EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Jalopnik

The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, expected to debut at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show and arrive in showrooms near the end of 2008, has been somewhat of a wily prey for spy photographers...until now. A member of the Priddy car portrait-takers snagged these shots of the new upcoming Lambda-platformed SUV as it was being tested on of all places, the Las Vegas Strip. The Spring Hill, Tennessee-built Traverse will replace the Uplander minivan and the big Trailblazer SUV -- so, you know, Chevy's got a lot riding on the cousin of the Enclave, Acadia and Outlook. Brenda Priddy's take is below the gallery and below the jump.

Although we don't know if the name is carved in stone, Chevrolet's Lambda-platform-based crossover is making its first unofficial appearance on - of all places - the Las Vegas Strip!

Adding to the Lambda family - the Buick Enclave, Saturn's Outlook and the GMC Acadia, will be this Chevrolet. But unlike the others - this one will be built in Spring Hill, Tennessee (at what was - at one time - a Saturn-only plant).

Codename GMT 561, this Chevrolet crossover will likely begin production in August of 2008 - making this a 2009 model. Based on those dates - we're expecting to see an Auto Show debut at either the 2008 NAIAS, or possibly even Chicago - as Chicago tends to preview many SUVs and trucks. Looking through the camouflage, it looks like this all-new Chevrolet entry might even be carrying over some styling cues from the new Malibu!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like this Chevy is going to mirror the exterior of the Enclave more than the Acadia/Outlook. I hope they style it different enough that it doesn't rob the Enclave of it's uniqueness!

To me it looks like they are trying to make the Chevy model a more "sporty" version of the Enclave. I don't really like that...leave our Enclaves alone! :-\

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
:ditto:

I dont want it to be any more cool looking than my Enclave!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well...even if it does end up looking similar to the Enclave on the outside, you know it won't even begin to compete on the inside. (At least it better not...otherwise it better cost $35k+ too!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Relax Coop it won't have the quiet tuning or the waterfall grill. But for someone who just had to replace the transmission on a 2003 Trailblazer EXT and is eligible for a substantial bonus next spring-it may give me something to compare against the Enclave, especially given the lead time headaches many seem to be going through. I also figure to get a little more in trade from my local Chevy dealer than Buick/GMC. I will be curious to see if the Spring Hill plant will be better able to adjust to supply and demand since it will have the benefit of Lansing's experiences and no other lambda platforms to guess on allocation. This may work great for me as my wife loved the Enclave styling vs. Acadia and I just assumed that the Traverse would be almost an Acadia twin like Yukon/Tahoe.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I wouldn't put too much value in the spy pictures. They have ways to confuse the public. I would think GM would have learned the hard way about the perils of badge engineering.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was rumored way back in the spring that the Chevy version would be the cheapest of all Lambdas. Given the $2k spread in the starting prices of the current ones, can we assume it'll be $2k cheaper than the outlook? A Lambda with a starting price in the $25-26k range would probably sell like crazy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Admin-I agree, it would sell like crazy which is why I am skeptical until they announce. Thanks for the pictures, I have been scouring the web for some for the last month.

·
Registered
108 Posts
admin said:
A Lambda with a starting price in the $25-26k range would probably sell like crazy!
I'd be surprised if they could build a vehicle this size for that price. It would have to be bare-bones on the interior.

It's certainly too soon to tell from those spy pics, but it does seem to share a general body stye with the Enclave, and it also appears to have the Enclave's "V" shaped rear window. On the other hand, it shares the angular, sharp side mirrors with the Acadia/Outlook. I'm so glad the Enclave's are rounded...I really hate those pointy mirrors! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
So are they going to build any other lambdas in Spring Hill or only the Traverse? And what are they building there now? Will this plant be dedicated to the Traverse or will the Traverse be added to the current lineup from the plant?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I've heard, the traverse will be the only lambda built in Spring Hill. Historically, that plant was a Saturn-only facility. It's not clear if it will continue to build other Saturn vehicles along side the Chevy Lambda, or if it will become dedicated to building just the traverse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if this will replace the Chevy Equinox and/or Trailblazer? Seems like it will be too similar in size to have all three (or even two).

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
admin said:
From what I've heard, the traverse will be the only lambda built in Spring Hill. Historically, that plant was a Saturn-only facility. It's not clear if it will continue to build other Saturn vehicles along side the Chevy Lambda, or if it will become dedicated to building just the traverse.
Wouldn't they have to pound out a heck of a lot of that vehicle to keep a whole plant running? What Saturns are made there now?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
grd398s said:
I wonder if this will replace the Chevy Equinox and/or Trailblazer? Seems like it will be too similar in size to have all three (or even two).
its replacing the trailblazer and the uplander i know... not sure about the equinox

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
My guess is that the Equinox will stay due to its smaller size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MsS42 said:
its replacing the trailblazer and the uplander i know... not sure about the equinox
I believe the Equinox stays, but the Torrent goes away as Pontiac becomes a "cars only" GM brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
zman said:
Wouldn't they have to pound out a heck of a lot of that vehicle to keep a whole plant running? What Saturns are made there now?
None. The last Ion rolled off the line there in March. The Vue production was moved to Mexico.

The Traverse as of now is the only slated vehicle to be built in Spring Hill, but it's supposed to be a flexible line capable of producing multiple size/configuration vehicles (similar to LDT). My guess is if the Lambdas continue to take off, one of the 3 produced in Lansing will move to Spring Hill.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
tk421 said:
None. The last Ion rolled off the line there in March. The Vue production was moved to Mexico.
Wow, I obviously did not know that. That's an awful lot of real estate to be just sitting there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
zman said:
Wow, I obviously did not know that. That's an awful lot of real estate to be just sitting there.
GM laid off about half the workforce for 18 months while they re-tool the entire plant.

·
Registered
103 Posts
tk421 said:
I believe the Equinox stays, but the Torrent goes away as Pontiac becomes a "cars only" GM brand.
I thought I read somewhere, maybe gminsidenews, that the Torrent would be transferred over to GMC around
2010 as part of the transformation of Pontiac back to a "cars only" GM brand. This makes more sense to me
since it is also rumored that the Envoy would be killed off about the same time, and this would allow GMC to
still have a 5 pass CUV/SUV in their lineup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts