EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

461 - 475 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
john 070 said:
Friend told me Audi svc mgr told him Audi is replacing S4 motors for oil consumption. Coworker confirmed this on her A6 2.0T. It's like a person has to be thankful nowadays they didn't get a poorly assembled motor. We were batting 1.000 b4 the Enclave.
By the time I got my 2014 I think the issue was resolved. The earlier versions could burn oil. I think Audi has a couple of different repair options for those that burn oil. They start with less invasive and less expensive and if need be I think they tear the engine down and replace the rings and/or pistons.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
zman said:
By the time I got my 2014 I think the issue was resolved. The earlier versions could burn oil. I think Audi has a couple of different repair options for those that burn oil. They start with less invasive and less expensive and if need be I think they tear the engine down and replace the rings and/or pistons.
The thing about German cars, is there seems to be an "official" and "unofficial" approach. A service manager would never tell you that it's "normal" for a new motor to consume oil. They would tell you the real deal and push comes to shove get it fixed under warranty under goodwill. I remember when I was still dreaming about BMWs as my Nissan was my first new car and it was only 2 y.o., everybody and his mother complained about how vague the steering was on the new E46 BMW. What did BMW do? Retrofit steering racks for any owner who wanted it. It wasn't a defect per se and not a recall, it was that the steering wasn't as tight as expected, and when compared to the E36.

It's too bad that when you see a low price on a used German car like a S4 (31 hours labor to fix a tensioner issue, some V8 BMWs $10,000 to repair a leaking coolant pipe), it's because an expensive repair could be lurking around the corner (5 figures)....

My friend's wife's Q5 is a '12 or '13. He said we shouldn't have gotten it, we should have gotten one of them Lincolns (I think the Matthew McConaughey commercials have gotten the best of him), I told him NO WAY. :drunk:

Some are ok, I'm sure if you lease who cares, but I can't go into a vehicle where when it's brand new it consumes oil. It's not built properly, no excuses. Honda uses 0W20 as does the BMW 320i--so it leaks because the oil is too thin? C'mon now, it doesn't. Grow up, Subaru.

edit: Now upon clarifcation, my friend said the motor replacement the svc. mgr. told him about was on an A4, not a S4. The first symptom was topping off a quart of oil every 500 miles. This is what has my friend perturbed. And, that is consistent with my former coworker saying her motor was already replaced in a A6 2.0T. She never gave me the details, only said it's a bad motor for the A6, it's too heavy of a car? True, but doesn't clarify what necessitated a motor replacement under 30k.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
doctore said:
Never got to follow up on my vanishing oil problem from the previous page of this thread (such is life...), but as GoldEnclave mentioned - it must have been the filter.

After topping off the oil and reading Gold's suggestion, I stopped at a quick-lube place and did an oil change. A week or so later I drove back to Michigan and checked oil levels at every stop - no issues whatsoever, not a drop below the line for the entire trip and since.

No doubt the engine is extremely underpowered for the vehicle. I had cramps in my right leg for a week after the trip from mashing on the gas pedal through the Appalachians just to keep the car at 70mph, no joke! Forget about cruise control, just not enough power under the hood. It was the biggest reason I did not go with an Enclave when I traded it last month, despite the amazing ride - for its weight it's either V8 or nothing...
I'm glad that I was able to help you with your oil consumption mystery.

BTW, what car did you get when you traded in your Enclave?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got one of them Lincolns, lol , an mks.

I wanted to get back in a sedan for a coupe of years and hopefully the Enclave would be much improved in 2 years when it's time to trade again. The MKS is as large as you could get them, the LaCross is just too small, unfortunatelly, otherwise i wouldve stuck with Buick.

For what is worth, I've been very happy with Buick and Cadillac, it's just a matter of them not building any real full-size sedans anymore...shame...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rbarrios -- that is very good advice but still might not be enough to prevent timing chain issues. I am a frequent oil level checker -- I occasionally need to add 1/2 a qt every 3,000 miles or so. Additionally I change my oil every 5,000 +/- miles and use synthetic so I would estimate the OLM was always about 50% at change. I also changed the oil at the 1,000 mile mark (the original dealer tried to talk me out of it but I insisted). Well, wouldn't you know, I was away two weekends ago and upon returning and driving our E, I noticed the CEL was on. I had OnStar run a diagnostic and they told me its a P0008 code. They could see the OLM and so told me to wait and see if it goes out. If not, call the dealer for service. I called the dealer immediately after and made the appointment. The light cleared the next day but I kept the appointment anyhow. After they tech looked at it, they reprogrammed the ECM as per bulletin 10287A (which is mentioned elsewhere in this forum). They also advised that if I ever get another P0008 they would replace the timing chain.
I use Mobil 1 synthetic & have changed it every 5k at dealership. Unfortunately I bought my E with 81k. It gave the P0008 & my vehicle started knocking. The dealership where I bought & took it for maintenance said that it didn't receive regular oil changes before I purchased it, so they denied the warranty repair. The tough part is that she only has 102310 miles!

·
Registered
494 Posts
They were happy to sell it to you knowing that it didn't receive regular oil changes though. Did they tell you this before you bought it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
They were happy to sell it to you knowing that it didn't receive regular oil changes though. Did they tell you this before you bought it?
Of course not. I've already been in co tact with their GM, but he doesn't seem to care. I bought it with 88k miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Park Across the street with a big sign that scammed by Dealers name and when they come over to talk to you let them know you could come to an arrangement

·
Registered
151 Posts
Checked the oil level often before the first oil change at 3200 miles on my 2019 and didn't notice any significant usage. Since it didn't seem to be burning much oil I didn't check again until yesterday at 6500 miles and there was no oil showing on the dipstick (!). Level surface, engine cold.

There are no leaks, no warning lights, no change in engine performance, no burning smells, no engine noise, etc.

I know a little oil usage is normal, but can it go from full to empty in 3300 miles?

I'm concerned.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As you should be. Then when you mention it to the dealer and they will tell you its normal. Crazy. Make sure you inform them about it, document it, make sure they put it on your service ticket. Who does your oil changes?

·
Registered
151 Posts
First (and only so far) oil change done at the dealer where I purchased the vehicle. Checked the oil immediately afterwards and it was new and full. Haven't checked since then and now it appears to be near empty.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
since its fairly new--- continue to document.
Get an oil change- and the next day after the car has run--and been parked--- pull out the dipstick clean it- and pull out again and take a picture of the REAL FULL oil line.
Then continue to check- and take pictures- document mileage on oil, mileage on engine and OLM %.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So I checked the oil again when the engine was warm and the level was normal. The manual says to check it with the engine cold, or wait 15 minutes if warm, so I'm confused about which one is accurate since mine shows vastly different levels between the two.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It shouldn't be such a difference between hot and cold, especially since it is synthetic oil which flows so freely.

461 - 475 of 475 Posts