EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live Colorado and have owned our Enclave since Oct. We noticed that all the chrome on the vehicle has deteriorated. The dealership said it's from MgCl (used to keep the roads from icing). They said they'll replace it but only once. We get the car cleaned regularly and haven't seen this problem with our other vehicles. Anyone else having issues? I'm not comfortable signing off that GM will only take responsibility this one time, it seems like defective chrome to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Wisconsin and my chrome wheels are really taking a beating and I wash it once a week....I don't really know what I am going to do about it.....
Rob

·
Registered
358 Posts
My chrome on the car seems ok for now but the liscense plate holder screws have all rusted already. I bought the chrome front and back holders. The holder itself is ok. Is there anything special I should do to stop the corrosion? I'm going to buy new screws and replace these b/c they look nasty. I was wondering if there is something to rub on them possibly like WD40?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Enclavious said:
My chrome on the car seems ok for now but the liscense plate holder screws have all rusted already. I bought the chrome front and back holders. The holder itself is ok. Is there anything special I should do to stop the corrosion? I'm going to buy new screws and replace these b/c they look nasty. I was wondering if there is something to rub on them possibly like WD40?
I would try to determine what size they are and try to order stainless steel versions of the fasteners. You may be able to order on-line from a place like McMaster-Carr.

www.mcmaster.com

·
Registered
358 Posts
HI. My covers are just like yours but the screws aren't covered. I wonder if you can just buy the caps? That would solve the issue. I bought mine at a Parts store and didn't think to look then. I'll have to stop by. I want to see if they have the gold mist paint pens in too. The three dealers I've called all have to special order them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A few suggestions for chrome care. For chrome wheels you should try Mother's power ball. This is a red foam looking ball that you attach to your electric drill. You apply chrome polish to the foam ball and apply to your wheels or anything else chrome. You won't believe how well it polishes. You can get carried away with this on other chrome products.

For rust protection, you can coat chrome or any metal with Boeshield (developed by Boeing aircraft as an anti rust sealant for airplane parts). It comes in a spray can and provides a seal on metal and voila, no rust. I purchased a can for around $9 at Classic Motoring Accessories. If rust has already started, there is another spray that removes the rust before you use the Boeshield. Great stuff.

Press

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Glad to try to help. THANKS for the thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Enclavious said:

Dont buy expensive screws!
Take off one and go to Lowes or Home Depot. They sell any size you want at very reasonable prices. ;D

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
newtobuick said:
Dont buy expensive screws!
Take off one and go to Lowes or Home Depot. They sell any size you want at very reasonable prices. ;D
Unless they're metric screws. The ones near me don't sell them at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts