EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and it looks like I might the first one to tackle this task.
So today I went out and cleaned my chrome oval exhaust tips.
I had noticed some light rust spots were starting to form.
But after a good cleaning with some chrome polish they look a whole lot better. :thumb:

They say pictures are worth a thousand words...
Before

After

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
One thing I sometimes chuckle at--- cars- that are washed--- but you look at their tips-- and they are chrome/stailess-- but you can tell that they have not been washed in a long time (car wash guys prob ignore them)..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good man Barrios, I just couldn't let them get rusted.
They look better cleaned. Keep up the great work.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rbarrios said:
One thing I sometimes chuckle at--- cars- that are washed--- but you look at their tips-- and they are chrome/stailess-- but you can tell that they have not been washed in a long time (car wash guys prob ignore them)..
Maybe they become too hot to safely clean.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
rbarrios said:
What's even worse than this to me is the clean cars you see with front rims that are absolutely black with brake dust, while the rears are fairly clean. Not only have the wheels not been cleaned, but they also haven't been properly rotated!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I haven't taken the time to do ours either in almost a year and a half of ownership. I keep noticing them when I wash it, saying I need to do it, but then out of sight, out of mind. ;D

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I bought some chrome cleaner called Blue Magic one time when I was at Walmart; that's what I've been using and it seems to do a decent job.

·
Registered
703 Posts
JaviCXL said:
I searched and it looks like I might the first one to tackle this task.
Sorry, you're not the first to tackle this:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1437.0
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=8933.0
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2843.0
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=105.0

But I will compliment you on how they look -- they really shine :thumb:! I clean mine with Nev-R-Dull each time I wash the Enclave and I wax them a couple of times a year (when I wax the chrome wheels).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been using Blue Magic for over 10 years now. Its the best compared to Mothers, F1 wax, Autoglym, Miquires...etc.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
wpgpolice said:
I have been using Blue Magic for over 10 years now. Its the best compared to Mothers, F1 wax, Autoglym, Miquires...etc.
I have been wondering what people are using to clean these when they get carboned over. Thanks for all the valuable information and these two examples in pictures REALLY helps me to get off my keester and do something about it!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The key to addressing this problem is simply to stay ahead of the problem; don't wait until they're discolored. For those who wash by hand, simply make sure you remember to hit 'em with the sponge or wash wash mitt (preferably one you don't mind getting stained) as the last thing before you dump your wash water.

After that, pretty much any commercially-available chrome cleaner will help with stains.....and don't forget to finish with something as simple as a spray wax to gloss them up.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
wpgpolice said:
WPG, I went out and bought some of that Blue Magic 7 oz. metal polish cream. WOW! That ammonia is strong. Well, this stuff WORKS GREAT! :thumb: I also use Eagle One cotton wadding Polish - same stuff as Nevr-Dull. I wonder if Brass-o would cut thru this gunk too? Thanks for the tip!(so to speak - Chrome Tip).

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I have yet to actually polish my chrome tips....but after it's run thru the automatic wash, they look much cleaner. Between washes, in the summer, I'll take a paper towel and dust off the excess soot. Perhaps this summer I will try and get them really good.

I wouldn't do this with the Enclave, but on my GTO...those tips had a lot of grime from years of forgetting to mess with them, so I got the SOS pads out and got all the crap off those and they shined like new. ...let me see if I have a photo of those....OK took me a while to find a good shot that shows the tips. In 2011 and 2012, I drove my neighbors to their prom. You can see the tips pretty good if you zoom in on the photo. They were cleaned up for the first prom (purple dress), and last year's prom she was wearing the red dress.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Here are a few more shots of last year's prom. :

(of course they rode in the back seat, that one picture with her in the front seat was posed).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
kidsenclave said:
I have yet to actually polish my chrome tips....but after it's run thru the automatic wash, they look much cleaner. Between washes, in the summer, I'll take a paper towel and dust off the excess soot. Perhaps this summer I will try and get them really good.

I wouldn't do this with the Enclave, but on my GTO...those tips had a lot of grime from years of forgetting to mess with them, so I got the SOS pads out and got all the crap off those and they shined like new. ...let me see if I have a photo of those....OK took me a while to find a good shot that shows the tips. In 2011 and 2012, I drove my neighbors to their prom. You can see the tips pretty good if you zoom in on the photo. They were cleaned up for the first prom (purple dress), and last year's prom she was wearing the red dress.
I don't think there would be anything wrong with using 0000 steel wool to clean all the grime off the tips. I would probably choose to use a little oil with the steel wool if I was going to do it. I try to keep mine clean so that they never get a hard-to-remove buildup on them. I don't like the black soot on my tailpipes; to me, it's just like seeing a freshly-washed car with wheels and tires that weren't detailed. The first thought that crosses my mind is: Why did you even bother in the first place if you were only going to do half the job? :confused:

Speaking of which, how about the cars you see driving down the road with black front wheels from brake dust that's never been cleaned off? You also know the wheels/tires have never been rotated on them! If that type of basic, routine maintenance hasn't been done, it leaves me wondering about the more important stuff also, like oil & filter changes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sweet looking GOAT :thumb:

I use the 'Scotch Bright - No Scratch' sponges w/ the scotch bright backing that I use to pre-clean the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher (yeah I'm a modern man, I do the dishes in my house - plus the dishwasher gets loaded the right way - which of course is my way ;D.)

Once these start getting in ratty condition, they get retired to the garage for various purposes. I always keep a couple for Chrome work. Quick, easy, effective and I've never scatched any chrome surface with it.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I know this is still off topic, but I just posted my very first youtube video, late to the game I know, but had to share. Since it's of my GTO driving up to the school with my neighbors to their prom, and I had posted photos above, thought this would be best place to show it. Hope you don't mind. Now you can hear what those exhausts sound like on the GTO. ;)

Video quality is a little shakey, even with the auto correct youtube provides.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts