metal beam that is located about 18" below the oil filter for moisture. If it is wet, it might be that a loose or poorly sealed oil filter sprayed the oil toward the road while the system was under pressure while driving. Some of that sprayed oil would strike and coat the metal beam as evidence of this situation. This is what I've surmised happened to my Enclave recently, which caused a temporary spike in oil "consumption". The oil use has returned to normal without the metal beam becoming wet again since the last oil filter change.

421 - 440 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
68 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing