EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

461 - 465 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
john 070 said:
Friend told me Audi svc mgr told him Audi is replacing S4 motors for oil consumption. Coworker confirmed this on her A6 2.0T. It's like a person has to be thankful nowadays they didn't get a poorly assembled motor. We were batting 1.000 b4 the Enclave.
By the time I got my 2014 I think the issue was resolved. The earlier versions could burn oil. I think Audi has a couple of different repair options for those that burn oil. They start with less invasive and less expensive and if need be I think they tear the engine down and replace the rings and/or pistons.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
zman said:
By the time I got my 2014 I think the issue was resolved. The earlier versions could burn oil. I think Audi has a couple of different repair options for those that burn oil. They start with less invasive and less expensive and if need be I think they tear the engine down and replace the rings and/or pistons.
The thing about German cars, is there seems to be an "official" and "unofficial" approach. A service manager would never tell you that it's "normal" for a new motor to consume oil. They would tell you the real deal and push comes to shove get it fixed under warranty under goodwill. I remember when I was still dreaming about BMWs as my Nissan was my first new car and it was only 2 y.o., everybody and his mother complained about how vague the steering was on the new E46 BMW. What did BMW do? Retrofit steering racks for any owner who wanted it. It wasn't a defect per se and not a recall, it was that the steering wasn't as tight as expected, and when compared to the E36.

It's too bad that when you see a low price on a used German car like a S4 (31 hours labor to fix a tensioner issue, some V8 BMWs $10,000 to repair a leaking coolant pipe), it's because an expensive repair could be lurking around the corner (5 figures)....

My friend's wife's Q5 is a '12 or '13. He said we shouldn't have gotten it, we should have gotten one of them Lincolns (I think the Matthew McConaughey commercials have gotten the best of him), I told him NO WAY. :drunk:

Some are ok, I'm sure if you lease who cares, but I can't go into a vehicle where when it's brand new it consumes oil. It's not built properly, no excuses. Honda uses 0W20 as does the BMW 320i--so it leaks because the oil is too thin? C'mon now, it doesn't. Grow up, Subaru.

edit: Now upon clarifcation, my friend said the motor replacement the svc. mgr. told him about was on an A4, not a S4. The first symptom was topping off a quart of oil every 500 miles. This is what has my friend perturbed. And, that is consistent with my former coworker saying her motor was already replaced in a A6 2.0T. She never gave me the details, only said it's a bad motor for the A6, it's too heavy of a car? True, but doesn't clarify what necessitated a motor replacement under 30k.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
doctore said:
Never got to follow up on my vanishing oil problem from the previous page of this thread (such is life...), but as GoldEnclave mentioned - it must have been the filter.

After topping off the oil and reading Gold's suggestion, I stopped at a quick-lube place and did an oil change. A week or so later I drove back to Michigan and checked oil levels at every stop - no issues whatsoever, not a drop below the line for the entire trip and since.

No doubt the engine is extremely underpowered for the vehicle. I had cramps in my right leg for a week after the trip from mashing on the gas pedal through the Appalachians just to keep the car at 70mph, no joke! Forget about cruise control, just not enough power under the hood. It was the biggest reason I did not go with an Enclave when I traded it last month, despite the amazing ride - for its weight it's either V8 or nothing...
I'm glad that I was able to help you with your oil consumption mystery.

BTW, what car did you get when you traded in your Enclave?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got one of them Lincolns, lol , an mks.

I wanted to get back in a sedan for a coupe of years and hopefully the Enclave would be much improved in 2 years when it's time to trade again. The MKS is as large as you could get them, the LaCross is just too small, unfortunatelly, otherwise i wouldve stuck with Buick.

For what is worth, I've been very happy with Buick and Cadillac, it's just a matter of them not building any real full-size sedans anymore...shame...

461 - 465 of 465 Posts
About this Discussion
464 Replies
68 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing