EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about. When I start the car, I reverse out of the garage and then put her into Drive, after about 2 seconds of driving slowly down the driveway, there is a low "thunk" sound that I can feel thru my feet. It sounds like something is 'engaging'. Should I be worried?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
*Enclave* said:
I just want to know if this is normal or something I should be concerned about. When I start the car, I reverse out of the garage and then put her into Drive, after about 2 seconds of driving slowly down the driveway, there is a low "thunk" sound that I can feel thru my feet. It sounds like something is 'engaging'. Should I be worried?
:ditto:
Enclave, since our 'Claves are related by birth we may have the same (bad??) batch of somethings. It sounds to me like the left front CV joint area (there probably isn't a left front CV, but if there was that's the sound it would make ;D. I'm concerned too, I had my daughter walk next to the wheel as I did what you describe above but, of course, it didn't make a sound when we were watching it! :banghead: It may be related to a slight turn as you start too, no??
I keep saying to myself that it's just breaking-in but I think I know better!
It happens maybe 40% of the time so I'll try to figure out how to "make it happen" then take it by the dealer and have a tech. listen.
Let's keep each other posted...I'll let you know if anything big falls off over the weekend :eek:...I'm at 110 miles now.
I was thinking of searching the Acadia boards, we can't be the only ones to have this issue right ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I got the same thing happening after I go about 50-150 feet forward!

If I have my left foot against the brake pedal I can feel a slight clunk or tap .

It sounds to me like a cable or line of some kind hitting the floor from underneath.

Also I have FWD not AWD. Very interesting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Apparently it's normal...the Acadia guys have numerous threads, it is as RT/BB said, the ABS doing a check. It should only occur at the first "take-off" of each drive cycle...that makes me feel better. :clap:

Here is the thread:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2575.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Page 4-4 of the manual addresses this. It is not terribly descriptive but I recall someone stating that the vehicle will perform the ABS test at about 7 MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Zman is completely correct, we all have it, it is normal and is the ABS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
How about a sticky for this bad boy so every other new owner doesn't have a heart attack after waiting "years" for their ride :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnt, Zman, Bsox, Rocky and Thunder! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel so much better now! It is definitely not an issue for me since it is supposed to happen...It is a fairly quiet sound I probably would not even hear it if I had the radio on (but I would still feel it in my foot, I guess). You guys are awesome! This forum is great! I probably would not have totally believed my service guy if he told me it was normal and would have kept worrying. Thanks again! I wuv you all! :love: :love:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not a guy, mwah :love:

;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
We've had many posts on this in this forum also, about 40-60 days ago! Consensus noted the ABS system check, but I am convinced it is my front clutch packs or CV joints "setting-up", after I back out of my driveway! I have AWD but noise is exactly as described, then no more, until I back up/go forward again!
Seems quite normal for this auto. My Yukon AWD does not do it, however. Much diff system/trans.

I however have not felt the "thud" some have. Maybe because it's AWD??? Anyway, I too, am not worried about it.

*Enclave*, ;) good to know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
zman said:
Please tell me you're not a guy. :)
Thats pretty narrowed minded for you in this day and age Zman ;D ;D :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
bsox said:
Thats pretty narrowed minded for you in this day and age Zman ;D ;D :cheers:
To each their own, until it involves me. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
This is not the ABS guys. My Grand Prix did the ABS self-check, and it was very smooth and quick. My Enclave has had this clunking in the left-front since the second I drove it away from the dealer. My thought too was a sloppy cv joint or perhaps a stabilizer link not torqued right. It's most certainly not right. It sounds like metal binding/popping. Sometimes it's worse than others, and it will really clang around if you go over a large dip in the road. The strange thing is that it only does this after start-up.
 
G

·
you know are acadia did this, i took it in and had them check the susopension and they put some weather proof greese on it and now its quiet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
BuicksRbetter said:
This is not the ABS guys. My Grand Prix did the ABS self-check, and it was very smooth and quick. My Enclave has had this clunking in the left-front since the second I drove it away from the dealer. My thought too was a sloppy cv joint or perhaps a stabilizer link not torqued right. It's most certainly not right. It sounds like metal binding/popping. Sometimes it's worse than others, and it will really clang around if you go over a large dip in the road. The strange thing is that it only does this after start-up.
Maybe the noise you have in yours in different, but if it only does it at start up, at about the same speed, and there are so many of us who here similar noises, we have one of two choices, all of us have sloppy cv joint or bad stabilizer link etc. or this is a normal phenomena of the ABS as described in the manual that occurs at around 7 mph. Or you really do have a different noise that is not normal. I personally am confident the noise in mine that is reproduced at the same time each time is normal operational noise. IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
said:
This is not the ABS guys. My Grand Prix did the ABS self-check, and it was very smooth and quick. My Enclave has had this clunking in the left-front since the second I drove it away from the dealer. My thought too was a sloppy cv joint or perhaps a stabilizer link not torqued right. It's most certainly not right. It sounds like metal binding/popping. Sometimes it's worse than others, and it will really clang around if you go over a large dip in the road. The strange thing is that it only does this after start-up.
BuicksRbetter ,............."really clang when going over large dip in road"?? Is the dip within first 100 ft. of pulling forward? Are the wheels straight or turned? You may have something lose other than/in addition to, what we have. Our noise is gone within first 35-100 ft. of going forward, right after backing up. (like a differential clutch pack setting up/engaging/adjusting?) But it happens on smooth road, w/o dips. You seem to have different, yet similar condition, but strangely, also, "only after start-up", like ours does??? HMMM......... ??? Could we be just describing the noise differently?

I must confess, I've had another, additional, rare situation where sharp, left turns only, WHILE GOING OVER A BUMP, WITH WHEELS STILL TURNED SHARP, (like turning into a parking lot, with a big dip) have made a rubbing, groaning, noise, but no "clang" like you describe. Happened twice! NEVER while going straight, even with large bumps, dips, rough roads, or anything else. Happened after driving more than 10 miles, too!

I figure my 19" wheel is rubbing on the inner fender well, or something, and plan to have it checked on next oil change. Very rare occurrence though and NOT the "clunk" referred to earlier, as mileage driven is irrelevant.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
I always thought it was the AWD system engaging, but then again, why would it engage if I am driving on dry pavement. So ABS check makes more sense to me. I have been noticing it for at least 3 months, so not a big deal, it is still the same little clunk sound and feel.

It is still under warranty so no worries. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
BuicksRbetter ,............."really clang when going over large dip in road"?? Is the dip within first 100 ft. of pulling forward? Are the wheels straight or turned? You may have something lose other than/in addition to, what we have. Our noise is gone within first 35-100 ft. of going forward, right after backing up. (like a differential clutch pack setting up/engaging/adjusting?) But it happens on smooth road, w/o dips. You seem to have different, yet similar condition, but strangely, also, "only after start-up", like ours does??? HMMM......... ??? Could we be just describing the noise differently?

I must confess, I've had another, additional, rare situation where sharp, left turns only, WHILE GOING OVER A BUMP, WITH WHEELS STILL TURNED SHARP, (like turning into a parking lot, with a big dip) have made a rubbing, groaning, noise, but no "clang" like you describe. Happened twice! NEVER while going straight, even with large bumps, dips, rough roads, or anything else. Happened after driving more than 10 miles, too!

I figure my 19" wheel is rubbing on the inner fender well, or something, and plan to have it checked on next oil change. Very rare occurrence though and NOT the "clunk" referred to earlier, as mileage driven is irrelevant.
Yes, the wheels are straight, and it happens in the first 10-50 feet or so. It also happens on smooth roads. If I take off gently, it won't do it...me thinks CV joint! When was yours built? Mine was built in September. I guess I'll just have to get it in sometime. BTW mine is FWD.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top