EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question. Has anyone heard a clicking noise, sounds like transmission, it makes a sound my 4 wheel drive did on my last car when it was engaged. It happens everytime I start the car and start driving, but does not happen anytime after that. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Antilock brake check if my memory of various posts is correct. Someone who knows may show up some time this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
cchatelle said:
Quick Question. Has anyone heard a clicking noise, sounds like transmission, it makes a sound my 4 wheel drive did on my last car when it was engaged. It happens everytime I start the car and start driving, but does not happen anytime after that. Any thoughts?
Yeah, my AWD does it mostly when backing up a bit, then driving away, immediately, and then stops! I'm talking 2 seconds MAX! Never happens w/ normal stop/go driving.
I believe it's normal or a break-in period. My Yukon does it also w/20K miles on it. Very minor issue w/ me. But you may differ ; :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
agreed, it is a very minor issue, but I wanted to make sure that nothing was wrong. If anyone knows for sure feel free to post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
The ABS system does a self test at about 7 MPH and about 20 MPH. See if it coincides with those speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
see the note I just posted in the service bulletin area. i'd put a link if I knew how.
 
G

·
i agree with who suggested this before (i cant remember who) but we should stickey this issue with the abs, just so we dont see it so much, mr moderatior or mr admin can do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I listened for the timing of this today. It is about 7 seconds after beginning driving, but it happens with backing up or just taking off in forward. It only happens when the car has sat for awhile or has been driven for the first time in the day. I want to continueto monitor this and hope that everyone will post their experience with it. I intend to mention it to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
htrdgrma said:
I listened for the timing of this today. It is about 7 seconds after beginning driving, but it happens with backing up or just taking off in forward. It only happens when the car has sat for awhile or has been driven for the first time in the day. I want to continueto monitor this and hope that everyone will post their experience with it. I intend to mention it to the dealer.
I think you have the ABS brake "test procedure occurring". (as mentioned in manual) Not to be confused w/ "the clunk/thud" some have (ME!) when backing up, then pulling forward, especially first drive of day! Still unresolved by me and not a major concern after 4500 miles. But I also will mention to dealer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I finally read that portion of the manual and you are probably 100% correct. :) Thanks! It talks about the diagnostic test that the car does. Pretty advanced, I must say. I am a little disappointed that this feature can't be silent. I will still bring it up with the dealer when I go in. I only have a little over 100 miles on it, but now have heard both clunks or claps or whatever they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
htrdgrma said:
I finally read that portion of the manual and you are probably 100% correct. :) Thanks! It talks about the diagnostic test that the car does. Pretty advanced, I must say. I am a little disappointed that this feature can't be silent. I will still bring it up with the dealer when I go in. I only have a little over 100 miles on it, but now have heard both clunks or claps or whatever they are.
Hi. We should all read ROSTEN's recent post in SERVICE BULLETIN section, for more info on Thud/clunk noises!! I'll post it if I have time. There are some minor front, rubber strut mounts being replaced if noisy. I think I have 'em. Not same as ABS noise. Just FYI :thumb:

Here it is..........THX Rosten!




"My enclave makes a clicking noise that can be felt in the steering wheel and pedals. The dealer found a service bulletin.

Bulletin Number: 070308006
Subject: Squeak/Creak/Pop Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Front Strut Upper Mounts)

Condition: Some customers may comment on a squeak/creak/pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This noise will most likely occur during low speed turning after a small to medium suspension travel.

Cause: The cause of this condition may be due to the front strut dust boot rubbing against the vertical face of the retaining cup.

Correction: Replace front strut upper mounts with new design."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I thought it was just me and that there was something wrong with something in my front end. I kept telling my husband about that clicking noise and it always happens within that time frame of going into drive.
It was driving me nuts. I can somewhat feel that little click also under my gas pedal foot. Other than that and the gas mileage I love this car.
So am I reading this right that it is normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
The noises and clicking that I hear and feel in the pedals and steering wheel is definitely not normal. I hope the new front strut mounts fixes it all but to be honest I'm a little dubious.

My gas mileage is horrible as well. I'm sure that will be next to impossible to ever resolve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I think you have the ABS brake "test procedure occurring". (as mentioned in manual) Not to be confused w/ "the clunk/thud" some have (ME!) when backing up, then pulling forward, especially first drive of day! Still unresolved by me and not a major concern after 4500 miles. But I also will mention to dealer!
I have my car in for service now. I have the clunk/thud noise after backing up and putting in drive. It started as the first drive of the day, now it will do it every time the car has sat for a while. The dealer first told me it is the normal ABS test. When I pressed them they told me they don't hear the noise at all. When I have the car it makes this noise every single day, I find it hard to believe they don't hear it. They have had the car for 3 days now (other problems) they should definitely hear the noise. Has anyone made progress with this noise? On the Acadia Forum, someone posted a fix in January. Document ID # 2039347 Subject: excessive ABS Initialization Noise under models it list the 2008 Enclave.
It talks about reprogamming the EBCM. Has anyone had this done and does it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Rosten said:
The noises and clicking that I hear and feel in the pedals and steering wheel is definitely not normal. I hope the new front strut mounts fixes it all but to be honest I'm a little dubious.

My gas mileage is horrible as well. I'm sure that will be next to impossible to ever resolve.
Don't despair, my friend! If you FEEL the clunk/thud, it's different than the sound-only, that I experience. I bet the replacement rubber cures the Feel part anyway. as for the sound issue, I've finally determined that it IS the way this sled tests it's ABS system and can live w/that. OKKcowboy recently posted a bulletin # where they can re-flash the computer to lessen the test noise it seems? I won't bother if it's Normal.

As for gas mileage, I got mine in July and saw a big drop in MPG after "winter formulated" gas came out in Oct. I went from about 24-25MPG HIGHWAY ONLY, to 19-21 MPG. Local went to about 13-14MPG from 14-16 MPG. I believe "summer" gas starts in late April. Has to do with the oxygen content for pollution. I think every state conforms to the policy? Bet you go up!!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top