EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

441 - 460 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 09 has an oil pressure switch. I know because shortly after buying it the switch started to fail.
As far as I know there is no oil level on these engines other than the dip stick.
Rick

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
doctore said:
It blows my mind that there is no "low oil" warning of any kind on this vehicle!!

I have read this thread when I bought the Enclave and indeed checked my oil levels often for a while, just to find out that it was remaining constant between oil changes.
So, I just did a trip from Michigan to Florida: checked all fluids before leaving, oil interval was at 65%, I don't think there was even 1K miles since change at the GM dealer with regular Mobile. When I got to Florida, the next day the E began acting the same way it did when one of the ignition coils failed - it would misfire at medium load. No check engine light, no overheating. Oil was the last thing I would've checked, luckily I stumbled on a thread here with the guy showing coil symptoms, but it turned out the oil was low. Checked the oil - it was just a drop at the bottom of the stick!!! Took over 2 qts to bring it back to normal level...I have no oil stains in the garage, the blow-back thingy wasn't overly full, plus there was no staining at all on the intake, the 2+qts of oil just vanished somehow.

Oil being so vital to a vehicle - I can't believe there are no sensors associated with it - no low oil pressure light or anything...insane!
The 3.6 is an outdated power plant.....lacking torque and thirsty. In the 2015 XTS it's crazy that anybody would spend 60k plus and get a variant of this power plant. Captive audience....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
john 070 said:
The 3.6 is an outdated power plant.....lacking torque and thirsty. In the 2015 XTS it's crazy that anybody would spend 60k plus and get a variant of this power plant. Captive audience....
Then why is GM using it in numerous current models across most lines?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
It's been about 5,700 miles since the last oil change and my estimate is that my Enclave has consumed about 2.5 quarts of oil since. This extrapolates to nearly 2.25 quarts per my usual 5,000 mile drain interval, which is up from the 1.75 rate during the prior 7 years of ownership.

Though this is not as bad as between the previous oil change interval, it is still an increase from the norm for my car. Whatever...I'll just top off a bit more often than I used to. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Interesting, today we are told that's normal. 10 years ago we would have freaked out using our common sense. I even saw online Porsche considers a few quarts per interval to be ok (even they cya for poor builds I guess). Well, at least my 1998 Nissan and 2007 BMW do not consume a drop of oil between changes. I think the Enclave is 1 qt. as I just added 1/4 qt at 75% on the olm. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I could be wrong, but it seems that the lower the oil becomes within the sump, the faster it is consumed. I haven't measured this specifically, but am observing anecdotally. Can this be true?

·
Registered
556 Posts
but it seems that the lower the oil becomes within the sump, the faster it is consumed. I haven't measured this specifically, but am observing anecdotally. Can this be true?
Yes it cold be if the bottom end of the engine and pan are somewhat "V" shaped - allowing for more square inches of surface (and therefore quantity) when full as compared to when the level is down a qt. The dipstick is a measure of distance up and down, not a true indicator of actual volume in the container.

Reminds me I have to get mine changed soon as it is below 10% oil life. Just turned 10,000 miles and will check level before and after the change.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
So, what you are suggesting is that the dipstick measurement might not be linear. Interesting possibility.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Again, if it weren't for this thread, I would not be checking the oil frequently. Haven't had the need to do so since my 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport with the 250 I-6, as it leaked. The various Volvos, Nissan, BMW, none of these cars require/required topping off.

The days of grandpa popping the hood everytime we got gas are long gone, or so we thought...

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you think of a container that is shaped like a funnel, and you remove a fixed amount at a fixed rate (like one ounce per minute or in the case of an engine one ounce per hundred miles) the distance the level drops in that period is greater as the level goes down due to the smaller surface area/volume of the container. The rate of withdrawal remains the same, but the level drops faster as the volume of the container gets smaller.

Just like an hourglass - the level drops slowly as long as the sides of the tube are parallel, but goes down faster when the level reaches the tapered bottom of the vial. The sand is still leaving the chamber at approximately the same speed - although the weight of the sand in a full chamber may have some effect on the rate - but that is the idea.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Blue Oval said:
If you think of a container that is shaped like a funnel, and you remove a fixed amount at a fixed rate (like one ounce per minute or in the case of an engine one ounce per hundred miles) the distance the level drops in that period is greater as the level goes down due to the smaller surface area/volume of the container. The rate of withdrawal remains the same, but the level drops faster as the volume of the container gets smaller.

Just like an hourglass - the level drops slowly as long as the sides of the tube are parallel, but goes down faster when the level reaches the tapered bottom of the vial. The sand is still leaving the chamber at approximately the same speed - although the weight of the sand in a full chamber may have some effect on the rate - but that is the idea.
The martini glass effect. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
BTW, my Subaru dealer's service manager just "warned" me that the newest Subaru engines are considered within tolerance if they consume up to 1 quart of synthetic oil per 1,200 miles! The explanation is that Subaru's newest engine designs have such tight fit tolerances that thin weight synthetic oil is necessary to squeeze between the moving parts for proper protection. In turn, the slicker synthetic oil tends to get past seals more easily than the conventional heavier weigh oils previously used, so there is more blow-by. He alerted me after I had complained that GM deems 1 quart of oil consumed per 2,000 miles within tolerance. Yikes!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
BTW, my Subaru dealer's service manager just "warned" me that the newest Subaru engines are considered within tolerance if they consume up to 1 quart of synthetic oil per 1,200 miles! The explanation is that Subaru's newest engine designs have such tight fit tolerances that thin weight synthetic oil is necessary to squeeze between the moving parts for proper protection. In turn, the slicker synthetic oil tends to get past seals more easily than the conventional heavier weigh oils previously used, so there is more blow-by. He alerted me after I had complained that GM deems 1 quart of oil consumed per 2,000 miles within tolerance. Yikes!
Pardon me, but screw that. It might not be uncommon but that doesn't mean it's OK.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
zman, I wasn't happy with his alert, either. He did say that most of the new engines are not consuming oil at anywhere near the 1 quart per 1,200 miles rate. But, the days of zero oil consumption, like my 2006 Tribeca, are over at Subaru. Progress, I guess. ???

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Friend told me Audi svc mgr told him Audi is replacing S4 motors for oil consumption. Coworker confirmed this on her A6 2.0T. It's like a person has to be thankful nowadays they didn't get a poorly assembled motor. We were batting 1.000 b4 the Enclave.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
zman said:
Pardon me, but screw that. It might not be uncommon but that doesn't mean it's OK.
. Even Porsche's official stance per a car mag was 3 qts. Per change interval is acceptable (to whom?). My buddy's wife's Q5 2.0T lit up recently to add. BS.

Edit: IMHO it's a crock to say only abc is covered, not def. Michelin did just that with the Latitude recall. So premium mfgs do it too, everybody. Shareholders insist that profit is maximized.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/audi-oil-consumption-lawsuit.shtml

Audi S4’s are a piece of work, 8k and 31 hrs labor to fix!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's like a person has to be thankful nowadays they didn't get a poorly assembled motor. We were batting 1.000 b4 the Enclave.

What break downs has your "poorly built" engine caused? It is using an amount of oil between changes that has been shown to be acceptable and within normal operating conditions, correct?

I get the feeling from many of your posts that you have a "Love/Hate" relationship with your Buick. :facepalm:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never got to follow up on my vanishing oil problem from the previous page of this thread (such is life...), but as GoldEnclave mentioned - it must have been the filter.

After topping off the oil and reading Gold's suggestion, I stopped at a quick-lube place and did an oil change. A week or so later I drove back to Michigan and checked oil levels at every stop - no issues whatsoever, not a drop below the line for the entire trip and since.

No doubt the engine is extremely underpowered for the vehicle. I had cramps in my right leg for a week after the trip from mashing on the gas pedal through the Appalachians just to keep the car at 70mph, no joke! Forget about cruise control, just not enough power under the hood. It was the biggest reason I did not go with an Enclave when I traded it last month, despite the amazing ride - for its weight it's either V8 or nothing...

441 - 460 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
68 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing